~credit Of Port Charges~

mo64rn

Missed Nassau and when I called RCCL to ask about the port charges, they told me that even though it was missed, they still had to pay the port charges - does not make sense to me.

Seems like some people get money back and others don't.

• 2 weeks later...
INteresting. The purser on the ship told us no refunds because we were not charged port charges which according to him has been for the last 5 years since some law suit. He stated that no cruise line charges them. I think what he meant to say is that they were inclusive in the price and not itemized. However, on Disney 2 years ago we were credited port charges for missing Grand Cayman. Go figure?

[quote name='mo64rn']INteresting. The purser on the ship told us no refunds because we were not charged port charges which according to him has been for the last 5 years since some law suit. He stated that no cruise line charges them. I think what he meant to say is that they were inclusive in the price and not itemized. However, on Disney 2 years ago we were credited port charges for missing Grand Cayman. Go figure?[/QUOTE]There was a class action suit about them around five years ago which ended with tons of vouchers being distributed to customers. Since then cruiselines have pretty much quit listing them as a separate, additional charge. That, of course, wouldn't stop a line from giving you a credit if they felt like doing so. RCI doesn't feel like it and states that quite explicitly (in legalese) in the cruise contract.

[quote name='mo64rn']INteresting. The purser on the ship told us no refunds because we were not charged port charges which according to him has been for the last 5 years since some law suit. He stated that no cruise line charges them. I think what he meant to say is that they were inclusive in the price and not itemized. However, on Disney 2 years ago we were credited port charges for missing Grand Cayman. Go figure?[/QUOTE]
That's interesting too since I just looked at my invoice for my upcoming Radiance cruise and it itemizes out the "port charges"....... hhhmmmmm.......

[quote name='mohavemommy']That's interesting too since I just looked at my invoice for my upcoming Radiance cruise and it itemizes out the "port charges"....... hhhmmmmm.......[/QUOTE]

Did you book direct or through a TA? I am on Radiance in Jan. I booked direct and looked at my invoice. There is no line item for port charges. Only the base fare, insurance, and tax.

[quote name='jrm9999']Did you book direct or through a TA? I am on Radiance in Jan. I booked direct and looked at my invoice. There is no line item for port charges. Only the base fare, insurance, and tax.[/QUOTE]
thru a TA..... but when I go onto RCI's web site, the price RCI has is the same as the total price my TA has.....hhhmmmmm again

They charge for port charges is a separate line item. The lawsuit was about charges that the cruise lines were putting in the line item that were really extra profit for them. They may now only have an additional charge for actual port charges and other governmental fees and taxes and nothing else. All other charges must be included in the cruise price. The Pursor is just plain wrong.

Further, it is my understanding that no one may advertise a cruise price without including ports charges and taxes or showing them as a seperate line item clearly shown in the ad. Also, any service charges by the TA must also be shown in the ad.

Archived