Bring Relief Clothing To Haiti Or Salvation Army?

Hello and Thank You for your feedback.:)

In a short time I will be on a cruise visiting Labadee, Haiti. Do you think it will do any good to bring an extra suitcase full of clothing that my wife and I are no longer using for someone there on Labadee to use or distribute to people they know?

The clothing I am speaking about is be clothing that would ordinarilly go to the Salvation Army. This time I thought I'd make the extra effort to make sure it got somewhere where the direct result would be instant.

If you think it is a waste of time, then I will not take it with me but instead drop it off at the local Salvation Army for their sale or distribution.

Thanks again for helping me decide!

Jonathan

This is certainly a very nice idea, but, how do you follow through with it?

First you have to take an extra suitcase which, if you are flying, will cost you extra money.

Then,remember, if the weather is iffy and seas are rough, the ship will not stop at Labadee. Now you have to pay for the extra suitcase to get home.

If you do get it to Labadee, you might have trouble getting this suitcase off the ship. Most people don't carry large stuff off and you will probably look suspicious.

Now past that, who do you give it too? How do you know it will really get to people that need it, or just be sold on the black market.

Perhaps some group in your area has organized a relief effort for the Caribbean already and would love to recieve and distribute the clothing for you.

So that is my opinion in a large nutshell.

celtic

Labadee is pretty far away from the parts of Haiti that were devastated by the floods plus it's VERY HOT there so their clothing needs are probably very different from what you need in Penn. They'd probably just as soon your support them by purchasing their crafts in the craft market or tipping for services such as the guys who drag your chair where ever you want. While I think it's great you're thinking of those folks, I think I'd just give them to your local Salvation Army or similar organization.

I know this has nothing to do with the topic really, but it always amazed me to see people in the islands with long pants, long sleeved shirts and especially those woolen knit hats in Jamaica. Maybe they really don't feel the heat like we do.:confused:

celtic

Glad to see the nice thoughts of the OP. I have wanted to give to some Costa Maya projects (many started by CC cruisers) in the past. I have wondered the same as Celtic Selke. How does one know the pencils, crayons, books for children, aren't being sold on the black market? I suppose it relates to being able to substantiate a legitimate source.

I think this is a great idea, but because Labadee is an enclosed enclave, I'm not sure how you could get what you bring to the people who need it. I have been helping people bring supplies to an orphanage in Roatan, and always make sure that someone from the orphanage is aware that they are coming, and when.

Unless you know someone in Haiti who can get to Labadee to pick up your items, you might not find any takers in the mock village they have set up there. You could write or call to RC and see if they know of a clothing drive in Haiti, and see what they say. Unfortunately, my experience with customer service for questions like these is not inspiring. They have been very nice and polite, but totally uninformed, and unable to find out what you want to know.

It is absolutely inspiring to hear all of your honest and intelligent replies!

Thank you so so much!

I did not have all the foresight that so many of you have that so generously shared with me.

What AMAZES me most of all is how you were all so kind!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

If the people in Haiti can not immediately benefit from my concern by way of my original intention, then I will have to do better and find another way based on your suggestions.

Cheers, good health & good luck to all that took the time to respond!

Sincerely, Jonathan :)

Archived