Rough Seas?

We have only cruised twice both times in the Caribbean. We will be sailing out of Rome to Taormino, Malta, Croatia, Naples and Livorno. Is the sailing usually smooth or do the seas tend to be rough? We have not had a problem with sea sickness before just wondered if we should be prepared for a different feel in the Mediterranean. Thanks:)

We have only cruised twice both times in the Caribbean. We will be sailing out of Rome to Taormino, Malta, Croatia, Naples and Livorno. Is the sailing usually smooth or do the seas tend to be rough? We have not had a problem with sea sickness before just wondered if we should be prepared for a different feel in the Mediterranean. Thanks:)

I have only been once.... so far ;) but based on posts here on cruisecritic it seems it depends on the time of year..... but --- we went late November when it is "supposed" to be rough and had calm calm seas. So I would probably say it's up to mother nature to decide.

We've had 1 rough day ( or part of) in both cruises that we've done.

The Med. can get choppy....I usually do my "ginger and peppermint" prior and during the cruise...just in case...and it's worked wonderfully !!( Check at a health food store)

My advise....go prepared !!!

Enjoy..

Sharon

Oops I forgot to say we would be there in June. And yes sfnew2sail we are with State Farm. We are very excited. We are taking our kids (11&13). We all took Dramamine while whale watching in Boston last month and it wiped us out. So I'm hoping we have smooth sailing so we don't need anything. I took Bonine a couple of days on our last cruise and it didn't seem to make me tired. The sea was like glass though so stopped taking it. Have a great time on your trip!

ufmurphys, YIPPEE! I know someone on our cruise!! Really excited here! Our first cruise. I too have loaded up on the bonine, along with sea bands and ginger capsules. My husband also wants a prescription for the patch.

So how long have you all been with SF? My husband has been the agent in our small town in La. for 32 years. Great company!

Look forward to seeing you all in the Mediterranean. BTW, are you leaving out of Atlanta? We are, on a 4:30 flight. Delta.

I wondered about the sea bands. I have not really looked into it. We are new to SF (2 yrs). My husband thinks we have different sailing dates. Our ship leaves Rome June 18th. Is that you? I hope all your seasick remedies work for you. The 2 times we have cruised we have absolutely loved every minute of it! :)

ufmurphys, yes, we're on that sailing. We're in Central region and we sail with FL.

I started a roll call on this cruise several weeks ago. Check it out. Hope we get more to start talking about it.

So what shorex are you all doing? We're doing one on Malta, Legacy of the Knights and the Ruins of Pompeii in Naples.

Are you all doing the extension in Rome? We are. Looking forward to that too.

How do I find the roll call? We are level 2 but decided to go over early to spend a few days in rome. We are doing Pompeii and Sorrento and Florence and Pisa. Haven't decided on others yet. I look forward to meeting you! :)

Go to the message board index page. You'll see cruise lines A-O, P-Z, the roll call section is just under it. I would love to see more on the cruise post on that roll call. Maybe we could have a meet and greet on the ship.

I've learned so much from these boards. People have been so helpful and so knowledgeable about cruising. I, on the other hand, know nothing about the subject. DH would never get on a ship before.

Where in FL are you all? We were just down there a couple of weekends ago with the Chairman's Choice group. Stayed in Hollywood at the Westin Diplomat. We had a great time.

Have fun in Rome. We'll be there for 3 nights post-cruise.

in a zip-lock baggie. Luckily, out of 11 cruises, we've only used it briefly. We claim that packing it is the charm whey we never need it. ;)

Our kit contains the less expensive pressure point sea bands, ginger, a motion sickness drop for the tongue from the health food store, and a bottle of 100 Meclizine. Meclizine is the generic for Bonine and is available over the counter. Usually you must ask the pharmacist for it as it is not out on the shelf. A bottle of 100 Meclizine costs about the same as a small package of Bonine.

Archived