Lodging at the Brooklyn Cruiseport

We're going to be on the Caribbean Princess on Oct. 26 to San Juan. We're experienced cruisers but have never cruised out of NY and, frankly, I'm not looking forward to it. I gather from other posts that it's best to fly into La Guardia and take a cab to the port (carrying a mapquest map in case the driver doesn't know it). However, IF we decide we want that extra day cushion - can anyone recommend a place to stay for one night that is easy to get to from the airport and then on to the port? So far the best rate I've found is $169 in Brooklyn. Thanks to any who can weigh in. Denise

Hiya - we're going on the same cruise - a bunch of us from the May 26 "Roll Call" are having a meet & greet on the 27th - hope we see yawl there.

We are staying at the Brooklyn Motor Lodge - no frills, crummy area, but renovated and about as close to the pier as you can get. But one is not allowed to walk into terminal area, thus we will use a cab (about $6 or $7, according to the concierge). Sunday rate is $120!

I think the Fairway Market is about 1/2 mile from the BML (if not, maybe another poster cand advise). I hope to stock up on soda and yogurt before we head to pier.

We had family and friends stay at Hotel Le Bleu on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn (cross street is 5th Street). It's a strange little hotel and you can sometimes get a really good rate. One block away on 5th Avenue is a row of great restaurants.

Also, sometimes you can get a great deal on the Embassy Suites in the financial district.

Both would be easy for cabs to find and easy to get to the pier.

Hope this helps.

We stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge when we took a cruise from Red Hook (Brooklyn terminal). We hired a car service from the airport but got a different one from the hotel that we liked so much better. The Marriott is very convenient to subway stations and shopping as well as a few good restaurants. The room was very comfortable and we were able to get a great rate.

We stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge when we took a cruise from Red Hook (Brooklyn terminal). We hired a car service from the airport but got a different one from the hotel that we liked so much better. The Marriott is very convenient to subway stations and shopping as well as a few good restaurants. The room was very comfortable and we were able to get a great rate.

Will be staying at the Marriott in October and wonder if you have the name of the car service that you used? Thanks.

There is a Marriott in Brooklyn that is about the best in the area. It is a short cab ride away.

NY is wonderful to sail from - seeing the Statue of Liberty when you said it quite memorable.

What side of the ship faces the Stautue when exiting the port?

We have a starboad (right side) cabin with balcony. Hope we can stay in out room as we pass. :confused:

What side of the ship faces the Stautue when exiting the port?

We have a starboad (right side) cabin with balcony. Hope we can stay in out room as we pass. :confused:

You're good -- it's starboard when the ship departs the pier, and port when she's coming home.

You're good -- it's starboard when the ship departs the pier, and port when she's coming home.

except the ship backs into the pier so the starboard side is closest both ways....

The Brooklyn Motor Lodge is as the person describes adequate for sleeping and the pier NG for anything else. Its a Mile from Fairway. Its actually closer to the Pathmark at Hamilton and 12th street. there are also a couple of small corner stores along Van Brunt....

I use in the area Arecibo 7187836465. It reliable and inexpensive(you can use them from the airport too and they know where the pier is). The directions from LGA to the Pier are exceedingly simple.....the Brooklyn Queens Expressway(BQE) to Atlantic Avenue exit make a left at the light at the end of the exit and then the first right follow that around to the pier(you can't really miss it)...you will see the ship....the entrance to the Cruise terminal is at Imlay and Bowne Street Brooklyn NY 11231(this is the info you need for mapquest). Its 11 miles from the airport to the cruise terminal. The Terminal itself is very nice- the nicest of the three NY area cruise terminals(the others being Manhattan and Bayonne)...

A cab should run in the $25.00 range. If you want to stay in Manhattan one night before any Hotel in the Wall street area( if you use priceline) will be fine.. It then a really short cab ride to the pier through the Brooklyn battery Tunnel(Hamilton Avenue exit and make two lefts-making sure not to get back into the tunnel) and follow the signs.The pier is behind the exit from the BBT to Brooklyn(two quick lefts equal a 180 turn)....

I don't understand why the original poster is not looking forward to the first visit to NYC...you afraid of the big bad city or Brooklyn inparticular?

I think the Fairway Market is about 1/2 mile from the BML (if not, maybe another poster cand advise). I hope to stock up on soda and yogurt before we head to pier.

Fairway is all the way at the end of Van Brunt Street. As another poster said, it may be closer to a mile. However, it is well worth heading over there - we shop there all the time.

Sorry to read that the OP is not looking forward to coming to NYC. I happen to think it is a great place.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Brooklyn. Our friends stayed at the Comfort Inn. We both use Hotwire for the Hotels as I wasn't getting lucky with Priceline and I knew the Holiday Inn was pretty new and wanted to stay near the Terminal and Park Slope. I really loved the area. We would take a short walk up the street to Park Slope and found some great restaurants. The Mexican restaurant near the hotel was excellent. The subway is a stones throw from the Hotel. Our room was very nice. Our friends room at the Comfort Inn was nice but very small. Either place would be okay but the location of the Holiday Inn is better for walking to all the Park Slope restaurants and shops as well as getting on the subway. I think we each paid a little less than $100 dollars for our rooms but I can't recall the exact amount. I used Better Bidding to ID the hotels on Hotwire.

I was also apprehensive about NYC but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back. Go a few days early. You will be glad you did.

I was also apprehensive about NYC but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back. Go a few days early. You will be glad you did.

What is there to be apprehensive about? NYC is a wonderful city and people are very friendly. People will help you ut if you need directions somewhere, there are tons of things going on and plenty of places to see and if it very safe.

What is there to be worried about?

As a former CT yankee - I can tell you NYC is a grand place to visit. Made a trip back up after 9/11 (we now live in Alabubba) and, if anything, folks were even nicer. Stop in at any little hole-in-the-wall Jewish deli and u will be delighted. I think I miss that most of all.

Wherever you're going, just have fun and ... we all smile in the same language.

What is there to be apprehensive about? NYC is a wonderful city and people are very friendly. People will help you ut if you need directions somewhere, there are tons of things going on and plenty of places to see and if it very safe.

What is there to be worried about?

I shouldn't really say we were apprehensive....I was. My husband just relies on me to figure everything out so he wasn't apprehensive at all. I worried that I would not be able to figure out the public transportation system and that we would end up somewhere we shouldn't. It's probably a pretty common feeling for first-timers from small rural places.

I will go back...preferably sooner than later. There is no food like we had in NYC around my part of the country. We rarely eat out it is so bad here. We walked into a little hole in the wall pizza by the slice place and had the best pizza I have ever had. It's not even in the same food group as what we get here. I'd go back just for a slice of that pizza. In some of the little pubs in Park Slope we were able to spend a good amount of time with the locals and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.

There is a lot of touristy stuff we did not get to do so we have to go back a few more times. My nephew will be attending grad school at Cornell beginning in August so that will get us back into the general vicinity several times over the next few years.

I shouldn't really say we were apprehensive....I was. My husband just relies on me to figure everything out so he wasn't apprehensive at all. I worried that I would not be able to figure out the public transportation system and that we would end up somewhere we shouldn't. It's probably a pretty common feeling for first-timers from small rural places.

There is a lot of touristy stuff we did not get to do so we have to go back a few more times. My nephew will be attending grad school at Cornell beginning in August so that will get us back into the general vicinity several times over the next few years.

The subways are pretty easy once you get used to them. You can ask for a subway map at any of the manned booths. And a New Yorker will always help if you aren't sure of where you are going. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

If you ever come this way again, contact me - I'd be happy to meet you in the city and take you around!

There is a Marriott in Brooklyn that is about the best in the area. It is a short cab ride away.

NY is wonderful to sail from - seeing the Statue of Liberty when you said it quite memorable.

I live on LI, but have stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge if that is where you are referring to. It is a wonderful hotel situated just over the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side (cross the bridge and you are in Manhattan). DOn't know what the rate is, but a nice place to stay. Lots of shops, resturaunts in walking distance. Public transportation nearby too. Short train ride (subway) into Manhattan Times Square.

If you look on the Marriott website, it is pricey. But if you use AAA, or priceline or hot line you may be able to bid it down.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Brooklyn. Our friends stayed at the Comfort Inn. We both use Hotwire for the Hotels as I wasn't getting lucky with Priceline and I knew the Holiday Inn was pretty new and wanted to stay near the Terminal and Park Slope. I really loved the area. We would take a short walk up the street to Park Slope and found some great restaurants. The Mexican restaurant near the hotel was excellent. The subway is a stones throw from the Hotel. Our room was very nice. Our friends room at the Comfort Inn was nice but very small. Either place would be okay but the location of the Holiday Inn is better for walking to all the Park Slope restaurants and shops as well as getting on the subway. I think we each paid a little less than $100 dollars for our rooms but I can't recall the exact amount. I used Better Bidding to ID the hotels on Hotwire.

Thanks for posting this you are among the first I have seen that have stayed in these. Yes they are close to the subway but in an industrial area that is deserted at night. I live fairly close by but this is considered the other side of the tracks(the area between 3rd and fourth avenue was Brooklyn version of 10th avenue in Manhattan). Park Slope and Smith Street have good reasonable restaurants(and some not so reasonable)...which Mexican rest is this? But I would still think these hotels are better for getting around than the Brooklyn Motor Inn....

Our hotel room was really nice. It had this glowing glass between the bathroom and the bedroom. I can't remember the name of the Mexican Restaurant. It was just a short walk to Park Slope. We turned left out of the hotel. At the corner we continued straight across a fairly large street. There was some kind of Deli on the corner and a little further was the mexican restaurant. It was really good....not your typical taco's and burrito's.

Thank you all for your comments. So far the Comfort Inn has come up with the best price. I really think if we're going to have a one-night cushion before the cruise it's probably a good idea to make it two and have a full day of touristy stuff. We really can't afford to miss this cruise (who can?) because we're specifically taking it for the onboard genealogy seminars. We got caught up in the American MD-80 fiasco just as we were leaving for our April cruise. Thankfully, they rescheduled us and we arrive in FLL on time.

We still have plenty of time to make hotel arrangements............Denise

Archived