Greek Isles 07/08

We will be on the Splendour of the Seas on 24 July. Would like to know of anybody else going. Have not booked any excursions. Is it necessary to do it before the time or can we do it ourselves. Visiting Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu and Croatia.

We will be on the Splendour of the Seas on 24 July. Would like to know of anybody else going. Have not booked any excursions. Is it necessary to do it before the time or can we do it ourselves. Visiting Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu and Croatia.

We had the same itinerary last Nov.

We took ship's tours for Corfu and Katakolon (Olympia).

Athens, Mykonos and Split, we did on our own.

I think this arrangement was perfect for us.

If you go back several pages, I even posted pictures of Corfu, beautiful.

Jade08: I am on the Splendour this Nov. 1. The only port I am concerned about is Athens. I know you toured it on your own visiting all the sites I want to see. Where you in port from 12P - 8PM? If so, what was your itinerary to get all the sites in? Did you have to limited your time at some of the places? Maybe I am being neurotic about this! Help!

Jade08: I am on the Splendour this Nov. 1. The only port I am concerned about is Athens. I know you toured it on your own visiting all the sites I want to see. Where you in port from 12P - 8PM? If so, what was your itinerary to get all the sites in? Did you have to limited your time at some of the places? Maybe I am being neurotic about this! Help!

Hi goldiemom,

The ship docked at Piraeus from 7am to 7pm. We got off pretty early and caught a taxi to Piraeus Metro station (6€). Then purchased 3€ all day Metro pass.

(1) Green Line to Victoria stop, National Archaeological Museum, 2 hours.

(2) Walked to Omonia station to take Red Line to Akropoli stop, The Acropolis, 2 hours.

(3) Walked down the hill, Plaka, 2 hours. We ate Athens’ famous pita (flatbread and meat) at Plaka, 1.75€ each, delicious.

(4) Forget which line, which stop, anyway we had short ride from Plaka to Syntagma Metro station. At Tomb of the Unknown Warrior, we watched changing-of-the-guard ceremony. This ceremony holds hourly, not full scale though.

(5) From there, we headed back. Arrived Piraeus Metro station around 5pm. Crossed a busy street, we saw a lot of people were waiting for buses. One of the buses actually going to our ship dock (#843?), the 3€ Metro pass covered the ride. If you intend to use bus, ask the worker at ticketing window at bus stop. There is a bus goes along the harbor, when you see the ship (Splendour of the Seas), get off.

Hope you have a nice trip!

We rented cars in both places, went to the beach for a good part of the day in Corfu-gorgeous, and you can do a lot in a rental-we did not have reservations, just went and got a car off the ship-

Archived