Formal night questions

Hi,

Since I've joined these threads, I've had a look and seen a number of threads about what the 'ladies' should wear.

I've also seen some about the gentlemen. Now... not starting a political debate (because I think it's somewhat different here in Australia than it is in the US)...can/should my husband consider wearing his mess dress (Royal Australian Navy) to the formal dinner? He's done his time (20 years - he joined when he was 16) and feels pride - however I don't want him to be in a position where people may challenge him about it.

On the next topic - could my 4 year old son wear his kilt (he has a full Bonnie Prince Charlie outfit)? My 5 year old DD is, of course, determined to be a princess!

Feedback appreciated - thanks.

I too have seen many men (and kids in kilts) and it's usually a highlight of the night for me... I wish I could get my DH to wear a kilt:)

As for military dress... absolutely... I've seen it and there is nothing more formal than a man in a uniform... what a great picture that will make!

Without exception, I have seen nothing but praise and admiration for an individual wearing their dress uniform, officer or enlisted, they are appreciated, honored and thanked for their service.

Advise your husband: Wear his Dress Uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think formal night on a cruise is the perfect place to wear those very awesome outfits/uniform! I know it would put a smile on my face to pass you in the dining room :)

Have a great cruise!

Your husband should definitely wear his mess dress to formal night. There's nothing classier than a dress uniform IMO. My dad always wears his on cruises (USN-retired now), and my brother is bringing his on our next cruise (USMC). It's a 5th/15th/40th anniversary family thing, and I'm pretty sure they'll both renew vows in their uniforms.

The kilt sounds adorable. Your son will be the star of the dining room. My husband has thought about renting a kilt for formal nights, but hasn't actually done that yet. He brings his tux.

I really enjoy seeing them,I have noticed most are non US.

I find this a bit puzzling , anyone hazard a guess why?

sea ya on board

John

Not sure about the US, but in the UK members of the forces are actively encouraged NOT to wear uniform off base AT ALL. A sad fact of todays increased security for service personel, who have had at times had to face a barage of abuse from certain sectors of the public when they have been out in uniform. I know when my husband wanted to wear his uniform to a funeral he had to have special permission and fill out a request form. :(

Archived