Keep Balcony Doors Open?

We were on Voyager last March in 7560 and our A/C worked fine, and we were able to adjust to our comfort level - warm for DW and cold for me.

The A/C did shut off when the balcony door was open. There is a sign in the room indicating the A/C shuts off when the door is open. Upon investigation (always curious as to how things work:o ), there is a round-shaped contact inside the balcony door frame at the very top with a matching contact on the door itself. This appeared to be the mechanism that shuts of the A/C when the door is open. Similar to a lot of setups you see in reosrt hotels and condos. For those looking for evidence, I'll take a picture the next time I'm on board Voyager - although it may be a while as I have nothing booked:( .

We also experienced the wind tunnel effect in the cabin when both the balcony door and the cabin door were open at the same time.

And d#%m those pesky bats..........:eek:

On Radiance class ships, the a/c does shut off when the balcony door is opened. I've tried this on Radiance and Brilliance and both have the a/c shut off if the door is left open. I also noticed that the door seems to slide on those ships with minimal ship motion. Again, side and aft both have wind tunnel affects but I noticed it worse aft than side. I have not tried a magnet on the door to see if that affects the a/c - normally if I have the door open it's because I want fresh air in the cabin.

Interesting, on the Jewel of the Seas (a Radiance Class ship) the A/C did not turn off with the balcony door open in cabins 9584 and 9586. We did not need to use the magnets we brought.

Archived