Gate Checking Stroller

Jen105

Does anyone know if a gate checked stroller counts towards our checked baggage allowance on US Air? I did purchase a seat for my 2yo and am hoping I'll be able to have 3 pieces of checked luggage in addition to the stroller.

Also, we have a Maclaren Techno XT stroller. It's some what larger than the Volo that seems really popular on these boards, but not much(about 14lbs), is this still a good choice for our cruise? We plan on using it for the ship and beach excursions. Thanks!

All I could find was under the FAQ's, they said that either a car seat or a stroller was allowed for a LAP baby, which is not your case. I think it's safe to assume that if she has a seat, you can take her stroller.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/FAQs/newpolicy.aspx#lapchild

How many are there of you traveling? If you bought your tickets before Feb. 26th, you are exempt from the second bag fee anyway. It's is only $25 anyway.

I will admit their site is not too user-friendly.

As far as the stroller is concerned, I think you're fine with the MacLauren. You need a stroller that is not too wide and folds down nicely, which this does. I had similar and it worked great on the cruise. I stowed mine behind the door.

Remember to bring a bungee cord to double secure the stroller before leaving it on the jetway. They can get damaged if they pop open en route and it only takes a second to tie it up.

Here's my flying tips;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good cruise!

Thanks Sharon. We just missed the cut off for 2 bags/person. Oh well, if we have to pay we'll pay. $50 RT is a small price to pay for wrangling a 2yo ball of pure energy anyway;) . Great web site BTW. I had heard of domestic airlines refusing a FAA carseats, so it's good to know that I have a right to install it!

Also if you have one of the nice MacLaren strollers you might want to consider the special bag they sell for them. I've had too many strollers damaged and dirtied by gate checking that with my new Quest, I bought the bag to keep it safe!

Thanks for the post...reminder to check out our airline policies with all of the recent changes. We are flying Continetnal to Paris. On European flights, Continental still allows 2 pieces of checked bags per passenger. Also, they do not count a stroller or car seat as part of your carry on baggage allowance- hadn't even thought to check that so thank you!

To the best of my knowledge, gate checked items are still done at no additional charge and do not count toward your checked item limit.

After traveling four times by air with a stroller, I can totally recommend this Gate Check stroller bag. It SHOULD hold your stroller as it holds our Peg Perego Pliko P3 and it's a pretty darn big stroller (for 'umbrella' type strollers anyway)

You can do a web search to find the best deal. (remember to include the shipping cost when comparing prices! It is TINY when folded up and does NOT cost a lot to ship.) I know (at least as of a few months ago) you could order it shipped to store for Wal-Mart (no shipping fee).

Our first stroller was all but destroyed when we gate checked it twice. Our new Peg Perego (which is yellow -- aakkk -- don't want grease stains on that!) is in pristine condition after being gate checked twice in the red gate check bag.

It folds into it's own pocket for storage maybe 4x6 at the most is my guess (I'd have to dig it out to measure it - but it's small and light) Fabric is very sturdy though. I threw it in the wash when we got home and most of the grease stains came out. I know they would have been forever embedded in our yellow stroller though! That bag is priceless (and a LOT less expensive than the ones made by the stroller makers! ;) )

gateCheckBagLarge245.jpg

Archived