Question about Cruising while Pregnant?

Julienatul

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with #2 and I am reading on Carnival and Rccl websites that say you cant sail past 24 weeks and must bring a letter from your OB certifying you are healthy and the gestational age. Is this a new requirement?

I sailed when I was pregnant with DD and I was 16 weeks and didnt need any letter or anything.

We are planning another cruise at the end of this summer when I am 20-23 weeks and I was just wondering if anyone had any touble.

Julie

I've cruised twice while pregnant, once in the first trimester and once in the second. In both cases I was still wearing regular clothes so unless I told someone I was pregnant, they would never have known. I didn't bring a note with me either time.

Since you will be 20 - 23 weeks along when you cruise, you may as well bring the note, especially if you are have a big belly at the time. You are sailing within their rules, so beyond showing someone the note, you shouldn't have any problems. It reminds me of the child traveling without both parents issue - seems like most don't need the note, but some do so you may as well bring it.

The rule is there for good reason. I'm not a doctor, but if my child were going to be born early, I think she would be a lot better off being born in the US where there are excellent NICU facilities than either (a) at sea or (b) at the local hospital on a Caribbean island.

We're sailing on HAL next month and I will be 22 weeks at time of sailing. The reason they want the letter is to be sure you are not over 24 weeks. Once you hit 24 weeks, they must resesitate the fetus if you deliver. I am bringing the letter just case it's asked for, better to be saf than sorry.

I cruised at 23 weeks, and they did ask for the letter, and there was one excursion I booked that I got turned away from(they didn't say no pregnant women for this particular one in any of the literature, because I checked). Other than that, I had a great cruise, the baby probably slept better than any other time in her life (she's 3 now).

I've cruised twice while pregnant, once in the first trimester and once in the second. In both cases I was still wearing regular clothes so unless I told someone I was pregnant, they would never have known. I didn't bring a note with me either time.

Since you will be 20 - 23 weeks along when you cruise, you may as well bring the note, especially if you are have a big belly at the time. You are sailing within their rules, so beyond showing someone the note, you shouldn't have any problems. It reminds me of the child traveling without both parents issue - seems like most don't need the note, but some do so you may as well bring it.

The rule is there for good reason. I'm not a doctor, but if my child were going to be born early, I think she would be a lot better off being born in the US where there are excellent NICU facilities than either (a) at sea or (b) at the local hospital on a Caribbean island.

What was it like cruising in your first trimester?

You might want to check the rules for the letter. They may require you to fax the doctor's letter to their on board guest services department before you cruise. They may not accept a letter you just bring with you. I know the new rule for RCCI and Celebrity requires the letter be faxed before you depart. If the letter is not on file, they could deny boarding. Ever since they had to medically evacuate a woman who went into very early labor, the cruise lines are all rethinking their pregnancy policies. They sure seem scared of litigation, don't they?

Archived