Do you tip the Maitre 'd ??

No, I don't.

Unless the Maitre 'd has done something special for me or my party, there is no need to leave a gratuity. Arranging a birthday cake or table decorations or a special table for you is above and beyond and warrants a tip.

On the occasion where he/she has performed an extra service, I've tipped him on the spot, discreetly.

Only if he has performed a special service for me, like changing my table or time. I'm a solo cruiser, and I have tipped a Maitre d' only twice at the end of the cruise...$5.

Wow, I am somewhat surprised by most responses so far. We have always tipped the Maitre "D anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 per cruise. This tip is a reflection of the service you received in the dining, lido and other food service areas. It is the Maitre "d's job to oversee the entire food operations and hundreds of staff, which is a huge job. I dont think people realize this and only tip if they feel the Maitre "d did something special for them. We have a friend who is a Maitre 'D on one of the ships so maybe we understand the depth of the responsibility a little more!:)

Guest scfjjb

Only on one cruise ($20). He visited table every night and assisted with wine service and helped the staff. On all the other cruises we have been on they only appeared on the last night of our cruise and very briefly.

Wow, I am somewhat surprised by most responses so far. We have always tipped the Maitre "D anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 per cruise. This tip is a reflection of the service you received in the dining, lido and other food service areas. It is the Maitre "d's job to oversee the entire food operations and hundreds of staff, which is a huge job. I dont think people realize this and only tip if they feel the Maitre "d did something special for them. We have a friend who is a Maitre 'D on one of the ships so maybe we understand the depth of the responsibility a little more!:)

The Maitre'd's are paid a very good salary to do their job, unlike the waiters and assistants who work the dining room, lido and other areas. I have never tipped a Maitre'd for doing what he is paid to do. If he did something extra for me, I would certainly tip.

Judy

Only if they've done something for us. One cruise, not CCL we never saw the Matre D' until the last night when we were walking in for dinner. That kind of raised an eyebrow for me.

I have tipped him/her when warranted.

We haven't - yet. First 2 cruises the only time he came to the table was what I refer to as "tip night" and last cruise we weren't visited at all.

IMHO, a tip is for going above and beyond. Showing up to your job doesn't qualify.

I tried hitting the quote button but it didn't work this time for some reason. Anyhow, I agree with Judy that, "The Maitre'd's are paid a very good salary to do their job, unlike the waiters and assistants who work the dining room, lido and other areas. I have never tipped a Maitre'd for doing what he is paid to do. If he did something extra for me, I would certainly tip."

I know that someone commented on how much work they do to see that things run smoothly, but it appears that their salaries are based on this already. How many of us here work our butts off and don't get tipped. I don't see what the Maitre D does for most cruisers as "service", not like the actual service staff whom run around like crazy to serve us, so I have never tipped a Maitre D. That being said if a Maitre D went above and beyond what I see their roll to be, I may consider a tip to show my appreciation.

Only on my first Cruise when I atomaticlly filled all the tip envelopes I'd recieved that day. Since then, like many others, I've never saw the need. If I ever need or recieve any special service or attention I'll gladly tip.

I also did not realize that so many people did not tip their maitre'd! We always tip the maitre'd between $40 and $50 dollars! We have been fortunate enough to have really good ones on each of the cruises, and they have always come around in the evening, to check how things are. We do usually ask for a specific dinner time, and even a table to ourselves, and they always do their best to accommodate our requests. Even though they are "just doing their job" it must be a tremendous task to keep the dining room running and trying to make sure that everyone is happy with their seating arrangements.

Not I... Actually, until the last cruise I was on, I had never really taken advantage of the dining rooms except for lobster night. Now, the last cruise I went on, I went to the dining room all except one night (got trashed in nassau, and passed out)

However, I frankly cannot say that I have ever actually met the maire'd, as they have never come table to table asking... In fact, the only times I can ever remember seeing the maitre'd was on the last night of the cruise, where he was standing at the front of the dining room, with his hand out as people entered. Thats just my personal experience however.

Archived