Scuba Diving 05/28/08

scubashelly

My husband and I will be coming into Cozumel on May 28 on the Carnival Legend, but were wondering if anyone has already chartered a dive boat in Cozumel and has extra space for 2 divers or if anyone would be interested in getting one together? Either that or if anyone knows of a diver operation that operates a morning dive after we dock (10am EST)? Since we get into port past the morning dive times, we've had a heck of a time trying to find a dive operator who will take us out without use of a private charter which would run about $350 for just the two of us! Although we are both very comfortable in the water, we are relatively novice divers with only about 10 dives under our belt - Catalina, Moorea and Bora Bora. We're pretty reluctant to use Carnival's excursion operator, Sand Dollar Sports after reading all the negative reviews, but will for the sake of diving :). Thanks!

My husband and I will be coming into Cozumel on May 28 on the Carnival Legend, but were wondering if anyone has already chartered a dive boat in Cozumel and has extra space for 2 divers or if anyone would be interested in getting one together? Either that or if anyone knows of a diver operation that operates a morning dive after we dock (10am EST)? Since we get into port past the morning dive times, we've had a heck of a time trying to find a dive operator who will take us out without use of a private charter which would run about $350 for just the two of us! Although we are both very comfortable in the water, we are relatively novice divers with only about 10 dives under our belt - Catalina, Moorea and Bora Bora. We're pretty reluctant to use Carnival's excursion operator, Sand Dollar Sports after reading all the negative reviews, but will for the sake of diving :). Thanks!

The other poster psbtrvlr is right about asking on your roll call and maybe other roll calls that will be in port the same day as your ship. We use Dive With Martin often and know the staff well, even still setting up a dive from a cruise can be difficult. You will probably be grouping the dive with people you don't know (especially how reliable they are). It is however worth the effort to us if we can put the dive together.

We have also used Sand Dollar from the ships dives and I have never had any real complaints other than limited bottom times. If this was my best dive option for a particular cruise I would gladly take it.

PS - They will pull this thread soon so be aware starting a thread with this type topic on a Port page (looking for others to join an excursions is not within the guide lines, sorry) is not permitted.

psbtdlvr and diverearl - thanks for the suggestions. Thanks also for warning me about the post being pulled - I will have to read the rules more carefully, just figured it might be the best place for others going to Cozumel! Thanks again - if I don't hear from anyone than I will go ahead and use Sand Dollar! :)

Shelly

Archived