Baltimore to DC????

mommyx2

Actually the Newseum has been around but in a different location. The Newseum and the Spy Museum as well as the Wax Museum cost big bucks to go in. The museums(any that are run by the National Park) on the Mall are free and there is plenty to see. The National Zoo is in a different location not near the Mall by you can get to it from the Metro. You can also visit Arlington Cemetary which is across the river from the Mall and accessable from the Metro. What cruise are you going on? I am going on a cruise out of Baltimore June 19th, 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

One museum that I really enjoy that doesn't take all day is the National Postal Museum. It's cute for all ages and talks about the history of our postal system. They have quite a stamp collection also. Unless you're REALLY into stamp collecting, it shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours, and most likely not even that long. I don't recall if it was you that mentioned being a homeschooling mom, but if so, this would make a short but interesting history lesson beyond the pony express (which I romanticized WAY too much while watching The Young Riders)

BTW, I lived for about 9 months between Baltimore and DC and spent much of my time in DC as opposed to Baltimore simply because it seemed easier to navigate and because many of the activities were free. Since you're not going for 10 months, I definitely would get AAA books or a tour guide at the local bookstore. The internet is great, but sometimes picking up a book is quicker and easier to do when planning a trip.

We were just in DC in Feb. '08 and stayed at the Best Western Pentagon in Arlington. Free shuttle to the metro and wasn't too much of a pain. We'll stay there again when we go back.

• 3 weeks later...

Traveling between Bal/BWI on M-F you can utilize the Marc commuter rail system both from Camden station (limited non rush hour svc.) as well as hourly non rush hour svc. from Balt. Penn station also serving BWI station.

Can you give me more information on using the public transportation between Baltimore and DC? We are staying in the Inner harbor area but will go to DC a couple of days. Is the Marc a better option than Amtrak? Do we need to make a lot of changes? I did look at their site but got lost. maygbe I need to spend more time on it! We'll have a small amount of luggage on one trip only.

You can spend a week in DC and not see everything. The Smithsonian could take that time if you see it all. You need to decide how many days you can stay and then pick out the attractions and the parts of the Smithsonian you have time for. You asked how may miles away.....from what? Baltimore? not far at all.

thanks, if you were coming on vacation to inner harbor where with 2 kiddos, where would you stay? i like the idea of walking with all those people to the game if there is one.. what about getting to anf around DC, do you think we can get a shuttle from BWI to DC hotel and then back to inner harbor without getting a car rental??? thanks for all the help

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn Russell St. Baltimore. They have a free shuttle to the Ball Parks and the Inner Harbor. and will pick you up. Water Taxi also great way to see the harbor. (Sometimes after 5pm you can get a discount to the Aquarium.) Very nice room free breakfast and pool. So you will not need a car there. Once you have transport to DC I wouldn't get a car, you will get so lost... Use metro, you can buy a pass to ride all day. Remember DC like New York shuts down on weekends not many restaurants to dine at and shortage of restrooms. The food in the museums has improved. Metro even drops you right infront the New Nationals Stadium. Sunday tickets at this park are $14 for seat, hotdog, chips, and soda. I would skip Camden yards and head to the Nationals stadium very kid friendly, batting cages, area to play playstation, and xbox for free. The Zoo in DC is also free with the Panda bears. Hotels to stay away from are on New York Ave. Good Luck. Don't forget about Annapolis. I grew up there very nice stop on the way to DC..

Archived