Legend Review - May 11, 2008

Shore Man

Hi y’all,

I just wanted to give a quick review of my recent cruise off the Legend the week of May 11.

Reader’s Digest Version:

It was great.

Long Version:

It was great. This was only my second cruise ever. The first one was back in 1999 on the RCL Voyager of the Seas, which was the biggest cruise ship on the water at that time.

For those that are concerned that this ship is small, forgetaboutit. It’s huge. Sure, it’s smaller than the big ships, but then again, it’s larger than the small ones. ;) There are bars all over the place. Want a cozy spot for two? There’s plenty of those. Want a spot to people watch, there’s plenty of those too. Actually, there’s plenty of everything. We had a balcony room on 7 (Verandah) and were concerned whether we would be able to store all our things (the wife tends to over pack). No problem - believe it or not, the bathroom had enough shelves to hold all our bathroom needs. And believe me, we have a lot of bathroom needs. :p There were even cabinets / shelves in the room that we didn’t even use.

Noise in the room? Nutin. The only noise we heard were our upstairs neighbors dragging their chairs on the balcony. We even had to open the door to hear the announcements, since they don’t pipe those into the room, unfortunately.

Regarding the dining, while the menu selection wasn’t huge, I was always able to find something to order and not only that, everything I ordered was very good. And if it wasn’t, I would’ve ordered something else. On Formal Night #1, I warned Vernon, our waiter, that I might want a second lobster. No problem. When I was done, he asked if I wanted a third. Which I did - but I was stuffed. Couldn’t do it. Regretting it now, however. Filip was our drink guy - weird dude. No personality, looked scared stiff, seemed to look right through you, if you told me he was a robot, I wouldn’t be surprised. But, he was always there when we needed him.

The Supper Club was awesome. The best $60 you’ll ever spend. Here’s a warning, though. The portions are deceiving. They appear small, but they pack a wallop. After the first small, maybe even tiny, course, I’m like, “pass the bread honey, we’re going to have to hit the buffet after this”. Then after the second course, I’m like, “hmmm, ok, no more bread, I want to have room for the lobster”. Then came the surf and turf - Filet Mignon and Lobster tail. Nice portion, but it also came with a pumpkin dumpling and asparagus in puff pastry. Really yummy. Here comes the desert menu. Uh oh, I’m full. No worries, I’ll get the chocolate torte - I should be able to down that with no problem. "Wholly crap, look at the size of that thing!" It must've been the biggest plate on the ship. It was long and thin and had 5 separate bowls each filled with something different. I don’t remember the details, but there was Tiramisu, Ice Cream, Cake, More Ice Cream, damn, I couldn’t finish it. Why couldn't they serve that first?? I could really go for that thing now, though. Darn. Oh, last thing. There was entertainment - two people, a singer and a piano player. After two songs, they had to take a break. A break? Other than those two songs, their whole time on the boat was a break. Eh, no problem, we didn’t care for their song selection anyway.

Oh and something really amazing happened at 3:15 Wednesday afternoon. I felt a hunger pain. Where did that come from? No worries, got a HUGE hot dog and some ice cream. Didn’t want to over due it as dinner was only a few short hours away.

I read someone complaining about the hot chocolate - I thought it was great, like the best hot chocolate I’ve had.

The entertainment was great too. Was it Broadway caliber? No. Was it entertaining? Did I enjoy being there? Was it worth the price of admission? You bet. Besides, the hour or so that we spent there meant less time for the wife to pump money into those one way slot machines.

Speaking of Bingo, the wife won $150 on the first night. Woo hoo. I don’t know how she did it, but she had managed to spend it even before she sat back down. Still scratching my head over that one. :confused:

The pools appear small, but were fine. There was no time that they were even half full. On sea days, the chairs near the pools were taken quickly, but we were always able to find two together elsewhere. There was no way we were getting up early to “claim” our chairs. We slept late, ate late, then moseyed on down to the pools.

Man, this is long. Let me sum this up. This was one heck of a vacation. Everything was awesome. We were fed, entertained and pampered to no end. Complaints - NONE - well, maybe too many bikini clad girls prancing around. (ok, the wife just left - ignore that last line).

If you’re thinking about going on the Legend, do it. You won’t regret it.

I’m out.

Man, this is long. Let me sum this up. This was one heck of a vacation. Everything was awesome. We were fed, entertained and pampered to no end. Complaints - NONE - well, maybe too many bikini clad girls prancing around. (ok, the wife just left - ignore that last line).

If you’re thinking about going on the Legend, do it. You won’t regret it.

I’m out.

Loved your review and humor! Thanks!!

Great review!

I agree with the part about not hearing the announcements with your door closed, they need to fix that. they know how to mute your Tv when there is an announcement, so just pump the volume through the TV with the announcement too!

I didn't try the specialty dining, but will next time after all the good things I have heard about it! have to remember to pace myself.....

The Reader's Digest version was a nice touch!

That was me complaining about the hot chocolate.....on the first night. Very watery. After that is was fine!

And yeah....what's up with muting the TV but still can't hear the announcements in the cabin? Not that I want to hear every announcement. A good solution would be to leave the TV alone and no announcements in the cabin unless we're sinking!!!

Sounds like you had the same dinner I had at the supper club.....surf and turf, the chocolate dessert.......wish I could go to the supper club tonight!!

Nice review.....must have missed you on the roll call?!

Sorry we missed meeting you with our Roll Call group.

We also had a great time.

I was in karaoke the WHOLE TIME and Rozwin (karaoke host) was nothing short of FABULOUS!!!!!!

We got to meet some wonderful Ex POWs that were sailing together from Florida. I had the great honor to sing God Bless the USA to one of them in karaoke and they invited our family to their afternoon session. We got to visit with them for about an hour. It was AWESOME!!! I will never forget Mr. and Mrs. Harris, "Chushy" and these other great brave men who served our country so well!!!

I was Cher in the Legends Show and my son was Ricky Martin...we had a BLAST!!!!

Glad you had a good time!!! LOVED your review!!

That was me complaining about the hot chocolate.....on the first night. Very watery. After that is was fine!

Oops - Sorry about that bud. No offense intended.

Nice review.....must have missed you on the roll call?!

Nope - I've been reading for months, but haven't posted or otherwise identified myself. You know, just in case you were all a bunch of loonies ;).

Nope - I've been reading for months, but haven't posted or otherwise identified myself. You know, just in case you were all a bunch of loonies ;).

Wise move. We were a WILD BUNCH. Susan and Ronnie on their Scooters alone could have caused major chaos!!! :D

No offense taken!!!

Yes....they were a bunch of loonies....not me, of course. LOL!

I loved your review! Thank you so much! What did you think about the islands? Did you do any excursions?

No. We did the excursion thing on our one previous cruise and while it was fun and all, we sorta just wanted to lounge around and relax - you know, set our own pace. We didn't want to get up early, rush down so we could be the first ones on the tenders, worry about getting back to the boat on time, etc..

We did get off the boat, but our exposure to the islands was limited to where ever we could walk to.

Cayman was hot, quaint and expensive.

Cozumel was hot, quaint and inexpensive. We bought most of our souvenirs from there. Tequila (of course), rum, some inexpensive hand made stuff for some people at work that I don't really care for, some inexpensive wooden carvings for some relatives that I don't really care for, and a couple of watches for the wife and I. When I got home I checked the prices on the internet and fortunately, we did save a few dollars. Boy would I have been mad if we overpaid. And man, can someone teach me how to haggle? Please? My haggling went like this (note: Item was marked $7.00):

Me: I'll give you $10 for the 2 of these.

Them: NO

Me: How about $12 for the 2 of these.

Them: Sorry, can't do it - $14 for the 2.

Me: Pay the man, honey.

Belize was nice, if you like hot and sticky. Real small dock. While we were initially impressed when we heard there was a boardwalk over there - don't be. There's more wood in my toothpick dispenser. Oh, and don't leave the fenced in area. That was the advice I received from my friend who's from Belize. "Stick with the tours, don't make eye contact and you'll be fine." Oh, and if you're a fan of air conditioning, stay on the boat. It was actually cooler outside than it was inside those stores.

Roatan was, uh, well let's just say after walking the streets of Roatan, we missed Belize. We wanted to walk to Yabba Yabba Ding Ding. Had no idea what it was, but we wanted to say "we bought this at Yabba Yabba Ding Ding." After walking for about 15 minutes, the wife said she was scared and wanted to head back. Or maybe it was me who said I was scared and wanted to head back. Oh, it doesn't really matter. One of us wanted to head back, so we missed the chance to buy something at Yabba Yabba Ding Ding. Maybe next time.

Wise move. We were a WILD BUNCH. Susan and Ronnie on their Scooters alone could have caused major chaos!!! :D

HA HA HA!!! :D

It actually worked out really well shoreman. We all got to the meet & greet and realized we were all a bunch of stark raving lunatics. Ryan actually tried to mangle everyone in the group with a cork from a champagne bottle.:p

HA HA HA!!! :D

It actually worked out really well shoreman. We all got to the meet & greet and realized we were all a bunch of stark raving lunatics. Ryan actually tried to mangle everyone in the group with a cork from a champagne bottle.:p

She's not kidding....I thought that Wild Man had punctured a hole in the awning overhead.

Next time tell Ryan to back away from the Champagne bottle.....:eek:

I think he was more shocked than anyone!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Fun review!..you did a great job of it! We're looking forward to getting back on the Legend. Almost everyone on CC thinks the Miracle is the best but I actually preferred the Legend.

oh you guys look great!! thanks for sharing :)

I am sooooo jealous that you are just a few days away from paradise!!!!!!

I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell Brad (one of the Assistant Cruise Directors) that CHER said hi!!!

Have a wonderful cruise....

Archived