Margaritaville

claytonfam

Do we need to choose a tour that says it ends in the Village in order to go to Margaritaville, or can we just walk there from the dock at the end of any of the tours? It is an important spot for our college-age sons. Also, does anyone know if they have an imposed drinking age there, or can 20 year old have a drink?

I don't know what the official drinking age is in Jamacia, but do remember quite a few drunk 18+ kids getting back on the ship after spending the day at Margarittaville during our spring break trip a couple of years ago so I am sure it won't be a problem for your 20yr old! One of the girls on our ship was lying on the sidewalk outside the bar and had to be helped back to the ship--good lesson to our kids not to be stupid in a foreign country! They were 17 and 18 at the time and still remember it. Cozumel is another port where the kids like to party and they don't ask for ID. The captain made sure to announce prior to our port call that they had left 24 passengers at the port the week before because they were at the bar and lost track of time!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the margaritaville in ocho rios lately?? How is the beach there? Looked it up online...looks like it has a waterslide?? Looking for something to do for the day while we are in jamaica that isn't too expensive....going to do the "excursion" probably in cayman. Will have 4 teenage kids along so looking for something fun! and i know they are gonna want to at least get some shirts there.....

We were there in November, and the beach looked good. Small, but private. There is a waterslide in the middle of the building. Looked pretty neat. Our children loved Margaritaville. They also have water trampolines. We never went down the slide because one of the employees told us about how many times drunk people throw up down the slide, and then they would have to clean in up. The slide looked fun though... ha ha... They have good nacho's and awesome strawberry margarita's!! I bought t shirts there too. I wanted to buy one that said Ocho rios on it, not Jamaica. Most of them all say Jamaica. You will have fun there!

• 2 weeks later...
Do we need to choose a tour that says it ends in the Village in order to go to Margaritaville, or can we just walk there from the dock at the end of any of the tours? It is an important spot for our college-age sons. Also, does anyone know if they have an imposed drinking age there, or can 20 year old have a drink?

I don't know if you are referring to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay for Margaritaville. We only went to the one in Montego Bay. It was about a 10-15 minute ride from where the ship docked.

Margaritaville in Montego Bay is lively. There were 13 in our party and that included 5 of our grandkids. We took a large van from the dock. We didn't want to go in separate taxis. The kids 16,12,9,7,4 all had a blast swimming. We sat outside and had lunch and a few drinks. Margaritaville in Mobay is the livliest one that we've been to.

If you are also heading to Grand Cayman and Cozumel be sure to stop at the Margaritaville's there.

i'll be going to jamaica in september as it's one of the ports of call for my cruise -- definitely want to check out margaritaville! :D

Which port in Jamaica???

Personally I would say that the Margaritaville in Mobay is the most entertaining.

As far as ports go, I prefer Ocho Rios over Mobay, although our next cruise in January will have a stop in Mobay but I'm still not sure if we'll get off the ship. Its kinda scary in that town. Ocho Rios isn't quite as bad. I'm sure I'll change my mind at least a hundred times before we sail.

Where are you leaving from???

Margaritaville was really nice, and the whole shopping area as a whole there was beautiful. I wish we would have had more time to explore it all. If I ever go to OR again, I don't know that I'd even leave that area.

Yes, there's a beach and slide and yes it looks like it could be a fun hangout. We stopped for a few drinks and tshirts (and mine does say Ocho Rios :)).

The food at all the Margaritaville restaurants is very good. The burgers are huge and it comes with a big order of fries. If you order nacho's...better plan on sharing...its a big platter piled high.....get the nacho's all the way. Don't just get cheese

• 1 month later...
How far is Margaritaville from the port in Ocho Rios? Can you get a cab to/from easily? I can't walk due to mobility issues.

It's a good walk from the ship. If you have trouble walking you might want to take a cab. Even then, the restaurant is located in the back of the village, and you wind through lots of shops and kiosks to get there. If you use a walker or scooter it may not be the best place to go. Although we didn't look for them, I am sure there are similar places that may be more accessible that aren't too much further from the ship.

Archived