Group Cruise Planner?

I'm considering being the organizer of a group cruise, if I can find enough people interested in booking the minimum of 8 cabins, among friends and acquaintances who like to cruise. I realize that there is work, planning, and effort involved, but there are also perks. Please share any of the benefits and or negatives of organizing a group cruise.

Also, do you share the benefits among the whole group or accept them for yourself, in exchange for the planning and advertising efforts? I've already been busting my buns with intensive planning and research and feel that I could be a benefit to friends in helping them find bargains, etc.

SD

I'm planning a cruise for my church for January 2009. We are still in the planning part but it doesn't seem that hard since we are using a travel agent. Now that all the information is gathered we are putting together a PowerPoint presentation concerning the two separate itineraries and frequently asked questions.

Once we figure out who is going, they will all be calling the travel agent to book themselves, so I'm out of it at that point. If we were booking directly with RC it would be alot harder on me because I would be responsible for collecting names, addresses and having payments mailed in.

I'm not keeping the money for the cruise fare, we are going to split it among us. As far as the perks, they are great. Our travel agent is giving us a $50 per cabin OBC if we book only 5 cabins. If we can make it to 8 we get a $100 per cabin OBC. Between that and my NextCruise we will have a bunch of OBC...so I'm very happy!

By the way, I've "seen" you around and wanted to tell you, on our last cruise, just a few weeks ago, my husband and I took a basic salsa class onboard and it was so much fun!

Goodluck!

Angela

I would urge you to use a good TA. Otherwise, you become responsible for every detail...

Do you want the hassle of deposits? Payments? Cabin changes? Dining Options? Tour Options? Transfers? air (if flying)? insurance? pre or post cruise hotels?

Then when you get on board...who does everyone call? YOU!

The extra berth discount (one berth for 16 pax) is not alot to split up amoungst your group. How will the group feel about you getting the discount?

Go for it, but use a quality agent!

I'm planning a cruise for my church for January 2009. We are still in the planning part but it doesn't seem that hard since we are using a travel agent. Now that all the information is gathered we are putting together a PowerPoint presentation concerning the two separate itineraries and frequently asked questions.

Once we figure out who is going, they will all be calling the travel agent to book themselves, so I'm out of it at that point. If we were booking directly with RC it would be alot harder on me because I would be responsible for collecting names, addresses and having payments mailed in.

I'm not keeping the money for the cruise fare, we are going to split it among us. As far as the perks, they are great. Our travel agent is giving us a $50 per cabin OBC if we book only 5 cabins. If we can make it to 8 we get a $100 per cabin OBC. Between that and my NextCruise we will have a bunch of OBC...so I'm very happy!

By the way, I've "seen" you around and wanted to tell you, on our last cruise, just a few weeks ago, my husband and I took a basic salsa class onboard and it was so much fun!

Goodluck!

Angela

Hi Angela,

I had to take that photo of my red shoes, because they went with the CC name I chose! :) Thanks for the tips. I've done some other reading today and have more of a feel for how it works with being a planner. I agree that having a TA do the technical stuff makes more sense; so I'm going to send out notices to friends and see what happens. I went back and forth about the "perks" issue and decided that I'd be happier to share the perks. I know that it's okay to keep the free bed benefits in trade for planning, etc., but I think it would feel good to share some benefits and let everyone know, as a surprise, what they are.

Salsa: So much fun! I love the Latin dances. If you are ever going to prep for another cruise, try Merengue--it's a dance from the Dominican Republic--VERY easy, very fun, looks cool with all of the "pretzel arm" stuff going on and the footwork is just marching as you move. They played a lot of merengue and salsa tunes on the cruise that we did. I found a great website that shows how-to's for people who might not want to take a class. It is called salsa-merengue followed by a dot and co dot uk. I hope it is okay to post this here. If not, someone can fill me in. It's a free on-line tutorial and fun to view the videos. You go to the site, click on the dance: salsa or merengue then work down the list on the left...the videos start under "Tutorial Programme." I'm always offering to teach friends, pre-cruise, because Merengue can be used so much....well, Salsa, Merengue, and Rumba! Can you tell that I'm a big fan? My hubby and I have been married for 32 years and this is the most fun hobby we've ever done.

Here, I just find this discussion from Laura (CC Community Manager)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseplanning/articles.cfm?ID=50

She outlines what you have to do for the group and what you may receive by doing it

Actually that information is for a CC Group Cruise. If I understand the OP he is just doing a group of friends. Some of the information may pertain to what the OP is doing.

Hi Angela,

I had to take that photo of my red shoes, because they went with the CC name I chose! :) Thanks for the tips. I've done some other reading today and have more of a feel for how it works with being a planner. I agree that having a TA do the technical stuff makes more sense; so I'm going to send out notices to friends and see what happens. I went back and forth about the "perks" issue and decided that I'd be happier to share the perks. I know that it's okay to keep the free bed benefits in trade for planning, etc., but I think it would feel good to share some benefits and let everyone know, as a surprise, what they are.

Salsa: So much fun! I love the Latin dances. If you are ever going to prep for another cruise, try Merengue--it's a dance from the Dominican Republic--VERY easy, very fun, looks cool with all of the "pretzel arm" stuff going on and the footwork is just marching as you move. They played a lot of merengue and salsa tunes on the cruise that we did. I found a great website that shows how-to's for people who might not want to take a class. It is called salsa-merengue followed by a dot and co dot uk. I hope it is okay to post this here. If not, someone can fill me in. It's a free on-line tutorial and fun to view the videos. You go to the site, click on the dance: salsa or merengue then work down the list on the left...the videos start under "Tutorial Programme." I'm always offering to teach friends, pre-cruise, because Merengue can be used so much....well, Salsa, Merengue, and Rumba! Can you tell that I'm a big fan? My hubby and I have been married for 32 years and this is the most fun hobby we've ever done.

SD, I'm going to check the website out. My husband really got into the salsa lesson and keeps saying, "We need to practice our salsa." :) Thanks!

Back to the group cruise...I think it could also boost your bookings if you share the perk of the free berth. Your friends will tell their friends about it and they will tell their friends all because of these perks.

Archived