Passport Dilemma

We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise including Spain, Italy and France. Can anyone who has sailed recently tell me if you were required to hand over your passport for the duration of the cruise? If so, is there any exception to this? We have a family member who insists that they will not give up their passport. While I understand why they don't want to do you really have any choice in the matter?

I have read many posts on whether or not to take your passport on port tours. For those of you who say you only take a photocopy of your passport do any of you know if this really does any good? Has anyone needed a passport but only had the copy? If so did the copy work for you? I think knowing the answer to this would help make this decision a lot easier. Thanks!

We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise including Spain, Italy and France. Can anyone who has sailed recently tell me if you were required to hand over your passport for the duration of the cruise? If so, is there any exception to this? We have a family member who insists that they will not give up their passport. While I understand why they don't want to do you really have any choice in the matter?

I have read many posts on whether or not to take your passport on port tours. For those of you who say you only take a photocopy of your passport do any of you know if this really does any good? Has anyone needed a passport but only had the copy? If so did the copy work for you? I think knowing the answer to this would help make this decision a lot easier. Thanks!

No one took away our passports on our Med cruise, and yes copies will NOT do in some ports. We were on a tour in Croatia and these two ladies had just copies and were refusing to go back to their rooms for the real thing.The customs officer sent the whole bus back to the pier and they were made to go back or forfeit the money for the tour. They did but were very nasty about it, it made our tour run very late. Needless to say we were all unhappy and they acted like we were all being rude for being unhappy with them. :rolleyes:

All passports were collected a couple of times on our Med/Egypt cruise last summer and stamped for Egypt and Turkey; no choice in the matter. Some people were upset because of the requirement to have their passports stamped even though they did not plan to get off the ship in Egypt. No exceptions.

Kathy

All passports were collected a couple of times on our Med/Egypt cruise last summer and stamped for Egypt and Turkey; no choice in the matter. Some people were upset because of the requirement to have their passports stamped even though they did not plan to get off the ship in Egypt. No exceptions.

Kathy

Who doesn't want their passport stamped?? :confused: I want mine stamped at every available opportunity :p

From a Cruise Critic news article dated December 14, 2007:

Libya Changes Passport Rules; Cruise Ships Turned Away

Libya already had a ban on anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport -- so strict that even if one passenger had a stamp and promised not to go ashore, the whole ship would be turned away.

Theron

In 2005, our passports were collected before we got to Greece and returned after we left Turkey. Our ports were located in France, Italy, Greece and Turkey. I don't know which country required this.

Other than it being a major pain to stand on a huge line, hand over our passports and repeat a few days later, we didn't need our passports so it didn't concern us. We always carry a photocopy of it with us and leave one in the safe.

I can't answer the specirfic question, but as Canadians, in 2003 and 2005, we had to surrender our passports at embarkation and did not see them again untild disembarking. And this was on Caribbean cruises.

I strongly suspect we wouldn not have gotten on the ship at all if we had refused to hand over the passports.

My understanding (may be wrong) is that the only point of having a xerox copy of the first two pages of the passport is to have important information in the event you need to go to the embassy and REPLACE a lost or stolen passport. The copy does not take the place of the actual passport.

I am wondering if your family member is thinking of the practice that used to be more common in some international hotels where they did keep your passport at least for a day or so to get some required information- usually you got it back within maybe the first 2 days of your trip??? This hasn't happened to us in years, but I imagine it is still possible in some places.

At any rate, there is no reason to give up your passport on a Med Cruise. It may be checked, stamped, required for entry to a country or to re-board, and occasionaly required for ID for credit card purchases, but it won't be required to be 'given up' in the sense that you would have it out of your sight and away from you for any duration longer than a few seconds.

I am a passport bringer, and there are some that are passport copy bringers. Make your own choice- risk loss/theft of your passport, or risk huge monumental inconviences and possible expense if you are stuck without it and you actually need it. Do you leave your driver's license at home because you are afraid it will get lost or stolen??

Thanks for the answers! It sounds like I will have to weigh which risk I am more willing to take..not taking my passport when we get off the boat and hope the copy works, or take the passport and guard it with my life. Sounds like a good reason for me to buy a new bag, I hear the pacsafe's are awesome:)

I can't answer the specirfic question, but as Canadians, in 2003 and 2005, we had to surrender our passports at embarkation and did not see them again untild disembarking. And this was on Caribbean cruises.

I strongly suspect we wouldn not have gotten on the ship at all if we had refused to hand over the passports.

We've had it both ways in the Caribbean. Sometimes they took ours and held them for the duration of the cruise. Other times, they checked them and handed them right back. I've never understood why. And no - there was no choice as to whether or not to surrender them.

2P.P1

Powriv, I believe you didn't have a problem was because passport wer not required to cruise the Carribbean. The copy was problem considered the same as a license, just and ID. I do not think the a copy of your passport would be sufficient in a country where it is required.

I have only been asked for my passport on entering or leaving the country when passing through Immigration (and sometimes customs), most recently via air to Cancun and return. On cruises, only on embarking and debarking at the first and last port.

We always take a couple of copies to use if the passport is lost. Never had to use the copy but lots of sites advise having the copy to use in case the original is lost to save time at the Embassy or Consulate when applying for a replacement.

I do remember turning it in to the Hotel overnight but not in the last ten years or so. I suppose the Immigration system is now sufficient for most countries.

Cheers

Thanks for the answers! It sounds like I will have to weigh which risk I am more willing to take..not taking my passport when we get off the boat and hope the copy works, or take the passport and guard it with my life. Sounds like a good reason for me to buy a new bag, I hear the pacsafe's are awesome:)

Money belts are your friend if you want to carry the Passport. I usually use an ankle wallet if wearing long pants. On a cruise, I usually leave it in the room safe and carry a copy. Otherwise, in a hidden location on my person, not something that can be grabbed away like a backpack or purse.

Cheers

Archived