cayman

kids1stcruise

"may be stupid question but i am wondering if there are waves at cayman?:rolleyes:"

OK, I admit it does sound like a stupid question, but I am not sure what it is that you really want to know? icon12.gif

There are waves everywhere there is water and wind, and in places exposed to swells created by distant winds. As a rule, the waves on the west, "beach" side of the Island are minimal as it is normally a lee shore (the wind is blowing offshore). The other coasts generally have moderate wave action, in the range of 2 - 6 feet, occasionally much larger. Much of the shoreline is partially protected from these waves by an offshore reef.

Even the beach side can be rough, but that is the exception, particularly in the summer. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair warning.... those places where there are waves in Cayman are no places for kids to be playing in the water. The waves are breaking there because of near-shore rock and/or reef. If the little ones got knocked down by a wave they would probably end up badly cut up.

Other islands have places where waves are lifted up by a rising sandy bottom. That is a more suitable environment for playing in the surf.

I must say, I too prefer to swim in the waves when I go to the ocean. I prefer waves because waves minimize the fish in the area. (I have an unnatural phobia of fish touching me.)

That said, Cayman is a whole different experience...

I have seen the Caribbean in a few places in Mexico, the Gulf of Mexico on EACH of it's coastlines, and the Atlantic in places... and NEVER have I ever seen water so clear as Cayman. It's clearer than a swimming pool, even clearer than a glass of water. I actually had the urge to snorkel!

While the waves do add to an ocean experience, would your boys like snorkeling? Or perhaps you could consider an excursion to the Stingray City? If you are unfamiliar with the excursion, do look into it. Boys in general just might like something like that.

Archived