Slow postal Mail service from QM2

socsthecat

I sent some postal mail while onboard the April 16th QM2 TA. The ship docked in Southampton April 22nd. I recently found out that this mail was actually postmarked in Southampton on May 6th, the day after the next time the QM2 was in Southampton. So I suspect my mail did back-to-back TAs before finally making it to the Royal Mail proper.

It wasn't urgent mail so I'm not bothered about it, I just thought it was funny that a supposed Royal Mail Ship would handle the Mail so poorly :eek:

One of our dearest friends from the WWC and SCC mailed a postcard to Captaintandem and me from QM2 in either February or March. He also sent a postcard to himself as well as some other friends. As far as I know, none of us has received their postcard:eek:

One of our dearest friends from the WWC and SCC mailed a postcard to Captaintandem and me from QM2 in either February or March. He also sent a postcard to himself as well as some other friends. As far as I know, none of us has received their postcard:eek:

This could explain why I haven't heard from either person I mailed postcards to from QM2 at the end of my TA.

Since we landed in Brooklyn and one of the recipients lives in Brooklyn, I wouldn't have thought it would take more than two days!

BTW, I haven't been on CC: (other than responding to posts in my roll calls) since we returned. But I came over to check out the comments in the Malta Star abut Miss Vicki getting a bit slap-happy with the wharf on her maiden. Newspaper had comments from Cruise critic quoted!

Karie,

Sadly, no new trips scheduled....yet!

(Trying to talk Marc into 2 July New England)

Chuck and I are still waiting for that wayward postcard to find its way to Covington. All of our letters and cards written during the February Presidents Day trip were handed to the Concierge to post, and US postage was paid.

I did find it rather unusual that the card home posted on the recent QE2 transatlantic crossing arrived last week with a German Post Office meter franking.

I called Maria tonight. She got the post card mailed from QM2. It was postmarked the 29th from Brooklyn (With the QM2 post) We disembarked on the 28th, so that was reasonable. She got it several weeks ago, which means within a few days.

So I guess the AMERICAN postal service managed to get it across town!

Karie

The best thing you can do is to put your cards directly into a local post box yourself.

Several years ago I mailed post card on the QE2 (first leg of the world cruise) prior to departing her in LA, I gave them to the pursers desk. They were being mailed to Canada.

I later found out they didn't get put into the post until the ship returned to NYC 3 months later!!! The post mark was date April and we sailed in January.

I think it is great that the Queen Mary 2 has a British mail box right on the ship (hence it is RMS Queen Mary 2 for Royal Mail Ship) so I went to the purser's desk shortly after getting on board in New York to ask where the mail box was (and maybe to get stamps(?)). He said that if I mailed it before 5:00pm they would take the mail off and mail it right from New York, which seemed to defeat the purpose of mailing it from the ship. I waited until after the ship sailed and, of course, it was not mailed until after the ship got to London; the delay was worth having a QM2 postmark on the card.

On QE2 at least, one can go to the Purser's and use the stamp "Posted from QE2" or something to that effect. Therefore I'm not sure if it matters what the postmark may indicate. Not sure about QM2, I've given up on mailings from a ship.

Karie, I'm glad your recipient receive hers, Captaintandem and I sent several postcards from the wilds of Denmark in 2005 and they have not yet arrived at their destination:cool:.

On QE2 at least, one can go to the Purser's and use the stamp "Posted from QE2" or something to that effect. Therefore I'm not sure if it matters what the postmark may indicate. Not sure about QM2, I've given up on mailings from a ship.

Karie, I'm glad your recipient receive hers, Captaintandem and I sent several postcards from the wilds of Denmark in 2005 and they have not yet arrived at their destination:cool:.

Oh, that darned slow Danish postal system! <G>

KP

Archived