School vacation times

There are a lot of kids on school vacations. I live in NY and our

Christmas vacation starts around Dec. 20-21 and our Feb. break will be Feb. 14-22 2009. I'm not sure about the April vacation though. I would stay away from those dates if you don't want to vacation with a lot of kids. I also hear that not as many children cruise on Holland America.:)

Common times for US kids to be off:

Christmas

New Years

3rd week in February - President's Day holiday

March - April - for Spring Break (varies by school districts but anytime in these months is usually full of kids)

June - August for summer vacation

Week of Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday of November

Common times for US kids to be off:

Christmas

New Years

3rd week in February - President's Day holiday

March - April - for Spring Break (varies by school districts but anytime in these months is usually full of kids)

June - August for summer vacation

Week of Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday of November

I would just add that NJ has a statewide 3 day (I think) teacher's conference in early Nov every year and lots of folks pull kids out (since they only miss 2 days that way). Don't know how it affects cruising but I know Disney calls that week "Jersey Week" since so many folks from NJ go to FLA then.

It all varies from state to state, county to county, town to town, school district to school district. A good time is Septmber, October, early November, late April, or May,but on the other hand parents will pull children out of school just about anytime they feel like it. :confused:

Summer vacations generally start around Memorial Day (end of May) to Labor Day (beginning of September). There is a break the week of Thanksgiving (end of November) and from the week of Christmas to just after the first of January. Spring Break falls around Easter, a couple of weeks either side which is probably when the most kids will be travelling.

Summer vacations generally start around Memorial Day (end of May) to Labor Day (beginning of September). There is a break the week of Thanksgiving (end of November) and from the week of Christmas to just after the first of January. Spring Break falls around Easter, a couple of weeks either side which is probably when the most kids will be travelling.

As a teacher, I can say that the above doesn't necessarily hold true. When I taught in central Illinois, the school year ran from the third week in August until the third week in May. When I taught in northeastern Ohio, it runs from the fourth week in August until the end of the first week in June. Spring breaks do not coincide with Easter, but are frequently in mid-March; instead, there is a long Easter weekend, with most school having off for Good Friday and for Easter Monday.

Archived