How to find a moose?

MJWisconsin

My wife and I are departing Northbound on the Diamond Princess in July.

She really wants to see a moose.

Princess offers an trip from Skagway called Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure for $189. It says they see moose on this trip all the time.

Has anyone been on this trip? Is there any other shore trip that would be good to see moose? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks!

The most reliable places to see moose are Denali, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. They are harder to find in SE Alaska. I have seen moose (and bear) up on Soldier Pass north of Haines, but I have only very occasionally seen them lower down where the boat tour goes. Just don't be disappointed if you don't see one. Another good place is in Glacier Bay if you go there. Find the rangers just after they board and ask them to keep an eye out. You will need good binoculars, but they are often on the beaches of the islands in the lower bay.

My wife and I are departing Northbound on the Diamond Princess in July.

She really wants to see a moose.

Princess offers an trip from Skagway called Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure for $189. It says they see moose on this trip all the time.

Has anyone been on this trip? Is there any other shore trip that would be good to see moose? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks!

Excellent trip, we took this excursion in 2001 and saw bald eagles and a couple of moose in the river. You have an excellent chance in July of seeing plenty of wildlife on this excursion, this is a remote area close to Haines.

We also saw moose in the interior of Alaska in Anchorage, Denali and Fairbank.

You have an excellent chance in July of seeing plenty of wildlife on this excursion, this is a remote area close to Haines.

I'd certainly argue the "lots" of wildlife - you got lucky to see moose. The river runs pretty much alongside the road, and although I've seen a few moose along there it's hardly an every-day occurrence. You'll see as many eagles at any port without an excursion. It's a pretty drift, but I think that calling it a wildlife excursion is a stretch.

Murray

I'd certainly argue the "lots" of wildlife - you got lucky to see moose. The river runs pretty much alongside the road, and although I've seen a few moose along there it's hardly an every-day occurrence. You'll see as many eagles at any port without an excursion. It's a pretty drift, but I think that calling it a wildlife excursion is a stretch.

Murray

You right, your probably see more wildlife going to your outhouse than we do on excursions. :D

The moose love to hang out in Anchorage. Our bus driver told us that there are over 200 moose in the city limits! And we have seen several of them! Keep your eyes open, they like to graze in open areas. We also saw several on the bike trail in Anchorage, along with a bear or two.

If you do a search for "Haines raft" (I just did), you'll see that most people saw no wildlife on that trip.

I put a salt block out to attract moose to my corral last week, but no luck yet (there's a LOT of moose poop around the property, I just need them in a better viewing spot). The outhouse trips are best for Northern Lights viewing :D

About the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve

tree.jpg

The Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve was created by the State of Alaska in June 1982. The Preserve was established to protect and perpetuate the world's largest concentration of Bald Eagles and their critical habitat. It also sustains and protects natural salmon runs and allows for traditional uses, provided such uses do not adversely affect Preserve resources.

The Preserve consists of 48,000 acres of river bottom land of the Chilkat, Klehini, Tsirku and Chilkoot Rivers. The boundaries were designated to include only areas important to eagle habitation. Virtually every portion of the Preserve is used by eagles at some time during the year.

The river "flats" of the Chilkat River, along the Haines Highway between Miles 18 and 21, are the main viewing area for eagle watchers and are considered critical habitat in the Preserve.

http://baldeaglefestival.org/

ramoose.jpg

snowmc, do you mean the Tony Knowles Coastal trail? Is that where you saw the bears/moose? I was thinking about biking this trail (alone). Will there be many people on the trail around mid-June. Would hate to run into a angry bear/moose all alone.

snowmc, do you mean the Tony Knowles Coastal trail? Is that where you saw the bears/moose? I was thinking about biking this trail (alone). Will there be many people on the trail around mid-June. Would hate to run into a angry bear/moose all alone.

I would also like to know this. I had read that it is a possibility on the TK trail and wondered how you "dealt" with it. I kind of figured we would have to sing loudly along the trail, but was worried about coming around a blind corner and seeing one or the other.:eek: I read that there are some steep downhills that would be hard to control if you have to worry about approaching a bear/moose.

I would also like to know this. I had read that it is a possibility on the TK trail and wondered how you "dealt" with it. I kind of figured we would have to sing loudly along the trail' date=' but was worried about coming around a blind corner and seeing one or the other.:eek: I read that there are some steep downhills that would be hard to control if you have to worry about approaching a bear/moose.[/quote']

You can minimize your risks of running into either by not using the trail late evening or early morning. Also, it is a long trail, and the portion through the more populated areas is less likely to have either. The trail is used a lot, and I've never noticed anyone singing to warn the animals.

Is there any other shore trip that would be good to see moose? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks!

I'm thinking I could make a fortune offering my yard as a "tour". I've never begrudged the moose finding food in my yard, but this spring is riduculous. They're eating everything over 6 inches tall, every night. And what they don't eat, they rip out and leave on the ground. After viewing the "evidence" of their visit 2 nights ago, I realized that if I had been in the den and looked out, I probably would have screamed (not from fear, just being startled), because the mooses' heads would have been right at the window, not even 2 inches away.

A few weeks ago, our son and grandson were watching a calf right outside their living room window. The cow was across the yard. Suddenly she looked up and charged the window. Son and gs hit the floor, and the moose stopped just short of the window. Not sure if she saw the people, or her own reflection in the window, but she obviously saw whatever it was as a threat to her calf.

Yes, that is the trail. There were plenty of people on the trail..most of the wildlife was off in the distance, but we did happen on one moose who was feeding just off the trail. We moved forward a bit and then stopped to watch him. Really amazing...they are huge...but they don't really pay much attention to people unless you are bothering them.

How to find a moose?

Rent a vehicle - car, RV... doesn't matter which. Do NOT purchase insurance for said rental. You will be almost guaranteed upclose and personal viewing of moose.;)

In all seriousness, both our land trips in Alaska we've seen moose near Anchorage, north and south, and in the city itself. We have never once seen a moose on the cruise portion of our three cruises of Alaska.

How to find a moose?

Rent a vehicle - car, RV... doesn't matter which. Do NOT purchase insurance for said rental. You will be almost guaranteed upclose and personal viewing of moose.;)

In all seriousness, both our land trips in Alaska we've seen moose near Anchorage, north and south, and in the city itself. We have never once seen a moose on the cruise portion of our three cruises of Alaska.

Thank you for my second out loud laugh of the day!:)

Archived