After Security Duty Free in Barcelona?

I read a post on the "Ports of Call" Board regarding the existence of a Duty Free shop in Barcelona located after check-in and before boarding where they purchased liquor and carried it onto the ship. I would appreciate it if someone could confirm/deny the existence of such a place.

:D

Yes...It's true...after security there is duty free shopping in the Barcelona Airport...all you need is your passport and airplane ticket...we just returned from a Celebrity Summit cruise April 28 through May 11 from Southampton to Barcelona....

Yes...It's true...after security there is duty free shopping in the Barcelona Airport...all you need is your passport and airplane ticket...we just returned from a Celebrity Summit cruise April 28 through May 11 from Southampton to Barcelona....

I think you may be asking about the Duty Free at/near the ship? If so, YES, there is a shop that sells Duty Free Liquor at the cruise terminal.

We checked-in and got on the ship, dumped our hand luggage and then got off the ship and went to the Duty Free shop in the cruise terminal. A friend of ours bought a pint of Scotch there. He put it in his pocket. We re-boarded the ship and went through the security on the ship. He walked right through. I do not know if this would have worked had he plunked the pint down on the scanner. :D

• 8 months later...

It sounds almost to good to be true but we will give it a shot when we are in the cruiseship terminal in Barcelona. It seems though that there is also a scanner when you first get on the ship, at least at other ports. I guess the worst thing that could happen would be the booze would be sent to the "naughty room" until final departure night.

An alternative would be to buy a bootle of local vino at the port and drink it on the dock from a paper bag, but no....that's tacky...not classy at all.

We are RCI Diamond and not big drinkers so it's not a problem for us as we get our one or two glasses on wine at the concierage lounge but we have friends who like to have their wine in the cabin.

We were on Brilliance in November and yes after you pass security and the scanners there is a duty free store. No there are no more scanners and all you had to do was put your seapass in the machine. We also went back out after dropping off luggage and brought back water, pop and a couple of bottels of wine.

The duty free store was open in the terminal as we were boarding the Voyager last November for the transatlantic back to Galveston.

We bought 2 bottles of wine and had no issues bringing them on board- even carried them in a separate bag from the liquor store with no questions asked.

have a great cruise.

When we boarded, we noticed that there was a staff member at the foot of the escalator right after the duty free store that was taking liquor bags from people - I think our plan worked the best, just keep your carryon mostly empty and you're good to go!

We sailed on BOS out of Barcelona a year or so ago. I purchased two bottles of local wine at La Boqueria on La Rambla in Barcelona. I had no trouble taking them on the ship in my carry on. They clearly showed uyp as two bottles on the scanner. However, they would not even let us pay a corkage fee and have them in the dining room.

We did the VOS from Barcelona to Galveston in Dec. 07. Bought a case of wine from a winery in Spain that was packed in a wooden wine carry case. Very heavy, but hotel in Barcelona wrapped it with duck tape, made handles and we walked right thru security with it. Did not want to drink any of it on the ship, but took it home with us since kids picked us up at Galveston. There is a duty free shop after you go thru security that you may purchase and take on the ship with you. No problem at all.

• 2 years later...
This was an amazing find :)

We had already had our carry-ons scanned, bought a tin if booze in the duty free and just loaded it into our carry-ons (which we made sure were largely empty).

Bam! booze for the week!

Do you recall how good the selection was and how the pricing was? In particular, did they have Malibu Rum and was it priced competitively? Thanks!

When we went out of Barcelona, there was no RCCL employee there to tag and take your alcohol after the duty free shops. In fact, we boarded the ship and then went back out and hit the shops. I don't remember all of the liquor choices but I do remember that the beer selection was very, very limited. A friend bought a couple of bottles of Bacardi rum so even if they don't have Malibu, you'll be able to choose something that "works."

Does this work the same way when Barcelona is a port stop and not an embarkation point?

I have been thinking the same myself but don't think it will. We won't be boarding though the terminal but instead doing a normal 'get back on the ship' where they will be x-raying everything.

Selection is a bit limited but you should be able to find something that suits your needs, especially if you like Malibu. There are actually a couple of shops across the hallway from one another just prior to going up to the gangway.

We too have purchased there, on multiple occasions. The first time we salied out of Barcelona, we saw the stores, and figured we'd give it a try. We walked out, purchased 4 liters of Sangria, and walked right back on with the duty free shop bags and never got a 2nd look. The second time, as another poster already suggested, we checked in, took our carry-on's on board, emptied one, then walked right back out to the store, filled up and again walked right back on.

There is a final security checkpoint as you cross the gangway, but, as I recall, there was not a scanner at it. It is more to verify you had your shipcard.

Archived