Vancouver Trolley versus Double Decker Bus tour

Can anyone comment on these. We'd like to try to see a little of the city before we cruise. If we get off the plane, through customs and to the port in a decent time - we're hoping to do one loop around before we sail.

Any pros/cons of either one?

Is there a better option? Is there anyone that offers transport from YVR with a city tour as a pre cruise option - there's just 2 of us.

Thanks for any input.

I have no idea of when you arive in Vancouver but plan that from the time you land until you get to the cruise terminal you are going to be pushing 2 hours. Depending upon your time of arrival you could probably check your bags and do a loop on the trolley but I think a loop without getting off is about 2 hours....so you may be pushing the envelope just a bit.

Our plane lands @ 10:30 AM. So, if we manage to drop off our luggage, climb on the trolley/bus by 1:00 PM we should make it back for our 4 PM sailing. The only ships in port that day are 388 pax and our 670 pax ship. Hopefully this will help things move al ittle quicker for transportation.

Is this cutting it too close?

I really think you would be cutting it too close to try to do a tour before your sailing. If your flight is on time (which our's wasn't) at 10:30, you'll still need to allow time for baggage claim and securing a taxi or other transport to the pier, plus the travel time there. Then, time to check your bags at the port, and to wait for one of the trolley's/buses to arrive. Although I fully enjoyed our tour on the Big Red Bus, if I had the limited amount of time that you will have, if you are sailing from Canada Place, I'd drop my bags and walk about for an hour or two. You can easily walk to Gastown and even Chinatown from Canada Place. And yes, Putterdude is right, the Trolley and the Big Bus estimate 2 hrs for the complete loop tour.

Here's a limo service that picks up at YVR and does tours. Maybe they'd have something you'd enjoy. It would save the time to drop your bags at the pier and go back out. http://www.vancitylimousine.com/tours.html

• 2 weeks later...

If it turns out that you have the time, the trolley tours circle the city, hitting a lot of the major hotels and tourist attractions. You buy a day pass for $35 CAD and you can get on and off at will. They run every 15 minutes and they alternate between the trolley and the double-decker, so you can ride on both if you work it out.

Their website has a ton of information including a map, the schedule and a downloadable brochure. www.vancouvertrolley.com

I was just researching this yesterday. I'm ending my cruisetour with two full days in Vancouver.

Carrie

The concern that I have with their schedule is that if the trolley comes by full they have to wait another 15 mins for another....and so on and so on .... so they could find themselves stranded if they do not stay on the trolley for the whole circuit.

I have to agree with Putterdude and rjscott....I think it is way too risky trying the trolley or bus tour in that tight a time frame.

rjscott's suggestion about having a limo pick you up at the airport, pre-arranged, and do a tour with your bags in the vehicle...see the highlights....have some lunch...see some more...and get the driver to drop you at the pier makes a huge sense to me!!

A good driver can give you a super-tour just bringing you in from the airport if he/she goes the right route!

I would take a serious look at that suggestion were I you...no stress about getting stuck watching full trolley's go guy....traffic jams....wasting time lockering up your bags only to have to get to the pier to un-locker them in time to get on board. Not a great way to see a lot of Vancouver.

Just my thoughts on it.

(If you want a suggested route to tell the driver let us know....I'm sure we can manufacture a pretty good tour right here on the boards!)

If you decide that you might want to go the limo route - here is a link to one company that may be able to assist you.

http://www.vancouverlimos.com/vancouver-limousine-services.html#cruiseship

Briefing browsing there site it looks like they offer both pick up and tours for cruise ship passengers.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Archived