What to do???

honeymooners11

Hi all,

I have been reading through these boards for advice on what to do in regards to car seats and safety while in port. We are traveling from the most Eastern Part of Canada to Orlando and cruising out of Port Canaveral. We are taking a car seat from here as we are vacationing in Orlando for another 10 days post cruise and will have a rental car. My son will be 16 months old and we are wondering what do all others do when wanted to perhaps take transportation to a beach and then do some shopping while in port? Do you lug the car seat around with you?? The portable travel car seat by Eddie Bauer is not legal in Canada yet and I have heard mixed reviews...the sit and stroll is not an option. We will have our own car seat on the cruise with us as we need it before the cruise and after the cruise. Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed...

KT

We have never been in a car with our baby without a car seat, but we did just take a couple of buses and shuttle vans with him. He is almost 12 months old. We decided to wear him in a baby carrier (we have the Ergo... could also work with a bjorn or any other front carrier). That way, he couldn't wiggle around and it seemed safer than just holding him in our laps. Not ideal, but it could work for short trips in taxis or for buses that don't have seat belts anyway.

I've been wondering the same thing too. We have a giant Britax we use at home and we're having trouble picturing ourselves lugging it around the airport, let alone to a beach. We're trying to plan trips that won't involve any taxi rides, like taking a water taxi instead of a regular taxi, or going with the ship's tour so we're in a bus where car seat isn't allowed (not that this is an ideal safety situation either!). I was thinking about getting the Eddie Bauer seat but it's not FAA approved and we wanted something we could use on the plane as well as in port.

Archived