Question for Parents of Teenagers

Ratatouille

What to do when they don't want to go on any excursions and it's not just a case of not liking a particular excursion? Our teen is a good kid at heart but he is frustrating the h--l out me right now. If we're going to Alaska we should explore! Some of the tours are quite expensive so we cannot do all. I am tryig to pick a few to maximise our overall experience and do not mind if the teens want to go on their own excursion. That is, if they can. I am assuming since the older one is 18 (and VERY responsible) we can sign a waiver form and off they go??

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone else??

Our teen is a good kid at heart but he is frustrating the h--l out me right now. LOL:D

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone else??

YES

I'm learning to pick and choose my battles with my two boys (15 & 13). We are going to Alaska in June with my brother's family and my parents. We included the boys in on all the choices we made as far as the excursions go. That helped a lot. They wanted to go ZipRiding and ATVing. DH loved the ATVing part but was not crazy about ZipRiding. I have no fear of heights so I'll be doing the ZipRiding. DH will meet us for the ATV. We all decided that a glacier trek would be more more fun for us than just a landing. In Skagway both boys wanted to do the White Pass RR which isn't a very active excursion but they wanted to spend one excursion day with their grandparents who are both in their 80's.

Now we are also spending a few days in Vancouver prior to the cruise. My son researched and found a great skateboarding park in downtown Vancouver. We will give them about four to five hours to skateboard providing they do not nag me the rest of the time about when they can go there. Hope you have a great time.:)

Thanks for both of your replies.

I will try to find contact info on NCL's website to ask about teens going on excursions alone.

And look up more excursions to discuss with them. Especially grumpy 15 yr old who do not want to do anything with else and just barely gets excited about going on the cruise. (Grr!)

It is no use wondering, but check with Norwegian for their policy.

I know that on Carnival Conquest, my daughter signed up for two shore excursions (she was 14) through the teen club, and they sent a teen club counselor with her to chaperone. One was horseback riding in Cozumel, with just her and the chaperone, and one was a jeep tour in Jamaica with 2 other teens and the chaperone. She was excited that she got to do something to her liking and not necessarily have to go along with her more sedate parents!

Does anoyone have a phone number I could try? I tried calling NCL today on two different numbers listed on their site and got no one. One number answered with an automated message along the lines of "this is a conference line". The other did not answer at all. :confused:

Archived