DISNEY - transfer only or whole package?

lee898

I will be travelling with my husband and two sons, ages 3 & 4 on the NCL Spirit in July. We plan to visit Disney Magic Kingdom when we stop in Port Canaveral. Should I purchase the transfer from ship to park only or should I purchase the whole package (transfers and tickets). Need some advice. I've read that if I don't purchase at least the transfers through NCL then we will be the last ones off the boat, as those with transfers purchased through NCL go first.

Would love to hear from anyone with some advice or has done this before. THANKS!

What sailing are you on that stops in Port Canavaral? How long will you be in Port?

I've only ever used the Disney Transportation to and from port, but I was sailing on a Disney ship going from Disney World to the port.

It's about a hour ride from the Port to Disney World, so I would want to be off the ship ASAP and headed that way. Magic Kingdom is large!

Don't know if you've been there before so here's some of my experiences, Not to try and pack in even more to too short of a time, but Epcot is great too especially with the little one. My kids were the same age as yours when we went in Dec 06, they liked Epcot better. Nemo, Spaceship Earth, and one that I can't remember the name of, but you ride in huge boats seeing dinosaurs and it's narrated by Ellen. We also saw and got the most pictures with Characters here.

Anyway, if booking through NCL will get you on a transfer quicker I'd go for it. HTH!:)

One thing to think about: are you likely to get back in the future? The ticket pricing structure at Disney is such that if you buy, say, a 10 day ticket (with the added option of no expiration) the per diem cost is significantly less than a single day ticket. As I recall, Disney does not charge admission for the three year old. Also, if you eat at a buffet (say the Pooh and friends character lunch at Crystal Palace) there is no charge for the 3 year old.

If you want a sit down lunch, I would make reservations today. We're going in Oct, and we booked all our meals 180 days out. With the current popularity of Disney's dining plan, advance reservations are really recommended.

I agree with Cruisinmama06. I think for a day, the Magic Kingdom will have more than enough for you to do. Especially, don't miss the parade. If you end up with a Park Hopper pass, and you find you have the time, you can always hop on the monorail and check out Epcot, but it's probably our least favorite park. It's wonderful, but we like the others a bit more.

Have fun! :)

I will be travelling with my husband and two sons, ages 3 & 4 on the NCL Spirit in July. We plan to visit Disney Magic Kingdom when we stop in Port Canaveral. Should I purchase the transfer from ship to park only or should I purchase the whole package (transfers and tickets). Need some advice. I've read that if I don't purchase at least the transfers through NCL then we will be the last ones off the boat, as those with transfers purchased through NCL go first.

Would love to hear from anyone with some advice or has done this before. THANKS!

We did that very cruise 3 years ago on the Dawn. We went to Magic Kingdom with our kids, too. But, we bought the transfers through NCL and bought the Disney tickets direct from Disney. It was much, much less $ that way. And, you're right about being the last ones. Those who have purchased the transfers through NCL will be first off. It's worth the few extra dollars for that.

Happy Sailing!!!

I don't like Epcott as much....much more for the kids to do in Magic Kingdom...even if you don't get to see the whole park.

What are the ticket prices through NCL? I know the ticket prices through Disney, so we can compare. :)

I guess it's a pretty subjective thing. At the time my son really didn't like rides, so he was happier with the really sedate rides at Epcot. DD wasn't tall enough to ride most of the rides other than Mickey's toontown either, so I'm sure that is tainting my view.

Now that we've been to Disneyland and he's into the Buzz Lightyear and she can ride pretty much anything, it probably is a whole different story. :)

I guess it's a pretty subjective thing. At the time my son really didn't like rides, so he was happier with the really sedate rides at Epcot. DD wasn't tall enough to ride most of the rides other than Mickey's toontown either, so I'm sure that is tainting my view.

Now that we've been to Disneyland and he's into the Buzz Lightyear and she can ride pretty much anything, it probably is a whole different story. :)

Oh yeah, if your son didn't like rides, MK would not have been a good place...lol

There are very few height restrictions at Disney Magic Kingdom. I don't think I spent more than 5 minutes in toon town...but even as infants, my kids could go on lots of rides.

The only real ride restriction is Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Raceway and Stitch's Escape (off the top of my head...dont kill me if there are more). Every other ride at MK my kids could go on, even as infants.

Most of the rides there are created to be family experiences, so Pooh's Ride, Snow White, Peter Pan, Its A Small World, Dumbo Elephants, Haunted Mansion (yes even as toddlers my kids LOVED this ride...lol), Pirates of the Carribean, etc have no height restrictions.

Of course, I have a 4 year old that is begging to go on Tower of Terror, she has ONE more inch to go...lol. :eek:

The only real ride restriction is Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Raceway and Stitch's Escape (off the top of my head...dont kill me if there are more). Every other ride at MK my kids could go on, even as infants.

Those are the one's DD would have loved even at 2.

Most of the rides there are created to be family experiences, so Pooh's Ride, Snow White, Peter Pan, Its A Small World, Dumbo Elephants, Haunted Mansion (yes even as toddlers my kids LOVED this ride...lol), Pirates of the Carribean, etc have no height restrictions.

We did all of those. Don't get me wrong. I love MK, I just also like Epcot a lot! :)

DS chatized me that Peter pan was too scary and we almost couldn't get him on anything else after Pirates of the Carribean. Snow White and haunted mansion just weren't happening for him.

OP, I hope you have a fantastic time in Disney World!

If you go to Epcot, most people skip the innoventions buildings. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!

There's the underwriter's laboratory - the kids get to see and do (hands on) testing of various products. There's a walk through house of the future. There's also the plastic works - you get to design a robot on screen, and then using a special mat that you run and jump on, the kids get to control their robot in a race. Then you get to build a 'robot' - one of the few things that are free in disney. Right near there is the character meet and greet - and AIR CONDITIONED!!! Also, in my experience much less crowded than Mickey's tent in toontown. So far, everytime I've been at the epcot Mickey has been there.

Also at Epcot, catch the Jammitors performance and the Muppet Mobile Lab.

If you go to the Magic Kingdom, try to see Captain Jack's pirate tutorial.

Disney does charge for 3 year old children. I am not positive about the buffets, but they will be charged for admission. The tickets for 3-9 year olds are $60 for a one day admission on the website. Ouch! I didn't realize how good the Florida resident rate is. ;)

Disney does charge for 3 year old children. I am not positive about the buffets, but they will be charged for admission. The tickets for 3-9 year olds are $60 for a one day admission on the website. Ouch! I didn't realize how good the Florida resident rate is. ;)

You know - you're right of course, and I got it wrong. Somehow I thought it included 3 year olds, but now I realize it is under 3. :o Sorry, and thanks for catching that and correcting me. :) I hate it when I unintentionally pass on incorrect info. Since DD is only 5 - it seems a bit premature for my memory to start failing so soon....:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for all the info. It seems like buying the transfer and purchasing the tickets at Disney is the way to go. I appreciate all the feedback on the rides, etc. We will only be in port for approx. 10 hrs. so we'd like to make the most of it - well, at least the most you can do with a 3 & 4 yr. old w/o a nap!:) We are sailing on the Spirit out of NYC on July 6th.

Depending on the time of year you are going, you may want to re-consider Magic Kingdom for only one day. When DD was 2 and DS was 7, we took them to MK for the day while docked in Port Canaveral on the Dawn. It was their first Disney experience. And, we were all very excited. This was the second week in June. Well, the crowds were immense! The lines for the attractions weren't bad, but just trying to cross the street took longer than waiting in any line! We were able to enjoy only 4 of the attractions. Then, 2 years later, we went to Tampa for the week (same week of June) and went to Busch Gardens for the day. Whole different story! Crowds were much lighter and they had so many things for the little ones. DD was thrilled when we came upon some rides for just her size (DS was too big to ride them). We saw nearly everything. We loved BG and can't wait to go again.

We do plan to do Disney at some point (maybe in another year or two). But, we'll make it for a whole week so we can enjoy more.

Happy Sailing!! :D

Archived