Granduer of The seas

Hello all. My family is looking to cruise on Granduer of The seas out of Baltimore going to eastern carribean. Has anyone done this trip from baltimore and how was it? Thanks

My wife and I did it in 2006 and loved it. We live in Maryland and had a relative drop us off and pick us up. I love to fly but not airports so just going right downtown to leave was wonderful. We are doing her again in 2009 and can't wait. The entire crew , from the people who took our luggage when we arrived thru the cabin stewards and all in between treated us as guests should be treated.

We don't cruise like most here, we go every other year at best and do OC the other year but reading here apparently novice cruisers like us as well as seasoned cruisers seem to LOVE this ship. The newer Baltimore terminal is a lot better then the old one, more space, more counter check in spaces which make for lesser crowds during check in. In 2006 we arrived between 11:30 and noon, walked right up to a counter and were sent right on board, no wait, no lines.:rolleyes:

Thanks DG. I like to fly also. We live just inside Pennsylvania. (Grew up in towson) So the short drive would be great. Was it a pretty smooth ride once you got into open water? I heard some people don't like leaving from Baltimore because it takes awhile to get down the bay.

Mike,

I'm sure you and your family will LOVE Grandeur OTS!! As you will see in my signature, we 'started' on Grandeur and it and Radiance are our favorites. We started the 'Mardi Gras' fun on the repo of Grandeur from BWI to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. It was great fun and we tossed over 360 pounds of beads to the other guests!!

Of course, the staff changes, the ports change, the routes change - but Grandeur remains a lovely and special ship!! Enjoy your cruise!! Be sure to register for the M&M for your cruise - it is always a most interesting event.

Oh, and if you like a FUN cruise, consider joining us on Voyager out of Galveston next February.

Hi Mike,

By Gods Grace my wife and I have never been on a cruise where the seas were any more the moderate so everything has always been smooth. As far as cruising down the Bay, for us we on a cruise ship and never really noticed. We liked the little time we spent sight seeing going down the Bay but we eat at the early seating, matches our dinner time here at home, so once we went in to dress and then eat dinner we never 'saw' thw bay again. After dinner it was really to dark to see the shore, except some lights on, and when we woke up if it waas the bay we couldn't tell. The 1st time we went under the bridge was great, it really gives an optical illustration that it's going to scrape with the ship and we still love going to the highest deck when we go under the bridge.

No matter what cruise you chose, just relax, take everything in stride and just enjoy it all, You're On Vacation. It really seems to be how you handle things that happen that makes a difference instead of basing your attitude on how others handle things that happen to you.

mike, the crew onboard grandeur will do anything possible to make your cruise the best vacation you ever have

while not offering the amenities of the larger ships, i.e ice rink, mini golf, speciality restaurants...the ship is kept spotless. If you are fortunate to sail with Captain Rob...he is simply the best

Food and entertainment is good

living close to the port is a great reason for sailing her, 30 min drive for me and im on vacation woo hoo

Cruised the first time on the Grandeur in Oct 2007 for the 9 day eastern out of Baltimore. The trip south kept posting 'Moderate' seas - 4-6 feet. Did not feel rough at all. Funny though, we were docked in St. Thomas and the ship's TV station was reporting 'Moderate' seas. Loved the Grandeur so much we booked a 5 day cruise out of Tampa this past Jan and will cruise on her again this Nov for a 19 day out of Tampa again. Our Oct cruise last year gave us the best room steward we've ever had, George. The Jan cruise gave us our best wait person named Ana. Unfortuately, Ana was scheduled to receive a transfer to the Adventure, so we won't have a chance to see her again this Nov..

Cruised the first time on the Grandeur in Oct 2007 for the 9 day eastern out of Baltimore. The trip south kept posting 'Moderate' seas - 4-6 feet. Did not feel rough at all. Funny though, we were docked in St. Thomas and the ship's TV station was reporting 'Moderate' seas. Loved the Grandeur so much we booked a 5 day cruise out of Tampa this past Jan and will cruise on her again this Nov for a 19 day out of Tampa again. Our Oct cruise last year gave us the best room steward we've ever had, George. The Jan cruise gave us our best wait person named Ana. Unfortuately, Ana was scheduled to receive a transfer to the Adventure, so we won't have a chance to see her again this Nov.

Don't miss the fries in the Solarium.

Cruised the first time on the Grandeur in Oct 2007 for the 9 day eastern out of Baltimore. The trip south kept posting 'Moderate' seas - 4-6 feet. Did not feel rough at all. Funny though, we were docked in St. Thomas and the ship's TV station was reporting 'Moderate' seas. Loved the Grandeur so much we booked a 5 day cruise out of Tampa this past Jan and will cruise on her again this Nov for a 10 day out of Tampa again. Our Oct cruise last year gave us the best room steward we've ever had, George. The Jan cruise gave us our best wait person named Ana. Unfortuately, Ana was scheduled to receive a transfer to the Adventure, so we won't have a chance to see her again this Nov.

Don't miss the fries in the Solarium.

Just got off this cruise today. Loved it. We were fortunate to do it last year as well. We'd do it again if we could. We don't notice any rough water going down the bay, or any time during the cruise. We find it interesting going under the Key bridge about 4:45 and the Bay Bridge about 6. Get out of the bay about 1 am.

Ports in the summer are hot but what you would expect in the Caribbean. Crew are wonderful and the ship is kept clean. As mentioned it doesn't have the ammenities of a larger ship like a flow rider or specialty restaurant. We're the type that don't miss those items.

Archived