Cruising with a 3 year old....HELP

clawsoncrew

We're going on Carnival next year and it'll be 2nd cruise for DS who will be 3 by the time we go. The first cruise he was barely 6 months old so didn't really have a choice but to take him everywhere we went.

At the ports of call is it best to take them with or leave them at Camp Carnival? We are doing the mexican riviera and will stop in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Any input would be great!!

THANKS

JO

Many people leave their children on the ship and explore but I just can't do it. I'm too afraid that there would be some kind of emergency and either we won't make it back to our child or they couldn't get a hold us for us to make it back to see to our child.

I won't leave my children on the ship because we did have a medical emergency onboard a ship and needed to be medevaced.

So, although I know there are MANY people that do. I won't be one of them. ;)

Being on a ship and having a medical emergency is MUCH different then having the child at a daycare center in the US. At the daycare center, the child is raced to a hospital and you can meet them (by car) probably in under 30 minutes.

On a ship, the child is rushed to a hopital (possibly by helicopter or even a plane) and could be sent to another COUNTRY. :eek:

In our case, the ship was in the Bahamas, they wanted to airlift her back to the states. Can you imagine if we would have been on an excursion when all of this went down? :eek:

So no exursion is worth being separated from my children. We take the kids on all excursions with us.

We always take our DD, 2.5yrs with us. I just couldnt leave her in case something happened to either her or us while we were separated. You never know what can happen.

She has been on 5 cruises and she loves the excursions/port days. Its all new scenery and we try to pick a beach or type of activity that she would enjoy. Just seeing a mexican band with sombreros or a bahama band dressed in costumes is a delight for her or even just taking in the scenery, looking at the big cruise ships. She is always very well-behaved on cruises, and she can be a normal two yr old tantrums and all.

Julie

We left ours onboard once when our twins were 3 but I would not reccomend it. We were to stressed and I think they were in the camp to long. We did an excursion in Belize and they stayed onboard. We were back in 4 hrs but I was to stressed to enjoy the excursion.

We did the same trip you are on when they were 4 and they had a blast. All of those locations have kid friendly excurions and the beach is always a great bet. We did get off the ship in PV without them briefly at night after dinner and they were at the club. We had a drink at the bar right on the dock where ship docks. We felt better as we were sitting righ next to the ship. It was reccomended by the Kids Club Staff so actually, they knew were we were.

We left our kids on board, no problems and they loved it.

After being in Ensenada (and from what I hear/ know about Cabo), I would feel my kids are safer on the ship and in very good hands.

I think you also need to take into consideration how you personally feel about the staff, whether your kids can't get enough of Camp Carnival, etc.

We didn't worry, and we had no cause to before or after our excursion.

Puerto Vallarta has a wonderful resort that is a short walk from the ship with a great kids pool (attached to the huge main pool area), playground, showers, beach - so that's a great port for you all to enjoy.

In Cabo, there is a short excursion that my toddlers enjoy (the Land's End something) that takes you on a boat along the coast and to see the seals. It leaves right from the dock.

If you'd rather not bother with car seats, then I think Mazatlan (and possibly Cabo) would be the place to let your child enjoy the kids club while you do excursions.

Best,

Mia

I would ONLY leave my son on the ship if I were just going ashore to do a little shopping and were near the ship. I'd be too afraid to miss the ship or have something happen to him while I wasn't around.

I took my son to ports when he was 4 and he loved them - the beaches, walking around the different stores etc. Just avoid excursions that would be too difficult or boring for a child (for example, I think the mexican pyramids or ruins and a 3 year old would not be a good mix)

Archived