Inside Cabins

gettingmarried

Well, the one thing different you will notice is that you will have a tough time telling if it is nite or day in an inside cabin. You can leave your TV on to the ships web cam, which does help a lot.quote]

On the Alaskan cruises, it seems to be day time all the time.:rolleyes:

Steve: This is why we are such a great help to each other. I purchased the "Light All Night Alarm Clock". Great idea! We had been taking a clock that required you to hold down the button on top to light it up....but, since we're both like drunks when we get up in the middle of the night, neither one of us could find the clock, let alone the button.

And, while I was buying that I also purchased the "Travel Tray". I'm always looking for some place to put my watch/ring/bracelets when I'm retiring. Now, I don't have to remove the paper things on the top of the glasses to use them for jewelry holders.

Sorry! Don't want to disenchant this thread. If I can't have a balcony - I don't want to cruise. Same as a land vacation - I need ocean view. To each their own.

Absolutely agree..... a balcony for me. Would prefer to wait & spend that little bit more. Our next cruise sails in to NY. Would prefer to see the view from our own balcony rather than jostle for position on the deck.

We have a choice of a standard inside cabin or an inside w/ handicapped access. I'm assuming the handicapped access cabin has more room, but

we don't need the access and certainly don't want to deprive someone who might. My question; is the cabin bigger, can I reserve it, but let Princess

know I'll move to another if someone needs it??

If I were you...and had the choice of accepting a handicap cabin...I would go for it. I have heard they are much larger..so to make ample room for a wheelchair to be used. Also the bathroom is very large.

Click the links below to see some photos (of oceanviews) of handicap cabins:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1112148521044637373TMurPn

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1094803997050248351fwNskV

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1094777489050248351zWVduf

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1094778135050248351YMQcYi

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1094798032050248351thjfhThttp://travel.webshots.com/photo/1094797698050248351sBvDNs

I can only assume that an inside will have these same features in a handicap cabin. I personally would not worry about taking the cabin...if Princess needs a handicap for someone else. They will notify you and give you a better upgrade for you to give up this cabin for someone with a handicap.

Have a nice cruise!

Yes, the HC cabins are larger, some are even mini-suites. But, if you book it and then comes along a person who can't lift their legs or is in a wheel chair and can't cruise without the accessibility that these cabins offer, they're out of luck....they can't cruise!

Agents and even the cruiselines may book-up these rooms just for the asking.....it's maddening and very upsetting to those who can't cruise without them!

I know how important it is to sail with a "full" ship but the cruiselines and agents should always hold some of these HC cabins until the very, very end.

It's a whole other thread!!!! I know!!!! :(

We too have run the gamut from inside cabin to mini-suite, but the savings can be pretty dramatic, so the idea of an inside cabin with a good chance of an upgrade is appealing to us as well. Unlike most responders, we probably spend more time in the room reading and napping, but the inside cabin is still fine with us. I do find the lack of circadian rhythm to be a bit disconcerting, but not totally disruptive.

Let's face it, most ports (not all) aren't particularly attractive, so you're not missing much, assuming you're even awake as we pull in. There are some very notable exceptions for which a balcony is worthwhile: seeing the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano bridge, all of Antarctica, Panama Canal, and Alaska. s

Thanks for the responses. We'd feel guilty if for some reason someone couldn't cruise because of our wanting a little more room. In the pictures (thanks Mona) it also looks like you give up a little closet space with the extra access.

I booked the standard inside with some OBC, a bottle of wine, and we're on the list for an upgrade. :)

Good job Grammy! Have a wonderful cruise!

I'd sleep in an inside cabin, any day, if it meant we could cruise!!

We had a huge "wrap-around" veranda on the Oosterdam and although it was glorious to sit and listen to and smell the ocean and see the ports....If I could only go in an "inside" cabin.....I'd do it in a blink of a whales eye!!!!!!

If I were you...and had the choice of accepting a handicap cabin...I would go for it. I have heard they are much larger..so to make ample room for a wheelchair to be used. Also the bathroom is very large.

These cabins are larger for a reason. So a wheelchair can maneuver not so a able bodied person can have more room.

Click the links below to see some photos (of oceanviews) of handicap cabins:

This is what makes disabled so upset. People posting pictures of Handicapped cabins to entice able bodied people to book them.

I can only assume that an inside will have these same features in a handicap cabin. I personally would not worry about taking the cabin...if Princess needs a handicap for someone else. They will notify you and give you a better upgrade for you to give up this cabin for someone with a handicap.

/quote]

This is NOT true!!! Princess will not move an able bodied person for a handicapped person. Believe me, I've tried and it is so frustrating. Once the cabin is booked it is gone......Out of the inventory. There is no way to flag a booking.

My mom is in a wheelchair and requires a HC cabin to be able to cruise. I have called Princess seeing if there were any able bodied people booked in HC cabins. Princess said they have no idea if the person in the HC cabin is disabled or not. Then said even if they did know they couldn't tell as it is a matter of privacy.

We have to book a year in advance to book a HC cabin as there are only around 20 HC cabins compared to thousands of regular cabins.

Please don't knowingly book a handicapped cabin if you don't need it.

Thank you Grammy for doing the right thing. :D

I had an inside cabin on CB and thought it was fine. There is a good use of space with the closet area separating the sleeping area from the bathroom.

There are several pluses to inside cabins in general. As has been said, there is the cost. In addition, because they are normally closer to the centerline of the ship, you wil feel less motion than in an exterior cabin. Also, if there is bad weather or cold weather (e.g. on the North Atlantic), you will feel it less in an inside cabin than in an exterior cabin.

Ive done an inside and dont mind them either. Next time I would pack a night light just so I didnt trip over things. Its pitch black, which is nice for a mid afternoon nap.

and we did that often. We have done balcony since the old days but then found ourselves spent less and less time on the balcony. Last time husband counted we spent a total of 30 some minutes on a 7-day Caribbean Princess - got the 1/2 shade 1/2 open deck and a very big balcony no less. So back to the inside we went, on our Emerald transatlantic 2 months ago. :D

We did bring the StickNClick which we bought at CVS. However we found to let the bathroom light on w/ door mostly close work better for us.

Archived