Fly to Ft. Lauderdale-cruise from Miami?

dancerrich

Anyone done this? The GOOD airlines that serve Omaha fly to Ft L and not Miami. Transport to cruise terminal? Just wondering, as I would much rather fly Midwest or Frontier than the other options.

Thanks,

Kevin

Anyone done this? The GOOD airlines that serve Omaha fly to Ft L and not Miami. Transport to cruise terminal? Just wondering, as I would much rather fly Midwest or Frontier than the other options.

Thanks,

Kevin

ft Lauderdale is about a 30 min drive depending on traffic and who's driving;) ...the shuttle bus through carnival is 48 pp roundtrip...a taxi might be cheaper!! but i never took a cab from ft lauderdale to miami port

I've flown to FLL and sailed from POM more than once.....not a problem!

I've rented a car, took a taxi and used a shuttle service (not Carnival).

BTW....I don't think Midwest is flying to FLL anymore. That's my preferred airline, too.

We booked Carnival air on our very 1st cruise, and they had us flying to Miami for the cruise, and on return, leaving Miami with the transfer to Lauderdale to fly home out of Lauderdale. Wasn't that bad of a ride, and I've read where lots of people would rather fly in to Lauderdale and grab a cab/shuttle to Miami because people seem to like the Lauderdale airport better than the Miami airport.

I would take a shuttle from the airport and stay overnight in Miami. There, you can go to Bayside the night before the cruise. There's lots to do, lots to see and lots to eat. It's the perfect place to get into the cruise mood the night before. They do sightseeing tours on boats and all kinds of different things. It's great, all kinds of shops, like a huge outdoor mall with a twist, we loved it and will go back again someday.....

We are doing this for our trip in November. Flights into Miami were starting at $550 pp, and I found a flight for $330 pp into FLL. That pays for the transfers, plus a little extra for the ship! We are flying in the day of our cruise (I know, but we both have to work the day before, and I don't get out until 2000 hrs.). We land at FLL at 1030 hrs. so should have plenty of time. We are still debating between Carnival's transfers at $30 pp each way and a car service at $65 each way. I like the idea of the bus, since we will meet other cruisers, but may not feel like waiting for the bus to fill. Any input from you guys?

BTW - if you check out the "North American Homeports | East Coast Departures | Florida Departures" part of these boards, you'll get a lot more info on this subject.

That being said, we're doing the same thing in September -- Flying into FLL, staying the night before, then taking a (non-Carnival) shuttle to the POM. Look around the aforementioned heading, and you'll see a lot of options on how to get there. There is the GO shuttle ($18/head if you don't mind the van, though it also stops at hotels in Miami along the way), Carnival's folks, take a taxi, rent a limo, even rent a car and return it in Miami.

we flew into Fll the night before and I had a shuttle booked to get us to Miami (wife had company discount at the Wyndham). Took a cab over to the port in the am and booked the Miami deco tour with Fll airport transfer at the pursers desk.

The tour was a disaster (another LONG story).......but the overall process/theory worked quite well.

So far it is sounding like the thing to do!! So, to complicate it all, arriving Sat for a Sun cruise.... stay in Miami or Ft L??? Hmmmmmm?:D

Kevin

We're doing it for the second time in July. Not sure if there is a family involved but, rather than stay in Miami (yes there is lots of "activity"), we have and will again stay in FLL. We stay at the Pelican Beach Resort - right on the beach, covered porch, rockers, lazy river, pool side and beach side dining, big rooms for whole family. Then we take a car service door to door for the cruise.

Room cost is a little less than Miami rates and for a nicer room and nice facility too.

I am flying into FLL instead of Miami because I will am saving over $200.00 per ticket ( my grandaughter and myself) I am flying in the day before and staying in Miami, I have decided to use GO shuttle which from what I have read on these boards is only $18.00 pp.

I do this almost everytime I cruise. From Philly, the fares to Miami are always much, much higher than those to Ft. Lauderdale.

I always go down the day before, rent a car, drive to a Miami hotel and turn the car in upon arrival. I find that a rental car is much cheaper than a taxi or the shuttle. I order the very cheapest car offered..and do the shopping online to find it. Smallest car available. I've never paid more than 25-30.00.

For the return, I usually just buy a one-way transfer on the ship....runs about $10.00-12.00 or so.....

If you decide to rent a car, consider a hotel in Miami near where the car company would have a drop-off...saves money on taxi return to the hotel.....

We just returned from our Cruise out of Miami and we flew to Miami. The next time we will fly through Ft. Lauderdale. Their airport is much much easier to get around and the costs of the flights seem to be less. Transfers through Carnival are $48 round trip, but worth it for the difference in ticket prices. We have used the Miami airport twice now and it finally did it for me. No more Miami airport if possible!! Our transfer driver let us off at the bus terminal and we had to walk a mile (well, it seemed like a mile!!) to get to the Northwest counter to check our luggage. Also, maybe its just me, but the seats in Miami are not comfortable like Detroit or Ft. Lauderdale. They need a serious update! Oh well, just my 2cents worth.

There is the GO shuttle ($18/head if you don't mind the van, though it also stops at hotels in Miami along the way), Carnival's folks, take a taxi, rent a limo, even rent a car and return it in Miami.

Is that GO shuttle for Carnival? Why is it better to get outside transportation to the ship? We are going out of Miami on November 23rd and we are trying to figure out the best method to get from our hotel (we are staying the night before) to the ship. Oh, and we have about 40 people in our group. Any advice will help!!

We just did this.

Flew into FLL the day of embarkation out of Port of Miami. It was a total breeze. Our flight landed around 11 AM, we hopped on a GO Shuttle for $18 pp, and we were on the ship by 12:30 PM.

After debark and the LOOOOONG line for customs, we paid $24 pp for the Carnival greyhound bus back to FLL. It was very very easy.

We've Always flew into FLL the day Before,(stayed in FLL Hotel that offered breakfast) Rented a car, drove to MIA, at check-out time, dropped luggage & family off @ ship, returned car in MIA & used Free car rental shuttle to get back to ship.

BTW...We usually fly back home the day After the cruise.

After cruise...Family & all luggage get on the car rental shuttle, rent car, drv to FLL , do some sight-seeing, shopping, etc...stay in hotel w/breakfast, get up & head to airport.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin - I think it's a great idea. WE sailed out of Miami several times and always flew into FT. Lauderdale. The air was so much cheaper. We did take the CCL shuttle service to Miami. The reason we didn't pursue taxi service was because we had a group and it was much easier to just gather everyone up and jump on the bus.

Debarking and getting on the bus to go back was a little delayed in the beginning but then a large flow of buses arrived to save the day.

I would definately recommend it.

So far it is sounding like the thing to do!! So, to complicate it all, arriving Sat for a Sun cruise.... stay in Miami or Ft L??? Hmmmmmm?:D

Kevin

Hi Kevin!!!

Just noticed in this post you said arriving Sat for a Sunday cruise. We are cruising on Saturday:D Unless I missread your post.

We are staying in Miami, hopefully close to the mall

I don't want you to miss the ship.

Kim

Hi Kevin!!!

Just noticed in this post you said arriving Sat for a Sunday cruise. We are cruising on Saturday:D Unless I missread your post.

We are staying in Miami, hopefully close to the mall

I don't want you to miss the ship.

Kim

You are SO right! I think I might have known that............. But than again...... Thanks Kim for setting me straight!:eek:

Kevin

We've Always flew into FLL the day Before,(stayed in FLL Hotel that offered breakfast) Rented a car, drove to MIA, at check-out time, dropped luggage & family off @ ship, returned car in MIA & used Free car rental shuttle to get back to ship.

BTW...We usually fly back home the day After the cruise.

After cruise...Family & all luggage get on the car rental shuttle, rent car, drv to FLL , do some sight-seeing, shopping, etc...stay in hotel w/breakfast, get up & head to airport.

That's what I'm planning on doing. What rental car company did you use and how long from the time you dropped it off at Miami Airport did it take to get to the cruise port?

I'm originally from Miami and fly down from NY several times a year to visit family. I HATE MIA, it is an awful airport. FTL is an awesome, newer, much more efficient and layed out facility.

I like to fly in the day before, we have been victims of bad weather many times and prefer not to take a chance on missing the ship.

With that being said, in your case, and cost being an issue, I would probably fly into FTL the day before, use the Go Shuttle to my hotel close to the port or one that offers a POM shuttle for free or low cost. Either that or rent the car, you need to crunch the numbers to see what is least expensive, renting a car or staying in a hotel that offers the transportation to the POM.

Depending on the size of your party, you may not be able to get all your luggage into a taxi. In the shuttles, there is plenty of room. And to the posters who asked why not use the Carnival shuttles instead of seeing outside transportation, the Carnival transfers are a lot more $$ and you have to sit around, sometimes for hours, for other passengers to arrive and fill the bus to capacity. Not fun.

Archived