B2 Cabins

rambler-dhaka

I am booked to do a Transatlantic Cruise (July 22 2008) in a B2 cabin on Deck 6. Can anyone give me an idea of the view from a B2 cabin. What do they mean when they refer to a "sheltered balcony"? IS B2 a sheltered balcony?

This may be a silly question, but I am a first time cruiser, so do pardon my ignorance. I understand one pays for alcohol beverages, but what about other drinks (juices, soft drinks etc). Are these charged for?

Thanks

We just finished our crossing in a B2 cabin on deck 6. We loved it. As far as the view goes--if you are on the balcony, you have to stand up to see the ocean. When you look out you just see the sea, not other parts of the ship, which I liked. Remember, there's a huge wind out on the North Atlantic, so the sheltered aspect of the balcony is great. These are gale force winds, literally. The wind is much less on the balcony than out on the open deck. The room is also a little bigger than the ones with the acrylic balconies. We actually used the balcony quite a bit. Have a great time.

We booked a B3 and were on Deck 5. The sheltered balcony is a balcony that has been cut into the hull. We liked it very much, but there are pros and cons of this type of balcony. First, the hull balcony is far less windy than others (particularly good on a transatlantic). There is much more privacy on this type of balcony. Negatives are that you must stand up to see outside, but the view is fine (there is nothing blocking your view). I've heard that passengers on T.A. prefer them over the more open balconies. Anyway, we loved the hull balcony and would book one again.

On a transatlantic crossing, the only virtually setback of a sheltered balcony will be that there is no sea view when sitting, due to its steel railing. Some people also report less brightness inside the cabin than in the plexiglas balcony cabins, but there was not that much difference in my experience at least - and I have travelled on both types of cabin.

Otherwise, sheltered balcony cabins are nicely protected from the wind, they are lower in the ship enabling for less pitching and rolling (both these are great advantages in a Transatlantic crossing), their balconies are larger than those of the plexiglas balcony cabins, while the cabins themselves are exactly the same inside in terms of both size, configuration and decor. You have also unlimited and direct view when standing at the balcony - there is no promenade deck below you and no people looking at you, as happens with the plexiglas balcony cabins. Actually, the privacy is almost total - you can be naked at your balcony and nobody takes notice. And if the weather is good (well, I assume if there is a 'warm' month in North Atlantic, this should be July :) - but never had the experience), you could sleep with your door open and hear the waves splashing below - no plexiglas cabin has this magnificent advantage to such an extent. Add to these that sheltered cabins are less expensive, and you have a great deal.

As to beverages other than alcoholic ones (juices or soft drinks), you pay to have them in the bars and lounges. Juices (and coffee and tea) are free at the Britannia dining room and at the King's Court, the ship's casual restaurant, twenty four hours a day. And if you like soda drinks (Coke, Fanta, soda etc) you can buy a soda card and have as many as you like throughout the day. This card costs $4 per day, I think, and you can get it at every bar. Once bought, it will be automatically charged to your shipboard account every day until the end of the cruise, but you can always cancel it if you wish. Incidentally, note that you can monitor your account using the interactive TV in your cabin.

Since this is your first cruise, you have started cruising with high standards. After my QM2 experience I find it difficult to travel on other ships :) - but certainly this is something personal. Controversial as she may be, the Queen Mary 2 is a ship that everyone must try, at least once in their lifetime.

Thanks to all of you for your detailed repsonse.

Mr Graves many thanks for the invaluable information you have provided.

I am looking forward to the QM2 voyage, because as a child I had done Transatlantic crossings on both the the Queen Mary (1955) and the Queen Elizabeth (1959), with my parents. I always wanted to do this again as an adult and hopefully it will happen this July.

Archived