What do you wear on the plane?

Jeans are my preference for flying. (Not my tightest pair!) They are comfortable in a range of temperatures, hide any dirt/stains you may encounter, and look sharp when paired with a nice top. Layers on top are a good idea. I can be warm schlepping bags through airports, but chilly on a plane. As for shoes, it's athletic shoes for me - the only shoes that allow me to walk great distances - such as to my gate at the airport which always seems to be the furthest one out.

For an overnight flight, I like to take a pair of slippers, like the Isotoner ballet style. They take up little room in my carry-on bag. They help get me in the mood for sleeping, but can be worn if I need to walk to the restroom.

Mostly loose jeans and t-shirt with a pashmina for wrapping around myself should I get cold. Normally wear my running shoes to avoid them taking up too much room in my case. Always always take thick fluffy socks to keep comfortable and the air con on the plane can circulate reallly cold on your feet. Oh and clean knickers, cause after you've been up for 20 hours straight it just feels better to wear a clean pair. :D

I can't wear jeans, or any pants with a waistband on a plane, I have to have an elastic waist. I think I just want to feel like I'm in pajamas while flying, I'm so uncomfortable just sitting there so it helps a bit to not have so much fabric around my waist.

I have a pair of black sport knit pants that are not jogging suit style that stretch in every direction and don't wrinkle. I pair it with a cute top and always take a longer length sweater in case it gets cold onboard.

I see that you are traveling in the fall.

I would wear a pair of black knit or microfiber slacks and a soft twinset, perfect for vacillating between hot and cold temps.

I suggest slides/mules and not sandals as the weather could be cool.

I fly back and forth from London to NY several times a year. My outfit of choice is jeans and flats.

One time I was flying Air France to Tahiti and had first class seats. I was wearing a nike sweatsuit---matching, with matching sneakers and the flight attendant stopped me when I went to turn left into the first class cabin. "M'am Coach is to the right."....I just held up my boarding pass and pushed by her.

So whenever I fly business/first, I try to make an effort since then!

I wear travel knits--usually from Coldwater Creek (great sales in their online outlet!) or citiknits from qvc. They have the comfort of loungewear but much more stylish. I also wear Crocs maryjane or malinidi styles--easy to slip on/off at security and they accomodate any swelling during the flight.

When I fly I like to wear comfortable dress pants, casual dress shoes, buttondown shirt and a blazer or sports jacket (that I stow during the actual flight). While the outfit is just as comfortable as jeans and a sweatshirt it usually has the added bonus of prompting superior service from airline (and hotel) personnel.

Definitely supportive shoes you can get in at out of quickly and take socks in your bag so you can slip your shoes off on the plane and still keep your feet warm. I like to look nice but for long flights my priority is always comfort. Personally I would find jeans just too uncomfortable. My favourite travelng outfit now consists long yoga pants. short sleeved tee with a matching jacket made out of this wonderful microfibre blend of nylon and lycra by Exhale Fashions...it's like a second skin and you can dress it up or down!

Like a previous poster I am always chilled on board so I also carry a light weight pashmina and usually ask the air attendant for a pillow and blanket.

This are all great suggestions. We are flying to the west coast next month. I may decide to wear more stretchy fabics this trip.

I usually wear jeans but I agree that can be a little uncomfortable after 4 or 5 hours on the same seat. I always travel with pashmina type of wrap, I am always chilled.

I don't like using the airline pillow nd blanket. Last time I did, as we were leaving the plane, I saw them folding all the 'used' pillows and blankets and putting them in the upper compartment, the same one we took ours from.:eek:. So never again.:cool:

I need some advice please my first time flying into Europe are Jeans ok on the plane, I'm not the jogging suit type but I have got to be comfy.

What do you wear on the plane?

I have worn jeans, a tee and cardigan sweater; black yoga pants, tee and matching hoody; and dressy cropped pants with button down shirt....all with sandals....all to different places with different flight times and weather.

Wear whatever you feel comfy in. When we traveled to Europe though, I found that the looser the clothing, the more comfy I would be....long flights = bloating for me......

You can be comfy and chic at the same time...

I used to wear jeans but now I wear black stretchy loose fit pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. Last time I changed into these clothes after dinner on the plane and then back into regular clothes just before landing. I read somewhere that changing helps "trick" your body into thinking it's sleep time. I still arrived tired but at least I was more comfy and felt fresher on arrival.

I prefer jeans on the plane, but I only wear lower-rise ones that are very comfortable - I don't like waistbands either, as Happy ks mentioned. And I take a jacket of some sort, and shoes that cover my feet - no sandals. I am always freezing on planes - so I like to dress a little warmer.

What kind of shoes is everyone suggestiong?

I always wear heels, mules or slip on. Granted my feet will hurt by the time I get to my destination but I have to wear heels of some sort. I am really, really short.:o

Mostly loose jeans and t-shirt with a pashmina for wrapping around myself should I get cold. Normally wear my running shoes to avoid them taking up too much room in my case. Always always take thick fluffy socks to keep comfortable and the air con on the plane can circulate reallly cold on your feet. Oh and clean knickers, cause after you've been up for 20 hours straight it just feels better to wear a clean pair. :D

Thank you so much for the clean knicker advice :D

Thanks to all, great advice.

Cottons or natural fibers only. I usually wear khakis, a cotton pullover and a cotton/linen/wool blazer. And shoes that are easy to get on and off, but NOT sandals. Something with a little something to them.

All in the name of safety. IF for some reason you have to get off the plane via the slide or there is a fire, synthetics will MELT. And sandals are very dangerous on the slides. I wear loafers, but something slip on with a heel would also be "safety" minded.

I know no one likes to think about the worse case scenario, but I fly a lot and have had a couple of close calls. Believe me, you don't want to be at the end of the slide in your bare feet.

I wear travel knits--usually from Coldwater Creek (great sales in their online outlet!) or citiknits from qvc. They have the comfort of loungewear but much more stylish. I also wear Crocs maryjane or malinidi styles--easy to slip on/off at security and they accomodate any swelling during the flight.

I like travel knits too - I usually wear Chico's travelers - black pants, short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve top (depending on weather) and long black cardigan. Comfortable slides (clogs with socks if cold).

Great shoe suggestions. I appreciate them all.

The problem I will have is I am going from summertime weather (probably) and flying to Seattle which may be a lot cooler.

This shoe thing is making kooky, lol.

I plan on wearing heeled sandals, I always do but I am afraid it will be chilly when I reach the ship in Seattle.

What's a girl (a very short girl that is, lol) to do?

Hey ChefPeg, when in June are you going to be here in Seattle? You do know that we get summer here, too, right? ;) June can still be a little iffy, actually, but chances are the weather will be pretty good for you .. and not too cold. Obviously, chances are better later in the month ....

Hey ChefPeg, when in June are you going to be here in Seattle? You do know that we get summer here, too, right? ;) June can still be a little iffy, actually, but chances are the weather will be pretty good for you .. and not too cold. Obviously, chances are better later in the month ....

Gee, am I stupid? Here I thought summer was only in my neck of the woods.:rolleyes:

I was questioning wearing bared toes in the cool air at the pier near the water. It's always cooler and windy near the ship.

Archived