Cruising with food allergies

rucruizin

:( I have recently been diagnosed with Celiacs Disease, or gluten intolerance. I also have dairy allergies, not just lactose, but the protien in dairy. I had recently become vegan, but in light of the new diagnosis...don't know if I can live on such a restrictive diet.

Anyone out there with longer term diagnosis than mine, who can offer ideas, support, info, etc.?

Thanks

I eat a vegan diet and do fairly well on cruises. I tell the TA to note it in the reservation, and I write the cruise line as well as call to the special needs dept before the cruise. The first day upon boarding I go to see the maitre'D/headwaiter and make sure it is noted in the computer and they know who I am and where I am sitting. Then I work with the waiter/headwaiter or dining room hostess, depending on the cruise line, to special order meals each day for the next day.

You do have to be careful on the buffets. They do cook a lot of the veggies in chicken stock....

:( I have recently been diagnosed with Celiacs Disease, or gluten intolerance. I also have dairy allergies, not just lactose, but the protien in dairy. I had recently become vegan, but in light of the new diagnosis...don't know if I can live on such a restrictive diet.

Anyone out there with longer term diagnosis than mine, who can offer ideas, support, info, etc.?

Thanks

Hi - Wow - you got a double dose of trouble there. I have the gluten intolerance and you should find a few postings I've made about the various ships we've been on. I didn't comment on the last one - NCL Star because it was the hardest I've found to stay safe and still enjoy.

My best advise is tell them ahead that you have the problem. Ask for the maitre 'd. If they don't seem to understand, ask for a chef - there is usually one assigned to allergies. Remind them when you order, double check and question when your food comes.

Think that is too much trouble? You know how bad you feel when there is a mistake. As far as adding additional restrictions- might make it very hard to get a balanced diet.

A lot will depend on what ship/ cruiseline you are on.

Archived