Holland America- Oosterdam?

niso2

Hi All-

We are considering changing our October plans from the NCL Star (which we have sailed on before) to the HAL Oosterdam. We just came back from Carnival from San Diego and it just was not for us.

So, I am wondering if any one out there has expierence with Hal? We are not into heavy duty night life- we like wine bars, good dining and good service. Our kids have joined us on the Princess and NCL ship and have had a great time. Aslo, since thi si ano tthe first time for Mexico, we are nto too concerned about what to do int he ports.

Thanks for any input.

We haven't been on the Oosterdam but we were on the Volendam for two weeks to Alaska last year. How old are your children? Mine was three then so I'm writing from that perspective. The hours for the kid's programs were shorter than on other cruise lines we've been on (I believe they were open from 9:00-12:00, 12:00-4:00 and 8:00 - 10:00). They were short-staffed; apparently some kid's program workers were supposed to get on in Vancouver and "missed the boat"?

But having said all that, my daughter liked the kid's program -- certainly much more than on the Golden Princess or Carnival Spirit (which is the one you would have been on from San Diego). Perhaps, with fewer kids in general to manage, and shorter hours, the counselors are less prone to burn-out and more engaged? Or maybe we just happened to get good counselors on that particular ship? I really don't know. One day we left our daughter for in-port babysitting while on a kayak excursion and she had a great time -- I think she was the only child being babysat but the counselor filled up the time with activities and she had a great time. In fact months later, out of the blue, sitting in her carseat while I was driving, she started talking about how much she liked that counselor.

LeeAnn

We haven't been on the Oosterdam but we were on the Volendam for two weeks to Alaska last year. How old are your children? Mine was three then so I'm writing from that perspective. The hours for the kid's programs were shorter than on other cruise lines we've been on (I believe they were open from 9:00-12:00, 12:00-4:00 and 8:00 - 10:00). They were short-staffed; apparently some kid's program workers were supposed to get on in Vancouver and "missed the boat"?

But having said all that, my daughter liked the kid's program -- certainly much more than on the Golden Princess or Carnival Spirit (which is the one you would have been on from San Diego). Perhaps, with fewer kids in general to manage, and shorter hours, the counselors are less prone to burn-out and more engaged? Or maybe we just happened to get good counselors on that particular ship? I really don't know. One day we left our daughter for in-port babysitting while on a kayak excursion and she had a great time -- I think she was the only child being babysat but the counselor filled up the time with activities and she had a great time. In fact months later, out of the blue, sitting in her carseat while I was driving, she started talking about how much she liked that counselor.

LeeAnn

Thank you for replying so quickly. My kids are 4 and 7 years old- one daughter and one son. The hours of operation kind of concern me. Not that they have to be in kids club all the time! We do like to feed the kids thru room service then it's off to the club so we can have dinner together as a couple. Carnival Spirit is the ship that we were on- it just did not have the same level of service and "feel" that we were looking for.

NCL is a really great ship- we are just trying to avoid flying- but the club may be the hinging point.

Yes, I did think the hours were a bit odd considering Holland America tends to have an older passenger base that you would expect would not want kids in the dining room in the evening. The kid's club hours seem designed to encourage parents to bring kids with them to the dining room, and that's what we did. Also, the hours for the kids club in the afternoon are actually 1:00 or 2:00 - 4:00, not 12:00 - 4:00 as I posted above. What I did find interesting was that, while I expected the opposite, the passengers and staff were amazingly friendly towards my daughter -- much more so than on other ships -- perhaps because there aren't so many children.

NCL was the most kid-friendly ship we've ever been on. Great kid's program and the best counselors, with good hours for the kid's club operation.

That is very interesting on the hours- I am still leaning towards Hal as we can also drive to San Diego from where we live really easily- this means that we can go for the Extended Balacony room as opposed to an Ocean View with the money we are saving over airfair.

The kids are kinda cruise snobs at this point:) so I am thinking they may just want to spend a couple of dinners int he dining room with us- also, I hear they have full room service? On NCL- we ususally ordered them room service then off to kids club and we went off to the dining room.

Decisions! Decisions!

Hi niso2. I recommend calling to confirm hours on Club HAL on your specific sailing. I think it can vary based on ship and itinerary and whether or not you are in port or out of port. Also, I have read you can order the food offered in the dining room in your cabin for room service, so you are not limited to a static menu. Read that the kid's program is continually improving as the demographics shift a bit, so HAL is trying to be more family friendly (an idea that is not always welcome for some of the veteran passengers). I'm hoping as long as we parent our children, we will be fine.

We are cruising for 12 days on HAL with our kids (aged 5 and 6- first for them). We aren't cruise veterans by any stretch- have taken a few Carnival and Royal Carribean which did not suit us (from adult perspective). I think our kids would be happy on any cruise line as long as there is one other child on board, some ice cream, and a pool. HAL appealed to the adults while also offering a kid's program, hence our decision.

Have a great time!

PS

San Diego is one of our favorite spots- lived there for several years pre-kids. It's hard to find a place to vacation when you live in such a beautiful area!

Thanks Destin Mom! I just tried to call the Hal rep and they did not have a clear answer tot he hours. Sounds very similar to NCL hours when I break down the info I have gotten so far. My hubby says go for it- I think he feels I am a bit obessive about planning our vacations:)

Wow, 12 days- I am envious! Sounds like a great trip.

San Diego is our favorite port, we can drive there hit Sea World- eat in Little Italy and have a great time.

My family ( 3 DD's-ages 4,6,8) went on the Zuiderdam last October and it was their favorite cruise so far. The other lines were Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. The attention/service that they received were over the top great and they loved Club HAL. Even though there were only 45 kids under 18 on this cruise, they had alot to do and felt like they got to know the other kids onboard. Just a little bit of advice- don't put much weight on what is said on the Holland board. I found the board to be anti-child but the passangers on board were very nice.

Well, I took the pluge and booked a VB stateroom today! Thanks for everyones help- we are really looking forward to this trip. We also have the Loews Coronado booked and tickets to Se World! Whooooo!!

Niso2- eat a $12 cheeseburger for me at Hotel Del! It was a staple on our 'see San Diego' tour for visiting friends and family. And FYI...you can book lunch with Shamu where they bring you lunch just before the noon-two show at Sea World- highly recommend it. Have a wonderful cruise (and pre-San Diego vacation)...sounds wonderful!

Niso2- eat a $12 cheeseburger for me at Hotel Del! It was a staple on our 'see San Diego' tour for visiting friends and family. And FYI...you can book lunch with Shamu where they bring you lunch just before the noon-two show at Sea World- highly recommend it. Have a wonderful cruise (and pre-San Diego vacation)...sounds wonderful!

Thanks Destin Mom- Souns yummy! 12.00 for a burget, must be reallly good:) Love that hotel! Thanks for the tip about Shamu, we will be looking int it.

BTE, I took your advice and called the customer service, there are 31 kids on this sailing and they are about half and half split in my kids age group- I also found out, one can bring and unlimited amount of wine:D ( we are driveing there watch out- I mean we can bring the wine not drink and drive!). And they have a Eggs Benedict station on the buffet!

Can you tell I am a bit excited about the trip!

Archived