Port Canaveral Departure Times

Just a FYI - I was on RCCL's website today - under their FAQ's - under Air Travel - there's a thing that configures earliest flight times based on airport/cruise port combinations. It's no guarantee from RCCL - but at least it will give you an idea of when THEY expect you'd be able to get off the boat and get to the airport.

What is the earliest I should book a flight out of Orlando (MCO) after a cruise in Port Canaveral?

we cruised on the SOS out of Port canaveral in Feb and disembarkation was one of the quickest and started fairly early as I recall. We had checked luggage and were off the ship by 8am and had a prepaid limo pickup for 9:45am am I believe. we were at the airport l before 10:30am, our flight was 12:45noon. The security lines at Port canaveral are quite long...figure a half an hour to get thru security. we had plenty of time to kill. I would book a flight next time around 12noon, no earlier. Also factor in your transportation times...those shuttle buses wait for their buses to fill up before departing the pier. rental cars take alittle extra time returning at the airport and their shuttles.

we cruised on the SOS out of Port canaveral in Feb and disembarkation was one of the quickest and started fairly early as I recall. We had checked luggage and were off the ship by 8am and had a prepaid limo pickup for 9:45am am I believe. we were at the airport l before 10:30am, our flight was 12:45noon. The security lines at Port canaveral are quite long...figure a half an hour to get thru security. we had plenty of time to kill. I would book a flight next time around 12noon, no earlier. Also factor in your transportation times...those shuttle buses wait for their buses to fill up before departing the pier. rental cars take alittle extra time returning at the airport and their shuttles.

We have gone on two cruises on the Sovereign and both times our flight home was at 11:55 am. We have not had any issues, we are usually back to the airport by 9:30 - 10. We do the self disembark and are usually in the vehicle and on the road before 8. We have another one booked in August and have the same flight time going home again.

I would say anytime after 12 noon is usually pretty good... but what if something happens? Then you miss your flight. For instance... on the Mariner a couple of years ago, we had to stop in Miami on our way back to Port Canaveral for a medical emergency which delayed us several hours. We didn't get into Port Canaveral until almost 10 am. We were not released off of the ship until closer to 12:30 pm. Our flight was at 2:30 pm. We did not make it with the shuttle back to the airport and checking in. Luckily we were able to get on a later flight... but it screwed up a lot of people!!

Just something else to keep in mind. Since then, we've always said we'd book a later flight (5 pm or so) and spend some time around the Orlando area if need be.

My DD & DSIL are trying to decide the same thing for our Mariner cruise in August. They have a choice of a 12:50 and a 3:50 flight back to El Paso. They are taking the 3:50.

I think they could make the 12:50 flight, but she doesn't want to stress about it. We are driving down from NJ and staying at the Radisson the day before and leaving the car there. They are flying in from TX and meeting us at the hotel the day before the cruise. We don't know how long it will take to get off the ship, get the shuttle back to the hotel, then load up the car etc.

Also, we don't want to rush our goodbyes. The cruise will be the first we will see her since she got married in January and moved to TX. Even after a spending a great week together on the ship with our whole family (My parents are hosting this wonderful "Family Cruise" for 14 of us; themselves, my family and my brothers family :D ) it is going to be hard saying goodbye.

Waiting at the airport won't be so bad if they are together, but there is a strong possibility that my SIL might not be able to make the cruise :(. He is in the army and they have mandatory Gunnery school in August. The exact date is not yet known. We are hoping to find out definately before final payment.

There is always the option of trying to get on the earlier flight if they get there really early.

Sometimes you have no choice on flights. And, it depends on how you are getting back to the airport.

If you can get off the ship, and right into a private limo/taxi being on the road within 5 minutes of being out of the terminal, I would suggest the earliest flight be 11:30 am or so.

However, if you have flexibility, get a flight around 1pm would be ideal. Not too late, and no stress if something goes wrong.

Archived