You show me yours...i`ll show you mine...

joanagain

But I'm wondering why it would bother anyone to say what they paid?

Because it's crass to talk about price in public. Either you're perceived as the chubby guy in the bright plaid polyester pants with an open shirt (lot's of hair poking out) and an oddly colored "gold" chain who constantly wants to tell you what a deal he got, or else you give the impression of the jumped-up yuppy-wannabe who's out to impress with how much he overpaid. It's definitely a lose-lose situation. :(

-dave

There is nothing crass about talking about price on a forum such as this IF the purpose is to make each other smarter consumers, and help each other make the most of the vacation money they have to spend. That is indeed a worthy goal of a forum such as this. If the discussion is to impress or belittle, for example, then that is crass. There are a few discussions on CC that become crass. I think this one is in the name of better shopping. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I'd love to share, but haven't booked a HAL yet (am looking for spring) this info is valuable to me as I look around, Thanks

Because it's crass to talk about price in public. Either you're perceived as the chubby guy in the bright plaid polyester pants with an open shirt (lot's of hair poking out) and an oddly colored "gold" chain who constantly wants to tell you what a deal he got, or else you give the impression of the jumped-up yuppy-wannabe who's out to impress with how much he overpaid. It's definitely a lose-lose situation. :(

-dave

Is that the same gold chain that beat the horse to death on the last dress code

debate?:D

Hmmm....afraid I don't agree, either, with the "crass" part in this forum. And we're not really in public. I think talking about the price of anything can be crass or not depending on the manner in which it's being discussed.

But I do totally agree that there are people out there that can be soooo annoying when they've done something ONCE and, of course, done it for better and for cheaper than anyone else. I just felt that comparing prices on in this forum "is a good thing" (if I can say that with poor Martha incarcerated ... another taboo subject;) ).

I feel that because this is a place to gain knowledge about cruising, and there is no better knowledge than to be armed with information about the cost of cruising. Forewarned is forearmed and that's never more true than in the travel business. When you have a "general" idea of what the "per day" cost can be (depending on category of course), it can help enormously when pricing a cruise. A person just has to be very careful to realize that you can't expect to get an "S" cabin for the price someone paid for a "C" category.

Tomc ......... verrrrrrry cute!!!:rolleyes:

Gold chains .... another "no-no";)

Hmmm....afraid I don't agree, either, with the "crass" part in this forum. And we're not really in public. I think talking about the price of anything can be crass or not depending on the manner in which it's being discussed.

But I do totally agree that there are people out there that can be soooo annoying when they've done something ONCE and, of course, done it for better and for cheaper than anyone else. I just felt that comparing prices on in this forum "is a good thing" (if I can say that with poor Martha incarcerated ... another taboo subject;) ).

I feel that because this is a place to gain knowledge about cruising, and there is no better knowledge than to be armed with information about the cost of cruising. Forewarned is forearmed and that's never more true than in the travel business. When you have a "general" idea of what the "per day" cost can be (depending on category of course), it can help enormously when pricing a cruise. A person just has to be very careful to realize that you can't expect to get an "S" cabin for the price someone paid for a "C" category.

Tomc ......... verrrrrrry cute!!!:rolleyes:

Gold chains .... another "no-no";)

Heather, I agree with you that comparing price can be a good thing. If someone was reading this and a member mentions a price they paid for a cruise that they are interested in and if the price made it so it peaked their interest then another cruise could be booked. I think it might be helpful to those who like to shop on the internet and get there prices. It then helps them to have a starting point high or low. I really don't feel it is a bragging thing instead more of a informative thing.

When I found that fantastic price on line for our S Suite on the Oosterdam I shared that information here and several jumped and also purchased the S Suite so we will have quite a few from CC joining us on that cruise. I think it will be fun with so many of us on the same cruise all in the S Suite.

ekerr...you are right! ...thank you for doing the math...the dates you gave are 11/3-12, on the Noordam ...am i getting excieted :rolleyes: ..don`t let me handle the books.

as to not wanting to say what you paid...i noticed that i was really interested in what other people paid...i think we all like to think we got a good deal and would rather not have our bubble pricked...or...?

joan- I don't mind saying what we paid - we paid just a bit less than you did - about $1,100 pp - but we are one catagory below you, I think. We also received $50pp shipboard credit for a promo I read about on these boards and $100 shipboard credit from our TA... oh, and a "gift of wine" which will be Sutter Home White Zinfandel, as it usually is. :)

Hope this answers the question - I didn't mean to be vague, but I am a bit reluctant (as are some others) as someone else will be bound to have "a better deal" than mine, and the less I know about that, the happier I can be with the price I paid. :)

......... I didn't mean to be vague, but I am a bit reluctant (as are some others) as someone else will be bound to have "a better deal" than mine, and the less I know about that, the happier I can be with the price I paid. :)
EKerr, absolutely! And I hope you didn't feel I was forcing the issue. I just wondered why. From what I've seen, most people on these boards are pretty savvy and getting very good prices...a few $$$ here or there doesn't really matter. But if I see an enormous discrepancy I'll know I'm booking with the wrong TA!!! But I certainly wasn't trying to get people to do anything they're uncomfortable with ... I sure hope you know that.

Lisa, I am wondering how many days your Oosterdam cruises are. I remember when you got that price for the Mexican Riviera and now that I've booked a 14 day from LA to Ft. Lauderdale in October 2005 I'm wishing I'd looked into that at the time. The nice part is the Summit dumps me practically at my front door.

I priced HAL for the same cruise and for a Verandah cabin it was a +$3000 or so ... forced me to go with Celebrity even though I was hoping for a smaller ship. But I've sailed Celebrity in the past and been extremely happy ... toss up for me between HAL and Celebrity (except for the burgers and the ice cream where HAL wins hands down:) ).

EKerr, absolutely! And I hope you didn't feel I was forcing the issue. I just wondered why. From what I've seen, most people on these boards are pretty savvy and getting very good prices...a few $$$ here or there doesn't really matter. But if I see an enormous discrepancy I'll know I'm booking with the wrong TA!!! But I certainly wasn't trying to get people to do anything they're uncomfortable with ... I sure hope you know that.

Heather-

I did not read your post that way at all - I thought joan was asking why I hadn't posted the price we paid. :)

I think, for the most part we do pretty well - I have used the same TA for so many years, I probably wouldn't switch just to save $20-$30 pp - she will normally always match any price we find and they make up for it in so many other ways - I am a HAPPY, therefore, loyal customer. :)

It might bother me to hear someone paid hundreds less than I, but I guess that's ok too. Some people have a tendency to round the price of things DOWN a bit, if you know what I mean. ;)

Heather-

..................Some people have a tendency to round the price of things DOWN a bit, if you know what I mean. ;)

Oh I sure do:D !!! So funny. I have a friend who does this constantly! Always getting the best "deal" on any shopping she ever does.

On the other hand, she always has to one-up me when I book a cruise. Just this week I told her I booked the Panama Canal cruise for Oct. 05. She immediately told me that they were going to book a cruise of the British Isles for the Spring and then they were also going to do the Panama Canal in the Fall.

This year as soon as we booked our Eastern Caribbean cruise for this November, she booked the same cruise in December. And of course she insists she will only cruise Princess because nothing else compares or even comes close:eek: and she always pays less than we do by just a few $$$.

Come to think of it, why is this woman my friend????!!!!:rolleyes:

Lisa, I am wondering how many days your Oosterdam cruises are. I remember when you got that price for the Mexican Riviera and now that I've booked a 14 day from LA to Ft. Lauderdale in October 2005 I'm wishing I'd looked into that at the time. The nice part is the Summit dumps me practically at my front door.

Heather, it is a 7 day cruise. Luckily is is pretty close for us No cross Country flights, just a quick 50 minute flight. I would love to have done a B2B at that rice but cab't take that much time off work at one time:(

Oh I sure do:D !!! So funny. I have a friend who does this constantly! Always getting the best "deal" on any shopping she ever does.

On the other hand, she always has to one-up me when I book a cruise. Just this week I told her I booked the Panama Canal cruise for Oct. 05. She immediately told me that they were going to book a cruise of the British Isles for the Spring and then they were also going to do the Panama Canal in the Fall.

This year as soon as we booked our Eastern Caribbean cruise for this November, she booked the same cruise in December. And of course she insists she will only cruise Princess because nothing else compares or even comes close:eek: and she always pays less than we do by just a few $$$.

Come to think of it, why is this woman my friend????!!!!:rolleyes:

Oh I hear you! I have a "friend" like that too! :eek: Wondering why she still is too...

I must admit to being somewhat guilty in the "rounding down" department if DH should happen to ask how much I paid for something... he doesn't normally ask - usually only when it is a large ticket item for one of the kids... boy, did I ever get the look when I "rounded down" the price of the last snowboard I bought for our son. :D

now you see, that is why i appreciate all the info i can get from these boards...thanks ekerr, for sharing that...

we spoke about these promos some time ago...i did not find a promo that was acceptable...and i was running out of numbers...my TA told me that the Noordam was not eligible for any credits...so, i just stopped looking.

actually, i was not addressing anyone in particular, just stating what i thought about this subject in general...as to being vague...i understand where you are coming from, and i think we all have a bit of that in us, but as Heather says, we respect each others privacy.

wow, now that is something, $100 from your TA...as much as i love my TA, i need to cruise more to rate a bono from them.

breaking the first cruise commandment..WHAT DID YOU PAY?

i saw this on celebrity, (i think)... taken from carnival thread...i wonder how many are courageous enough to see how their "good deal" fares with others of the same category...come on, tell us ;)

remember, state which damm ship, length of cruise, and cabin category in your total payment.

any takers?

Doesn't matter for us...We pay 150 to 200% more than any other couple on these boards....Any cruise, any time, any HAL ship......Boo Hoo. And when I say my cruising partner is a real dog, he's got the ears and tail to prove it......

I must admit to being somewhat guilty in the "rounding down" department if DH should happen to ask how much I paid for something... he doesn't normally ask - usually only when it is a large ticket item for one of the kids... boy, did I ever get the look when I "rounded down" the price of the last snowboard I bought for our son. :D

I'm a big rounder downer, too, with DH. I also tend to be a bit cloudy on the "when" of a purchase ... I've bought almost everything "ages ago":D .

And when I tell DH the price of the cruise before booking, I never add on the insurance. I mean, why upset him?;)

I think this is a great topic and couldn't agree more with Dave:

There is nothing crass about talking about price on a forum such as this IF the purpose is to make each other smarter consumers, and help each other make the most of the vacation money they have to spend. That is indeed a worthy goal of a forum such as this. If the discussion is to impress or belittle, for example, then that is crass. There are a few discussions on CC that become crass. I think this one is in the name of better shopping. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I'd love to share, but haven't booked a HAL yet (am looking for spring) this info is valuable to me as I look around, Thanks

Unforutnately, my concern is not the cruise fare its my onboard account total at the end of the week, uugghh!! :D

That said, we are in a cat. SS for 11/6/04, E. Carib. on the Z, booked with an online agency for $1060.00/pp. Anticipating my bar tab to be about the same :p

~Kelly

Staten Island ferry in New York- once paid 5 cents now it is up to a dollar I think. Can't afford it so I swim.

Military ship from Japan to California. Would you believe I paid NOTHING!. They even let me clean the cabin so I did not have to tip the steward.

Canoe trips on the Saco River in Maine way back when I was young (er). The summer camp paid me $500 to take the campers on trips for eight weeks. There was another plus. I met the camp nurse who became my DW a year later.

I have my pension and social security checks direct deposited with HAL and they give me what's left after they charge for our cruises so I don't know exactly what I pay.

I can't get excited about paying the least for a cruise. My TA does a good job and is very fair. We cruise because we enjoy it, not to save the last dollar.

Some people only book suites; some people book the cheapest inside cabin they can. I am sure they all enjoy the cruise regardless of what they paid.

Just think, if you overpay for a cruise there is just that much less for the children to fight over when you die.

Happy Cruising :cool:

I think this is a great topic and couldn't agree more with Dave:

Unforutnately, my concern is not the cruise fare its my onboard account total at the end of the week, uugghh!! :D

~Kelly

Oh kelelmel... we've had a few of those ugly onboard accounts too! Our worst, 16-day Noordam Holiday sailing with 2 cabins & three kids, our 16-yr. old thought phone calls were only $2.00 per call, not $2.00 per minute... :eek: Our tab (on board account - 2 cabins) - about $4,700 for 16 days, inlcuding shore excursions. Yikes! Needless to say, we only had one cruise that year!

Archived