Should I buy travel insurance?

CruiseFever

Do you buy travel insurance  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy travel insurance

• Yes
    • No

Don't participate in the expectation that you will change anyone's mind.

And ultimately, none of us have to participate in any discussion here, or to continue to do so once we've started.

The patent disrespect of some of the posters towards those with an opposing opinion is what raised my blood pressure.

I've been following this thread for awhile, and actually have decided to get the medical evacuation insurance (because of the helpful advice of one poster here who advised me I could get some coverage for a preexisting condition). I still think (as does Consumer Reports) that the cancellation insurance is a waste of my money (I know first-hand how little those policies actually cover.).

. . . and you're right - I could quit reading this thread, -- I want to quit reading this thread! -- but I've become like a smoker - I know it's bad for me, but I just can't quit!:D.

Happy cruising!

If I couldn't afford to lose the cost of the trip, I probably have no business going on it (and like I've said before, the incidences I would need coverage for won't be covered anyway).

I think most people who cruise could "afford" to lose their $3000 (or whatever) if it was matter of family's "life or death", but why tempt fate? The cost is trivial to us compared to the peace of mind. (Especially DW, the "worrier". :rolleyes: ) And I don't think Suze's standing in line to reimburse us should we need to cancel.

We've always done significant research into what was and wasn't covered by our insurance and have gotten the best of advice from our TA. It also probably helps that DW is in the insurance industry and can read all the "fine print" with a good degree of comprehension.

DW and I both have elderly parents who all have multiple elderly siblings, and -- G-d forbid -- anything could happen at any time, as of course it can with anyone of any age. If you don't find yourself in that position, or you could lose your cruise money without losing any sleep over it, then great for you.

I think most people who cruise could "afford" to lose their $3000 (or whatever) if it was matter of family's "life or death", but why tempt fate? The cost is trivial to us compared to the peace of mind. (Especially DW, the "worrier". :rolleyes: ) And I don't think Suze's standing in line to reimburse us should we need to cancel.

We've always done significant research into what was and wasn't covered by our insurance and have gotten the best of advice from our TA. It also probably helps that DW is in the insurance industry and can read all the "fine print" with a good degree of comprehension.

DW and I both have elderly parents who all have multiple elderly siblings, and -- G-d forbid -- anything could happen at any time, as of course it can with anyone of any age. If you don't find yourself in that position, or you could lose your cruise money without losing any sleep over it, then great for you.

The point is (if you'd bother to read my previous posts) that my family needed to use the cancellation insurance on two separate occasions when we had purchased it, and neither incidence was covered by the so-called insurance. If we hadn't gone on the sailings, we would have been out the money anyway. That is why I don't purchase (and the consumer analysts don't recommend) cancellation insurance. I'm really getting grumpy now -- I've repeated myself so many times. Is my English that bad that no one understands what I'm saying or what? If you're going reply to what I've written, please actually read what it says.

The cost is trivial to us compared to the peace of mind. (Especially DW, the "worrier". :rolleyes: )

And this is why you (or anyone else who feels as you do) should go right ahead and buy such insurance. To me (and some others) the cost is not trivial relative to the peace of mind it provides. I certainly don't think less of anyone who does buy cruise insurance--I just want people to recognize that it is, relative to the price of insurance products, costly. That fact (and it is a fact!) should be just one (and only one!) factor in making the decison to buy insurance. I guess each individual has to decide how much weight to give to each factor based upon their own experience, financial situation, and ability to manage/tolerate risk.

On the last cruise my husband and I were on BC (before children), we sat at a dinner table with a couple and their eight year old son. The son exhibited signs of chicken pox 3 days into the cruise and the family had to disembark and fly home from Cozumel (via Cancun). We found this out from our waiter!

We had never purchased travel insurance before. However, now that we have two kids of our own, we wouldn't consider traveling without travel insurance! You just never know what could happen! Our vacation to the Smoky Mountains was slightly derailed last summer when our then 5 year old daughter broke her arm tripping over a curb at a rest stop!

I have to put in my two cents on the insurance issues. My mom and her friend just got on the Star Princess this past Sunday, Feb. 7th, for a 2 week back to back cruise. The next day, yesterday Feb. 8th, my mom's friend fell and broke her hip. They are putting her off in San Juan tonight, because she needs surgery. My mom will be getting off the ship with her. Thankfully they both have travel insurance; however, I don't know what kind they have. This is why I have been teaching my kids that if they ever plan on travelling outside of the country, they should always take out travel insurance. You just never know.

really inappropriate and misses the mark completely---hope making that comment makes you feel better

Feel great - couldn't feel any better - but thanks for your good wishes. And I am envious of all you have, and that you can afford to lose because of the lack of cost-effectiveness of insurance (in you situation).

Inappropriate? In your eyes; not in mine. Misses the mark? Don't think so - you can afford to lose a vacation investment. You have more than the rest of us who cannot afford the luxury of that loss.

As for the rest of us, one minor catasrophe could wipe out everything without that $150-or-so insurance policy. (One year ago, I had to be admitted to the hospital as an emergency. Here, home, not on a cruise. Had to be in the hospital for a whole day and heart procedure was performed. The cost? $31,000. And if I would have had to have been airlifted someplace ...?)

So we will keep filling those insurance coffers, and hoping we don't have to use them.

Feel great - couldn't feel any better - but thanks for your good wishes. And I am envious of all you have, and that you can afford to lose because of the lack of cost-effectiveness of insurance (in you situation).

Inappropriate? In your eyes; not in mine. Misses the mark? Don't think so - you can afford to lose a vacation investment. You have more than the rest of us who cannot afford the luxury of that loss.

As for the rest of us, one minor catasrophe could wipe out everything without that $150-or-so insurance policy. (One year ago, I had to be admitted to the hospital as an emergency. Here, home, not on a cruise. Had to be in the hospital for a whole day and heart procedure was performed. The cost? $31,000. And if I would have had to have been airlifted someplace ...?)

So we will keep filling those insurance coffers, and hoping we don't have to use them.

If you were in the hospital here at home, your medical insurance would cover you. Frommers and other experts all will tell you that you don't need extra travel insurance for a domestic trip. Most homeowners policies cover lost baggage, medical policies cover domestic healthcare. Anything else you purchase is redundant and that means you're the one wasting your money.

Like I've said before, you can all sit and pretend you're covered for every little thing with your travel insurance, but you better look at your policies carefully. I found out the hard way that they cover very little.

This doesn't mean I don't care about losing my vacation money -- It means I don't care to lose my vacation money on top of money paid for a useless insurance policy.

You're all acting so high and mighty, but you're actually quite ill-informed.

Have a nice day, and glad you're feeling well.:)

Maybe the reason your blood pressure is high is because the poll favors buying the insurance (it is 80 to 20 right now). Hmmm could it be that you are the one that doesnt like it when someone has a opposing view on a subject.

Maybe the reason your blood pressure is high is because the poll favors buying the insurance (it is 80 to 20 right now). Hmmm could it be that you are the one that doesnt like it when someone has a opposing view on a subject.

No, it's definitely from irritating people like yourself that won't even bother to read or understand what I, or someone else, has written. Your only interest is in trying to come up with a "cute" response or throwing stones at others. If you had bothered to read my responses to this thread, I don't really have an opposing viewpoint to ALL travel insurance. I AM taking out evacuation/medical insurance for our cruise to MEXICO (it's completely unnecessary for a domestic trip). I PERSONALLY just think that the cancellation insurance is a waste of money. That has been MY experience in the past. Of course, if you had bothered to read what I'd written before, you would know that. Then again, it's hard to understand what someone else has written, when all you're doing is thinking about what you want to say next.

We only use travel insurance on perhaps 30% of our trips... Those that leave during the winter & may have travel delays & those that air goes through major airports with possible baggage problems...

We had a trip several years ago to Canada with flight through Chicago, then time in Vancouver, rail to the Rockies & bus after that.. Moving every day! Got to Vancouver, half the bags didn't get through Chicago! Me, no clothes, my wife, only some! We had to go shopping in Vancouver, picked up essentials..

On to Jasper, still no bags... Buy more clothes, it was cold! By the time we got our misplaced bags, we were 4 days into the trip!

When we got home, turned in the receipts to insurance company & received a check for entire amount! About $600!!

Travel insurance is a must if you will be moving on daily, like on a ship, or going through some of the "notorious" airports!

Dear Cruisin Friends:

I'm a chef Part time - Love it - but by Day - I'm an insurance Agent: Here's a few stories to shed some light on the issue:

I am a firm believer in buying Travel Insurance - I know someone who's family went to Mykonos Greece (spelling?) last summer, son went out partying, took a hit of Ecstacy - (bad stuff) - had to be airlifted back to the United States - with a private nurse and doctor on board. On a private lear jet - - - -

Needless to say - the father had to max out his American Express, Visa, and Master Cards on the Tarmack before the jet would take off - The family did not buy Travel Insurance. . . . Bills were in excess of $150,000.

American Airlines would not allow the patient on the plane due to his medical problems - no refund for their tickets either.

You never know what can happen -

2nd Story: 5 years ago Patient was in South America - was in the back of a Taxi - taxi crashed - patient in hospital for 3 weeks (COMA) - had to be air-lifted back to the United Sates - Miami - No Travel Insurance - bills were over $300,000. Patient expired - but the family still received the medical bills - - - bad news.

Personally - I don't ever want to be the Insurance Agent without the coverage - It's like being the shoe maker without the shoes.

Good luck everyone - happy cruisin

Cheryl - I'd appreciate your information on the Medical Evacuation (only) insurance.

I have been to Insure my Trip - and have some ideas but would appreciate your input.

The annual policies available for this type of insurance seem very reasonable and well worth it.......

I am questioning the expense of Princess insurance for each of our cruises (we have 5 booked for 2005). Everyone has to decide their own tolerance for risk - and own personal situation.

We have private catastrophe medical insurance - Medicare - (together w/ additional private policies) covers Domestic travel very well - We use FF miles for Air and Pre & Post hotels etc. (not refundable nor covered) -We have no worries about losing luggage - I do not pack anything I can't afford to lose - and we can absorb the loss of additional expense for delays etc. and also we can absorb the loss of the (usual) cruisefare. (It would be annoying but not catastrophis for us - and we would be willing to "gamble" on Trip Interruption and/or cancellation loses vs. the $$ cost of insurance each time we cruise ---

Good odds and a Good bet, I think...but that's only my opinion...and YES - I reallize - one misap and we lose - but that's the "throw of the dice" :D )

The very big expense of Medical Evacuation can be insured against by a reasonable ANNUAL policy -one fee covers all trips for the year.

Insurance restrictions due to location and and higher costs because of age are annoying - but you can't fight the actuary tables on this.....which is why we have been using the Princesss insurance. In our "younger" days - we found the private policies more comprehensive for $$ spent and we used them while elderly parents were still alive, and/or children were younger.

It's silly for anyone to get so worked up over another's thoughts about this subject.........each to his own....please no name calling because I believe for my situation it's prudent to "self-insure"........

I am "going bare" for the first time for our April cruise for a savings of $418 - which is about 10% of our $$ outlay if all $$ were to be recovered..............what are the chances of that happening???

(Think positively - please - I'm not interested in hearing everyone's horror stories....I'm not stupid and I realize there are plenty of stories out there!!!!)

And.. I yet may decide on one of the Medical w/ Evacuation Annual Policies on the "cheap" . Have to do a bit more investigating.

Cheryl - (or others) thanks for any help with this....

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Hi, Renee. After some helpful tips from someone here on this thread, I was told I could get medical/evacuation insurance only that would cover me while in Mexico (or anywhere abroad), and then my own insurance would pick up once we got back to the states.

My husband has had some problems with an irregular heart rhythm (It happens to him approximately once every couple of years and no one knows why -- He's only 43). My father (who is also travelling with us in March) has had a stroke and other heart problems in the past. This means that the two people most likely to need the insurance (because of their "preexisting conditions") wouldn't be covered by most travel insurance providers.

While the coverage isn't as good for the preexisting conditions as for other types of conditions, it still would provide enough to get either of them out of Mexico for medical care in California (where their own insurance would then take over). The one that looked the best to me (and I'm actually still investigating this) was Patriots international Insurance. I found this at a nice website, healthinsurancefinders.com/short_term_US.html. It allows you to compare three insurance providers side by side. Patriots had by far the best coverage at the lowest rate AND included coverage for preexisting conditions. For my family of four, the premium is only $62 (lots cheaper than the cruise-provided travel insurance that wouldn't do me much good). It includes $50,000 in medical/evacuation coverage with a $100 deductible. ($15000/$25000 for preexisting conditions). It even includes other coverages AD&D, small allowance for lost baggage, etc. Check out the website, and you can see exactly what it covers and even download brochures.

Like I said, I'm still investigating this, and my father is actually going to go speak with them directly (their office happens to be here in Indianapolis where we live). My parents are in their 70s, and coverage for the two of them would be around $162. I'll let you know what he finds out.

I hope this helps you some . . . We leave in March! We'll just be getting back when you're getting ready to leave! Happy cruising!

Per using cruise insurance, let me tell you of my recent experiences. Over a year ago, I booked a cruise for the last part of January 2005. I really looked forward to the cruise. January cruises always include my mother, who is now 82 years young, so I always buy cruise insurance for all of us.

On Christmas Eve, I was offered a new job situation with my employer which would require me to start work on the day I would have been cruising through the Panama Canal. Tough decision, but as expected I took the promotion and cancelled the cruise.

Princess credited some refund to my credit card. I had Princess Gold travel insurance due to my platinum status with Princess. I received a letter this week from the insurance carrier that most of the remainder of my expense will be credited to my Princess cruise account as a future cruise credit. I am really ok with this, as without the insurance I would have lost all.

I rescheduled my vacation to be earlier in January on a RCI cruise and again invited my mother for our traditional January cruise slightly rescheduled. I took out cruise insurance again but at the base level. Glad I did as Mom never even made it through lifeboat drill without a medical problem. Happy to say medical staff was fantastic, insurance helps when needed, and after a difficult start, the last few days of the trip were enjoyed by all.

Would I schedule a cruise now without insurance? No way. Sign my name to the list of passengers who will always take out travel insurance.

Archived