Calling Canada??

Hello all... i am headed on a Southern carribean cruise in August..

Iwant to be able to call home once a day to check on my 2 little girls..

I refuse to pay $6.99 on board the ship :eek: Has anyone dealt with this before?

Are you able to buy calling cards in the ports and do they have payphones you can call on??

I have this posted else where but was advised by another CC member to post under each port and I may get better answers??

Yes you can buy calling cards in St. Thomas, some of the small grocery stores have them - try Gourmet Gallery, which is right at the Havensight Dock. There are payphones in the dock area. Also in the area are calling stations and they have callling cards, phones and usually internet too.

--Islander

I was in St Thomas on the Glory on Christmas Day. I have my cell phone through Aliant (a division of Bell) and I was not able to connect when onshore in St Thomas but could call when on the ship when we were in port. I spoke to home for 5 minutes and was only charged $2.50.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but before I left for the cruise I added a "Talk USA" feature to my cell phone. For $10 a month it provides a bundle of roaming minutes that can be used day or night, 20 minutes of airtime and long distance inclusive while in the USA for incoming and outgoing calls.

There were no pay phones on the dock near the ship that I could find but there I think there was a bar/souvineer shop that had phones that you could apparently use.

Here is some help with locating the payphones at Havensight: they are by the small post office and there are some along the road parallel to the dock, between the dock and the shops. Take a look at the Havensight website site at http://havensightmall.com/, scroll down a bit to the map and then find the bottom, left of the map and move over along the bottom until the first flag which is next to the small yellow van - just above that you see the black label for the post office and above that the label for restrooms and phones. And there are a couple other phone labels along that road. Also if the Tourist Info. office is open you can stop in and ask for assistance in finding calling cards, phones and so on; if there is a ship in port they are usually open. Hope that helps.

--Islander

Archived