Making due with less clothing: is it possible to dress up without a suit?

Sailfish

Making due with less clothing: is it possible to dress up on formal night and NOT wear a suit?

I have a cruise aboard the Elation and Glory coming up this summer. We are driving down to San Diego and doing a five night cruise to Mexico in June, but flying on Delta to Orlando and over to Port Canaveral in late July to board the Glory. We are planning on scuba diving in the Western Caribbean ports of call (while on the Glory), so we intend to take our own dive gear. Well, that poses a significant challenge in how to pack, so I thought I would ask how cruise line passengers are making due with less, especially on formal nights thanks to airline baggage restrictions?

Carnival tends to be more laid back, but in the past, passengers still had a tendancy to dress up on Formal Night - guys mostly in suits anyway. Well, since we are looking to save on checked baggage, I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of formal night attire. I won't change my choice of outfits, as my little black cocktail dress doesn't take up much room. But my husband's suit does, therefore, I was wondering if a shirt and tie was good enough on formal night?

I am already having to cut back on the number of shoes, purses, and outfits I plan to take with me to make room for our dive gear, but not having to pack larger items like a suit, would free up more space for other things like dive gear and souvenirs.

Anyway, I am looking for feedback and observations - not advice on how to dress. We have always dressed up, but issues with packing are forcing me to re-evaluate what is necessary and I am beginning to think that it might be smarter for my husband to leave his suit at home! What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Suzi

Suzi - We usually don't do with less clothes, my DW always rolls the clothes before she puts them in the luggage. We both travel alot for work and found that this really saves space and the stuff doesn't come out wrinkled. it doesn't sound like it works but believe me, it does.

Maybe this will help you to be able to take everything you want and reduce a piece of luggage.

I feel your pain, but we usually drive down so we don't have the airline problems, just the extra dive bags. What your are taking to wear will be just fine. Its what makes you comfortable. We still prefer to dress up but that is just us. We went on the Western Glory Oct 07 and dove 3 ports. Which ones are you'al looking at?

We're probably diving the same ports as you: in Roatan, Cozumel, Belize. It's been a while since we've been to Port Lucaya and UNEXSO, so we'll probably dive there also - not much else to do there, but a lot depends on the weather, which in late July can be iffy.

That said, I am experiencing some sticker shock as to the cost to dive in Roatan. We were there in 2006, and I know we didn't spend more than $30 per tank to dive. I am finding that prices have really shot up in both Cozumel and Roatan - thanks to the cost of fuel, I am sure. Regardless, we will be diving - any recommendations as to dive ops I should contact? Not much choice in Belize - though we'll probably walk over to Seas Sports Belize and see if they have room for us. We were on Ambergris Cay earlier this year, so if we didn't go diving, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I really want to dive in Cozumel Roatan and in Port Lucaya.

First of all DO NOT listen to the OPINIONS of folks on here as to what you should wear. Go to the Carnival website, read the new dress code and decide for yourself. It's much more relaxed than it used to be and much more in tune with the times.

Quite frankly, after 20 Cruises I'm tired of dressing in my Tux twice during a cruise. I have more "Formal" portraits than I will ever need, so I am looking forward to wearing dress slacks, and a nice dress shirt to dinner on "Elegant" nights on our upcoming cruise on the Valor.

We've already decided to travel light and go fairly casual. My husband will pack a tie and play it by ear, but no suit. As we get free laundry with Carnival's Conciege/Platinum level membership, a very much appreciated past guest perk, we'll make due with less.

But the funny thing is, it's getting hard for me to pare down my stuff - shoes and other accessories take up a lot of luggage space, but as I begin to sort through the stuff I can live without and stuff I can't, I am finding that it's hard NOT to take less than three pairs of shoes! HELP!

We've already decided to travel light and go fairly casual. My husband will pack a tie and play it by ear, but no suit. As we get free laundry with Carnival's Conciege/Platinum level membership, a very much appreciated past guest perk, we'll make due with less.

But the funny thing is, it's getting hard for me to pare down my stuff - shoes and other accessories take up a lot of luggage space, but as I begin to sort through the stuff I can live without and stuff I can't, I am finding that it's hard NOT to take less than three pairs of shoes! HELP!

I'm with you on the shoes. We are divers too so one of our bags is our gear so we are pretty much down to three bags for clothing and such. Normally I have a bag for my shoes and accessories, makeup, etc alone. The outfits I have picked out so far I believe each have their own pair of shoes to go with them, luckily I won't be wearing much more than flip flops during the day. ;)

On our last cruise my 25 yr.old grandson wore a pair of dress black pants & a dress black shirt on formal night. Very "GQ" looking & later in one of the bars someone asked me who the good looking young man I was talking to was. I of course as his grandmother thinks he is handsome but coming from someone else just made me beam !!! ;)

Mary Kay,

I love your new pic in your avatar........You party on girl *LOL* :)

I am soooooo jealous of your "Fire and Ice" Tour. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

ENJOY:)

Suzi - We usually don't do with less clothes, my DW always rolls the clothes before she puts them in the luggage. We both travel alot for work and found that this really saves space and the stuff doesn't come out wrinkled. it doesn't sound like it works but believe me, it does.

Maybe this will help you to be able to take everything you want and reduce a piece of luggage.

We already do what you are suggesting with our clothes and have never had an issue with making good use of the available space in our luggage, but thank you very much for the tip, as others reading this may find it helpful.

The problem isn't so much with the amount of clothes we need to take (though not having to pack a suit and long formal gowns will surely help a lot) - it's more an issue of other things, like shoes (mens shoes are heavy), dive gear, and stuff like make-up, camera gear and the lap top not to mention sun screen, beach bag, etc. We are flying to FLA on Delta, so we will each get to check one 50lb bag for free. We are leaving behind the laptop, but trying hard to somehow bring our underwater camera along (those of you who are divers know how much crap an UW camera has). I am now waiting for Delta and the others to impose fees on carry-ons. Have you traveled lately? It's insane the amount of stuff people are carrying on airplanes.

I too travel for business occasionally and during my most recent trip to Chicago, I was among the last to board the return flight home - OMG...by the time I got on, there was virtually no room left in the overhead bins! I guess maybe the key is to get seats in the back of the plane so you are among the first to board to insure you get some overhead space! I couldn't believe the amount of stuff people were boarding with on that flight. It's only a matter of time before the airlines begin to inforce the number of carry-ons you can have!!

Thanks again for your recommendation!!

Suzi

Mary Kay,

I love your new pic in your avatar........You party on girl *LOL* :)

I am soooooo jealous of your "Fire and Ice" Tour. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

ENJOY:)

Thanks for the compliment, that pic was taken at the "Frog & Onion" in Bermuda we were tasting the different beers they brew & just had to have a rum swizzle too. Boy was I a little lite headed when we started back to the ship but it was really a good time.

If it weren't for the military discount I would never be doing the "Fire & Ice Tour" now if only the airlines would be nice to us...We originally were only going to Alaska but my sister said we are not getting any younger & with the price of flying we should do it all in one shot & save a little on the whole trip.:D

Which we will save about $500 to $600 doing it this way...

Divers: I've been diving all over the Carribean. Re-think taking the whole dive bag. I always take my own mask, snorkel, computer, camera, and one time only, my new reg, mesh bag. No need to bring your own BC, reg, suit (not needed), lights, fins, stuff, etc. Pare down on the dive gear, it's heavy. You can even rent a camera if you want one. I've even shipped some bulky photography equipment ahead UPS but it doesn't work so well cruising.

I love the idea about a nice pair of black slacks and the black shirt. It looks black tie w/o the bulk. Make that a silk black shirt and voila, formal.

Divers: I've been diving all over the Carribean. Re-think taking the whole dive bag. I always take my own mask, snorkel, computer, camera, and one time only, my new reg, mesh bag. No need to bring your own BC, reg, suit (not needed), lights, fins, stuff, etc.

And you've never come across all the crappy equipment the dive ops give or rent you while in the Caribbean? I am shocked!! I'd rather make due with less clothes than have issues with my dive gear!! This time, the stuff to go will have to be my shoes and accessories. And for my husband, his suit!

You may be lucky and come across a dive operation that just got in new gear, but I have had my fill of diving with regulators with no bite (don't know what they call the part you chomp on), or with BC's that leak or won't dump air. It's enough I have to deal with leaky tanks!! I don't mean to be rude, but where you have been diving that had good gear? I was so grateful I had my own stuff on our last scuba cruise; several members decided to take advantage of free rental gear, and ALL had issues with one thing or an other. Nothing so major as to have to abort the dive, but a pain all the same! I always dive with a shortie, but I don't mind borrowing one from the dive shop. But two pieces of gear I just won't compromise on is my BC and regulator. Those fit easily in my carry-on - I have to find room for my fins in my checked bag, but I'd rather do that than have to deal with crappy gear!! To tell you the truth, my husband has it harder, as my sun dresses don't take up all that much room. Unfortunately, my shoes do!!

We will be going to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Freeport in July - one bag a piece for free. Think we can make it? I'll post a report and let you know how I do!!

Maybe we have been lucky but I've had more trouble with my own stuff than any rentals. Mayreau Gardens ons in the Grenadines was the best dive ever, Belize shark ray alley great, Grand Cayman wall, took the week long photo course w/ Cathy Church. But then again DH learned on double hose, single stage regs back in the early 70's, and didn't even get a BC till 2000. Not too spoiled with all the new fangled stuff but I do love the computer :p. Telling on our age now. Touche though. Enjoy your diving. For a great read on the ship, try Hell Diver's Rodeo by Huberto Fontova. Available on Amazon.

I have to agree for the ladies, shoes are the biggest pain. Men's shoes are bigger though.

Divers: I've been diving all over the Carribean. Re-think taking the whole dive bag. I always take my own mask, snorkel, computer, camera, and one time only, my new reg, mesh bag. No need to bring your own BC, reg, suit (not needed), lights, fins, stuff, etc. Pare down on the dive gear, it's heavy. You can even rent a camera if you want one. I've even shipped some bulky photography equipment ahead UPS but it doesn't work so well cruising.

I love the idea about a nice pair of black slacks and the black shirt. It looks black tie w/o the bulk. Make that a silk black shirt and voila, formal.

The idea of a silk shirt is great, maybe next cruise I will surprise him with a nice black silk shirt when & if he goes again as a "BON VOYAGE" gift...;)

Because we do not cruise with Carnival too often, I was sort of at a loss as to what to take; I had heard the dress code changed, but I didn't realize to what extent.

I am actually fine with a more casual formal night. On Princess, passengers do dress well on formal nights, but it tends to be more low key than it used to be. Most women wear cocktail dresses instead of floor length formals and suits for the guys instead of tuxes tends to be the norm. Passengers on Princess tend to keep it simple compared to our past cruises on Carnival. But I guess that's all changed. On Princess, though, you seldom see guys in shorts at night in the dining room. I like the Palm Beach resort casual feel of Princess anyway - I am guessing that's where Carnival's dress code must be heading also. Seems a bit more appropriate for the Caribbean anyway!!

Thanks!

Hey Suzi,

I feel your pain girl...lol... I don't have a "Mike" to wonder about but the luggage restrictions, are ridiculous. I won't be doing the long gowns anymore. Just cocktail dresses. It's insane. I'm just coming home from Florida but when I came here, they are really enforcing the carry on issue on American Airlines. Only 1 carry on and 1 personal item. And the carry on better meet their size/weight restrictions. It's unreal. But as far as formal night, you both will look good in anything... :D

Hey, the way Carnival is lowering their standards now-a-day's, you can probably get one of those tuxedo t-shirts and be just fine..... NOT!!!! Take the jacket. Would you go to dinner in town to a five star restaurant without a jacket? I think not. You might go, but you won't get inside. :) Etiquette and respect should be the rule of the day, I don't care how relaxed the "rules" have become. Shame on Carnival.

While I agree with you, with the airlines baggage restrictions, I think formal night is a thing of the past. What a shame but I don't want to pay extra for luggage either. :eek:

No way is my dh not taking his stuff. We just bought new gear...plus he has a bad knee so his fins are a must. All our stuff fits into one large rolling duffle bag so its not too much of an issue. I prefer to have a skin because in Cozumel last year we encountered many jellyfish, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Luckily our underwater camera isn't huge and I have a camera backpack that all my cameras will fit into and it will serve as my "purse" in the carry-on. :)

[quote name='Sailfish']We're probably diving the same ports as you: in Roatan, Cozumel, Belize. It's been a while since we've been to Port Lucaya and UNEXSO, so we'll probably dive there also - not much else to do there, but a lot depends on the weather, which in late July can be iffy.

That said, I am experiencing some sticker shock as to the cost to dive in Roatan. We were there in 2006, and I know we didn't spend more than $30 per tank to dive. I am finding that prices have really shot up in both Cozumel and Roatan - thanks to the cost of fuel, I am sure. Regardless, we will be diving - any recommendations as to dive ops I should contact? Not much choice in Belize - though we'll probably walk over to Seas Sports Belize and see if they have room for us. We were on Ambergris Cay earlier this year, so if we didn't go diving, it wouldn't be the [I]end of the world[/I]. But I really want to dive in Cozumel Roatan and in Port Lucaya.[/quote]
Cozumel has a ton of good shops. We have used Dive Paradise and Papa Hogs mostly. DP is within walking distance from the downtown pier. You will need a cab with PH. PH has a decent little bar with cheap beer when you finish your dives. Both are about 60 to 70 pp for a 2 tank and they both have small fast boats. We have done the "walk in" at both places and gotten a boat, but I still prefer to book it. Roatan has several good shops on the west end. Reef Gliders had some of the best prices and is a good shop. I think they are 30 pp per tank + a $3 park fee. That included rental gear if you don't take any or all of yours. They go out at 9,11, and 2 so you should be able to get at least one in. Of course their are others and follow up with them on this info. I hope this helps.:D

[quote name='cruzegirl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Hey Suzi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]I feel your pain girl...lol... I don't have a "Mike" to wonder about but the luggage restrictions, are ridiculous. I won't be doing the long gowns anymore. Just cocktail dresses. It's insane. I'm just coming home from Florida but when I came here, they are really enforcing the carry on issue on American Airlines. Only 1 carry on and 1 personal item. And the carry on better meet their size/weight restrictions. It's unreal. But as far as formal night, you both will look good in anything... :D [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Hi Debbie!

What a mess this is going to be!! Mike and I are flying out to FLA in July and doing a cheap-o cruise on the Glory after we take care of some business. I am really looking forward to the cruise and diving, but you think I'll be able to take my dive bag on the plane - you know the one I always use? I think it measures exactly within the size guidelines, but not sure about the weight. We are going on Delta and using Mike's miles. Did Mike tell you we got a new camera - similar to your old one? We are now looking for a uw housing. I'll have to skype you before our trip to San Diego in June. I'd love to pop in on the way down, but it's cheaper to fly down - go figure!

Anyway, I'll have to talk to you about your trip to FLA.

Toodles.

Suzi

P.S. We got the 2009 scuba cruise confirmed on the Liberty of the Seas. I'll send you the info soon.

[quote name='scuabacruiser']Cozumel has a ton of good shops. We have used Dive Paradise and Papa Hogs mostly. DP is within walking distance from the downtown pier. You will need a cab with PH. PH has a decent little bar with cheap beer when you finish your dives. Both are about 60 to 70 pp for a 2 tank and they both have small fast boats. We have done the "walk in" at both places and gotten a boat, but I still prefer to book it. Roatan has several good shops on the west end. Reef Gliders had some of the best prices and is a good shop. I think they are 30 pp per tank + a $3 park fee. That included rental gear if you don't take any or all of yours. They go out at 9,11, and 2 so you should be able to get at least one in. Of course their are others and follow up with them on this info. I hope this helps.:D[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I too want to make arrangements a head of time, but not sure I can. Thank you again for your suggestions.

[quote name='Sailfish']Hi Debbie!

What a mess this is going to be!! Mike and I are flying out to FLA in July and doing a cheap-o cruise on the Glory after we take care of some business. I am really looking forward to the cruise and diving, but you think I'll be able to take my dive bag on the plane - you know the one I always use? I think it measures exactly within the size guidelines, but not sure about the weight. We are going on Delta and using Mike's miles. Did Mike tell you we got a new camera - similar to your old one? We are now looking for a uw housing. I'll have to skype you before our trip to San Diego in June. I'd love to pop in on the way down, but it's cheaper to fly down - go figure!

Anyway, I'll have to talk to you about your trip to FLA.

Toodles.

Suzi

P.S. We got the 2009 scuba cruise confirmed on the Liberty of the Seas. I'll send you the info soon.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Suzi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Yes, let's talk before you come down this way.... Would love to chat with you. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]You should be fine with your small dive bag. I just used that as my carry on with snorkel stuff/camera stuff and was fine. But I only had that and my purse. Other people were trying to bring a carry on, a briefcase and a personal item. Or a carry on that was over size. They are really cracking down on that. It just irks me to know end that AA is going to charge for even 1 piece of checked luggage. Allowing 1 piece should come with the price of the ticket. Really makes me angry.......[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Florida was a blast. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived