How much weight did you gain on a cruise?

AandBmom

I'm curious how much weight other people are gaining on cruises.

I'd love to hear how long the cruise was, which ship and whether or not your were slim, average, or heavy to start?

I just returned from the Legend, 7 days,where I gained 8lbs. I was rather average to start!

How about everyone else?

The Mrs. and I sailed on the Glory April 26-May 3. Both gained about 6-7 pounds. I was blessed with the metabolism of a Formula 1 race car and lost it within a week. However she was quite pleased today when she lost the last "cruise pound"...:D

But we went to the gym and walked on the treadmills every morning at 6:00 for 30 minutes and took the stairs. Had light breakfasts (lots of fruit and yogurt), middling lunches (deli sandwiches, fish and chips, etc...) and saved up for cocktails at the Burgundy Bar and dinner!

I always gain weight on a cruise. I gain a lot of water weight because I rarely eat out or eat things with a lot of salt so when on vacation I pack on the water weight. Normally lose it within a week of beign home.

I always gain weight on a cruise. I gain a lot of water weight because I rarely eat out or eat things with a lot of salt so when on vacation I pack on the water weight. Normally lose it within a week of beign home.

I've lost two pounds on each of my week long cruises. I'm not tiny - about a size 14/16 if that gives you and idea but try to stay active. I ate whatever i wanted onboard and was able to lose but I struggle with it here at home. I think it's all the walking, I take the stairs everywhere, book a forward cabin so that the pizza and ice cream are a good walk if I want them, and try to do active excursions like snorkeling or hiking.

This is a cute thread.....

Let's see...We were on a 7 day cruise...I gained, if I recall, 6 pounds & DH gained around 8 pounds.

We hadn't cruised for 10 years and kinda forgot how much you could eat...We normally do not overeat like we did on the cruise...but we had a blast! We actually ate pre-dinner since we had the late seating:eek: Oh, how I miss all that food!! (Sad, huh?)

I do know that it took a heck of a lot longer to lose it then it took us to gain it:eek: :D :)

I had never had to worry about weight in my life UNTIL I went on my first cruise. On the last night of a 7 day cruise I couldn't even button my slacks for dinner! I thought I had to try everything in sight, never missed a midnight buffet. Gained around 20 pounds in those 7 days and only ended up losing about 12 of them. My next cruise next month I don't plan on going through this again. I learned my lesson.

On our cruise in April/08 I actually lost 4 lbs.

It seems that whenever i go on a cruise I say "I am going to be so good on this one, I'm eating fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch....etc etc". Usually half way through i basically say the heck with it and just go for it. Usually 2 lobsters on formal night...I just can't help myself

This was the only cruise I have ever lost weight on. I usually come off lossening my belt by a notch or two.

My DW always makes me get up and walk with her in the morning. :eek: That's why i try to take a bunch of people with us so she'll let me sleep.....and find someone else to walk with.:)

Gaining weight on a cruise isn't an issue.

NOT LOSING it after the cruise is. :eek:

Between June 2004 and Nov 2007, I put on 20 pounds over 3 and a half years (41 days total at sea). Every pound was cruise weight that I didn't take off. I finally got it off after my last cruise.

I couldn't keep that up...especially since we've started cruising regularly now.

So, don't worry about what you gain....just make SURE to get it off after the cruise is over. :D

I'm average weight, (BMI 22) and all diets and healthy eating stop when I cruise.(smilie)

I gain an average of 5-8 lbs with every week-long cruise (because I really want to enjoy myself. I don't eat so much in every day life.) I usually lose it again 2-4 weeks after returning home.

Exception...I actually LOST weight the two times I sailed RCCL. The food was so AWFUL that I hardly ate the entire week.

We didn't gain any weight on our 6 day cruise last month. I think it was all the walking we did because I certainly ate a lot of food lol

I agree I don't gain anything but it is not from lack of eating. I am about 15-20 lbs overweight. The elevators seems to take a while so I usually take the stairs and I am sure this really helps.

I was amazed at our weight after our cruise last September. I actually gained NO weight at all! I think it's from all the walking you tend to do, either on the ship or while on the excursions. You do a LOT more than you think you do because you're having so much fun! Whatever the reason, I ate what I wanted and gained absolutely no weight! My wife, however, gained about 4 lbs. Not bad. If you stay active I wouldn't worry about weight gain. Have fun and eat what you want! You're on vacation after all! ;)

I'm curious how much weight other people are gaining on cruises.

I'd love to hear how long the cruise was, which ship and whether or not your were slim, average, or heavy to start?

I just returned from the Legend, 7 days,where I gained 8lbs. I was rather average to start!

How about everyone else?

I am a lifetime member on WW and follow the plan when I'm not on a cruise. We were away from home for a total of 10 days where I was off plan. I do not follow the plan on holidays or cruises. I consider myself an average size person now. I gained just a little under 10 pounds during the 10 days we were away. Alot of that ends up being water retention and goes away after a few days. It usually takes me a few weeks to get back to where I started pre-cruise. I refuse to keep the extra weight so I go right back on track when I get home and hit the gym extra days.

We don't take the elevators and get in lots of walking but since we hit the gym regularly at home my body doesn't consider that enough of a workout while cruising. On our first cruise I felt every single stair so I knew I was getting a work out. Now I can take the stairs and not even flinch so I can't count that as a good workout. My plans to hit the gym on the cruise .....lolololol never pan out.

I would be considered normal build but I gain weight easily and have to watch my weight. :( Most I ever gained was 10 lbs on a 7 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess even though I do a lot of walking which would include 3 miles on the treadmill at least 5 mornings. When on a cruise I eat a lot and often because I am on vacation and I really enjoy eating.:D Least I ever gained was 4 lbs on a 10 day Noordam cruise. No fault of the ship but weather was lousy and DW was feeling lousy several days. Hard to go eat a big meal when your spouse is feeling rotten:eek: .

On our honeymoon and first cruise with hubby, we both gained weight, about 7 lbs each. Since then, the trend has only continued...:p I was a size 12 when we got married, he was a 36 waist...(both in our early 40's when we got married)

On our last cruise, neither of us gained weight, in fact, I probably lost a few...I work from home and all the extra exercise I got on the ship kept the extra pounds at bay.

Archived