Help, can't decide on early vs late dining

JosieRhodes

Hi!, We are going on Explorer of the Seas 9 day cruise to New England at end of July 2008. The kids will be nine and eight at that time. Right now, we are booked for main seating, but I'm waffling on the idea.

When the kids were younger, we went on two Disney cruises for which we had late seating. It worked out perfectly because we always went to the early show as a family (as kids seem to like them a lot). Depending on their moods, sometimes they ate with us, sometimes we fed them earlier and they went to kids club. Even if they ate with us, sometimes one of us took them up to kids club.. then we had relaxing dessert, etc....

Since I don't know much about Royal's shows, kid club hours, and the kids are a bit older, I'm still wondering which seating will work best.... I guess I'm a little nervous as also heard that main seating is very early on New England cruises... and I personally hate trying to get ready so early after a day in port, etc...

Course, we are also with my parents who like to eat early so we may be stuck with early seating. Then, my question is do a lot of kids go to shows on Royal Carribean... after first seating dinner... My kids really seem to enjoy that typical type of entertainment... just curious

Thanks in advance...

We weren't on RCCL but Celebrity on a med cruise last summer. We were with friends who absolutely insisted on the later seating.

I found it a pain with the kids. Ours were 7, 5 & 3. Most of the time, they ate early with the club or I had to take them to the buffet before we went to eat. I couldn't take them to the shows because they were always hungry.

I think the later seating was very kid-unfriendly. The table next to us complained if one of our girls made the slightest sound. It was annoying and I ignored them the whole time (the people, not the girls).

My son ate with us once and wouldn't again. It was just too darned late.

Anyway, it was a mess. The other family has one 15 year old girl so yeah, they wanted second seating and didn't really factor in what a pain it was for us.

Either way, you'll organize it so that it'll work. Your children are older and it will be easier anyway. Celebrity is by reputation, a less child-friendly line, although the kids' club was great and we had a good time overall.

My kids are 7 and 4 and late seating has worked for us. We feed the kids before taking them to Adventure Ocean at 7 p.m. I'd either bring something back to the room from the Windjammer, we'd get them pizza or we'd order room service. The kids really liked ordering room service! My oldest always wants to go to AO and picks that over the shows.

Sometimes, the younger one would go with us to the show and to dinner, but on his last cruise, he picked AO every time. He loved all the attention from the staff and no other tables in our area seemed to notice him. We'd pick our DD up at 10 p.m. and bring her to the dining room just as our dessert was being delivered. This is truly vacation for her!

I guess my point is, RCCL is easy to adapt to with late dinner for kids. They can attend shows, go to AO or enjoy late dinner with you. When we knew my son was going to have late dinner with us, we'd let him eat a snack when we fed my daughter to hold him over. His favorite was the fruit and cheese tray!

A couple of other things to consider. We used to take the late seating and switched to the earlier because of my 2 YO GS. Worked good the first cruise BUT …. This past cruise he was 3 and it was port intensive. We did the Australia/New Zealand cruise and most of our tours were 8-9 hours, which meant he missed his naps, was on the move all day and we got back on the ship, basically in time to get ready for dinner. My point is, if you plan on taking late shore excrusions you might want to think about not doing the early seating as there is no time for breaks. Also, on Princess at least, the kids clubs were not open so you either ate then or at the buffet, if the kids were too cranky for the restaurant. Next cruise will be late seating again.

With yours being older (as mine were) the later was fine. They usually had an afternoon snack to hold them over, we had dinner then went to the shows. Late for the little ones, but then it was right to bed for them. Mine have been cruising since they were 7.

Most all A/O kids activities start around 7-7:30 and end at 10:00. If the kids want to do the kid stuff and you want them to dine with you , the early seating is a must. If you want to dine with out the kids, you could take them to the buffet or do the room service and then drop them at A/O and go enjoy dinner. My 8 year old could not wait to get to the kids club. It is a great program. The shows to me, were really not for kids. It definately is not the same as Disney. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

My son is NOT the kind of child to enjoy sitting down and eating a full dinner, especially since he has some sensory issues and is extremely limited in his menu. His idea of heaven is to grab some food and then enjoy his activities. He's 13 now, so he definitely does not want to spend time with Mom, at least on the ship (ports are different).

If you want and expect your kids to eat with you, then you shoudl go to the early seating so they can go to their programs and have fun with the other kids. This could impact your Port days - you either have to be back to the ship on time, or eat buffet/room service. Sitting down for a long meal at 8 pm would be really tough for little ones anyway.

If your children are anything like my son, making them sit down to a 3 or 4 course dinner is about as much fun as putting an ice pick through your ear. On my next cruise, I have the late seating booked. I intend to feed him at the buffet, room service or the pizza restaurant. If he wants to go to the show, then we'll go to the show together. After the show, he'll go to his activities and I'll have a civilised dinner with tablecloths, waiters and NO chicken nuggets. :D

The shows on RCI are very different from Disney shows. I'm not at all saying they're not kid friendly, but think more Vegas type shows rather than something that's Disney. Also more singers of the Broadway type and usually a comedian. I really liked the Disney entertainment, but not so much the RCI shows--- just so much the same as on other ships and in Vegas. I think it might be a great idea to feed the kids earlier, have them join the kids activities, and then you have a leisurly dinner late.

I have a 9 and 10 year old and we have always taken late seating (we've taken them on 6 cruises). Both kids usually eat with us and our daughter loves all shows (typically one or the other of us take her because we are usually too tired). My thought is that what matters most is the disposition/interests of the child. Both of mine love to get dressed up on some days and go to the kids program during dinner only 1-2 times over a cruise. Other kids love to spend every night at the kids program.

Interestingly, my mom has also traveled with us on several of these cruises and she likes the later time so she can rest a little earlier in the evening.

Archived