Kayaking in Ketchikan

smurflady

I'm considering booking a kayaking trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks. They have a 2.5 hr Pennock Paddling trip and a 4 hr Orcas Cove trip. I don't have any experience kayaking so I'm leaning towards the shorter Pennock Paddling trip, but the Orcas Cove trip sounds better for viewing wildlife.

Has anyone done both trips? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

smurflady,

We haven't done this yet but we're booked on the Orca's Cove trip on May 30th. No prior kayaking experience but we thought we'd try it anyway! I'll post a review when we get back.

Laurie

Smurflady- We booked the Pennock trip because our time in Ketchikan is limited and we want to see other things too. Also the Toursaver book has a 2-for-1 coupon on the Pennock tour (but make sure SE Kayaks hasn't filled their quota of TS coupons for that day before you buy the book). I believe Northern Lights may also have a coupon.

Kenish - would you recommend the Pennock trip? Also, did you find any other use for your Toursaver book? We're flying home the same day we arrive in Anchorage so not sure if it's worth buying the book.

I did the Pennock Paddle in 2005, and loved it so much that I have signed up for the Orca's Cove trip this summer. I wouldn't worry about lack of experience - I didn't have any in 2005 (though I had done rowing and canoeing as a child), and I had no problem. Also, part of the longer trip is the boat ride to take you over to the area where the kayaking part occurs, so it's actually not that much longer in the kayak than the shorter trip.

The Pennock Paddle was fun, but it was too short, and it's true that we didn't see all that much wildlife, and probably would have seen more on the longer trip. Did get to see one bald eagle really close though - and a salmon almost jumped into one of the guides' kayaks!

Enjoy!

smurflady- We are going this July, so I can't recommend anything (yet). We are also using Toursaver for the Mt. Roberts Tram weather permitting, the Sea Life Center and Alaskan Leopard shuttle to ANC. A flightseeing flight at Denali paid for the book, although you aren't going up there.

Check the Northern Lights book; it's $50 and may be a better deal if it has the coupon(s) you need.

cruisin- I seem to recall waiting until I got the book so I could give them the code. Call them, make sure the tour you want is available, and ask about Toursaver before you buy the book Maybe you can sweet talk them into taking your reservation and promising to call back with the book code. BTW, Toursaver says they ship from several places and can't provide the book #

We are doing the Pennock paddling tour because we also are in town for only a short time off the Sapphire Princess this July. It is supposed to be a lot of fun. We choose this Kayak trip so that we have enough time to walk around the town as well. Anita

Archived