Balcony Room versus an Oceanview

diligaf51

Although most will disgree, for what it is worth, here is my opinion. I just had a balcony for the first time this month, and I certainly thought it was nice, but no big deal. I am definitely not "addicted" and I am very willing to go back to nonbalcony cruising and cannot justify the large extra cost after the experience.

I am familiar with their future policy. Plus, will it last and will it be strictly enforced.

I just did two Constellation cruises between April 11 and May 3. They did not ban smoking on balconies on those cruises. A nurse friend who was also on the cruise told me it was terrible on her balcony. She complained and they said they could do nothing.

Plus, what about other cruise lines?

You are right. It is a future policy, darn it all! Therefore, we aren't cruising this summer, but will cruise as soon as we get the opportunity to do so AFTER October 1st on Celebrity.

I hope that the policy is strictly enforced, and trust that it will be. If a single fine (do not know how large the fine will be) does not serve to deter a smoker who breaks the rules, I hope that Celebrity will assess the fee for EACH infraction and ultimately disembark passengers who refuse to quit smoking where it is not permitted, because I read somewhere that some smokers might just consider the fine as a special fee they are willing to pay, just so they can continue to smoke where they want.

As for "will it [the ban] last?". Yes, I am sure that it will. In my opinion, Celebrity is going to reap the rewards of implementing the new smoking policies, especially if their competitors do not follow suit right away.

You are right. It is a future policy, darn it all! Therefore, we aren't cruising this summer, but will cruise as soon as we get the opportunity to do so AFTER October 1st on Celebrity.

I hope that the policy is strictly enforced, and trust that it will be. If a single fine (do not know how large the fine will be) does not serve to deter a smoker who breaks the rules, I hope that Celebrity will assess the fee for EACH infraction and ultimately disembark passengers who refuse to quit smoking where it is not permitted, because I read somewhere that some smokers might just consider the fine as a special fee they are willing to pay, just so they can continue to smoke where they want.

As for "will it [the ban] last?". Yes, I am sure that it will. In my opinion, Celebrity is going to reap the rewards of implementing the new smoking policies, especially if their competitors do not follow suit right away.

The fine is listed as a $250, "cleaning fee" which I do NOT feel is enough, I agree with the Oceania, Azamara policies that people are actually put off the ship for multiple infractions!

We just tried an OV for the first time on a short 6 day Pacific Coastal cruise. We decided that for a short cruise where we were not likely to see much scenery we could live with it but for a longer more scenic cruise it is definitely a balcony for us.

We always get a balcony, but for a slightly different reason. We travel with 2 kids. When it is time to get ready for the day (or dinner), that 170 sq ft. seems more like 2 sq ft. I get the kids ready and send them out to the balcony to chill (they are 8 and 10, so no danger) then DH and I can get ready without the kids under foot. My DH spends a good portion of her room time reading on the balcony, she would also be very disappointed if we went without.

Archived