Thoughts before booking from a travel agent

flashdog_1

Photo copy all of your documents and reservation numbers and leave them with a trusted contact-- you can always reach that person by email and have them take care of things for you. Do not put off checking your reservation for misspelling and dining hours -- do it when you make your deposit! Get it done. Take control.

Plan ahead for the dogs, the lawn care service, hire a neighborhood student to water your flowers.

Write down the credit card number you plan to use with the expiration date and the customer service number -- include it with your paperwork you are leaving behind -- in the event you lose your card or it gets stolen it is a lot easier to have someone inside the U.S. contact the card company then you doing it from overseas! Also consider leaving your jewelry behind -- it's a distraction and unnecessary concern when traveling.

Notify you Credit Card Company and let them know you will be making purchases in the region to which you are traveling. Do not carry more than $100.00 or $150.00 per person in cash. You can always use the ATM machines. Give your teenage children a credit card to carry on them in the event of an emergency.

Make sure all the children know the name of the ship and how to get a cab in a strange city or locate a police officer in the event they become separated.

Don't over think things -- keep it simple -- one piece of paper printed off the computer is just as good as 15 pounds of paper for embarkment and boarding air and sea!

Don't broadcast the fact you'll be gone -- only let trusted friends and neighbors know -- keep your mind at ease.

BUDGET! Prepay as much as you can and know your numbers. Stick to them -- don't overbook tours etc. -- determine what is a good HONEST fit for you and your companions -- not everyone needs to go 100 miles per hour every minute of the day.

Be realistic in your expectations -- if you are going to look for shortcomings in everything you will find them -- take everything for what it is. Remember if you can't handle inconveniences and deviations to the plan -- then you should stay home -- but you'll sure miss out on a lot.

Again be honest with yourself -- do you really want to spend a week with your third cousin removed? Make sure the people you are traveling with are people you would like to have around for a long time. It is not always great to have side by side cabins -- distance can make the heart grow fonder.

When you travel remember -- you are going into someone else's backyard. Customs, cultures, behaviors, traditions, foods, homes, shops, attitudes and appearance are not molded around the United States. Be open to everything -- don't pre-judge or make up your mind before ever reaching your port. In some areas begging from the tourists is part of the "charm". In others tipping is not standard and considered rude -- know where you are going and do a little bit of research so you understand where you are stepping off. Be respectful. Be kind and patient. The local folks are just as important to your experience as the scenery.

Really good tips!

Can I add one? You might want to call your credit card and let them know the dates and location of your travels.

On our last cruise, our sail and sign card got declined for a drink at dinner (!!!!!!!!!) and they took our drinks back and we had to go to the pursers desk.. it was embarassing but kind of funny.. i never heard of your sail and sign getting declined. Apparently when the ship went to charge another block of money as a hold for the account, it got declined... it took us about 45 minutes to get someone on the phone from the credit card... they flagged it as suspicious activity cuz we had just spent some money in jamaica... so they stopped any more charges from going through... it was easily resolved but now we always call ahead and let them know the dates and where we are going...

I have no idea why I named it as I did! I meant, "Things to think about before you book your cabin" but didn't want it focused on the word "cabin" & it didn't occur to me to change cabin to "cruise." Would have made more sense. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Got an email today from a travel agent I've used a few times and just copied & pasted.

Yeah cats & dogs get along around here.

Hosts, Administrators,

Can you straighten out the title of my post, and insert a comma before the words, "from a travel agent"? The way I have it now sounds as if it is advice about booking with a travel agent. That is not the case at all. I got the words FROM a travel agent!

Archived