Vesuvius - Is it worth it?

One of the options we are looking at is to go to the top of Mount Vesuvius. My question to those who have been there ..... is it worth the time and effort? Thanks to all for the wonderful information on this site.

One of the options we are looking at is to go to the top of Mount Vesuvius. My question to those who have been there ..... is it worth the time and effort? Thanks to all for the wonderful information on this site.

If you are into climbing volcanos. :eek: I enjoyed just looking up at it from Pompeii and realizing the ash and lava from the mountain buried Pompeii. Then started thinking, could it happen again? I believe it is listed as an inactive volcano.

The same as we approached Mt. Etna. It was shrouded in clouds, so we didn't get nearly as good a view of Etna as we did Vesuvius. And of course Etna is an active volcano erupting right now.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

I'm also interested, but we'll wait until that day to decide as we're planning to take the train to Herculaneum (which is the same stop as for Vesuvius). If its cloudy we will probably forego Vesuvius and just do Herculaneum.

I'm also interested, but we'll wait until that day to decide as we're planning to take the train to Herculaneum (which is the same stop as for Vesuvius). If its cloudy we will probably forego Vesuvius and just do Herculaneum.

Yes, I think its wise to watch the weather if you can. We climbed Vesuvius (well, the last few hundred metres or so anyway!) a few years back on a land-based holiday. If its a nice day (as it was that day) the views from the top are spectacular, right the way over the Plain & Bay of Naples. Wear sensible walking shoes - I had to do it in sandals because I had an insect bite and my foot swelled up so I couldn't get my walking boots on - and take advantage of the walking sticks available at the start of the walk. You are asked to leave a small donation when you return them (a couple of euros) but they are useful and help with the loose, ashy surface that you have to walk over. Certainly worth doing if you are there anyway IMO, especially if you haven't been up any other volcanoes.

Hope this helps - have fun:) .

Archived