Teenager Advice

SwimMom919396,

We stuck to similar rules from home. I've got a 16, 20 and 22 year old. When the kids were younger we went by the following:

1. We needed to know always where they were.

2. Ships can give you a false sense of security. They had to be in public spaces at all times. Absolutely no going into someone's cabin without our prior approval. (Meaning we needed to meet the friend(s) and parents and we got to decide what our comfort level was with this.)

3. No alcohol. No excuses. We are not big drinkers to begin with. As our daughters have gotten older, alcohol doesn't appear to be their focus. (Thankfully). Our son is 16 and we still keep a close eye.

4. If they were going to leave a teen or youth program, they needed to let us know. The programs were not always great and the kids would sometimes go to hang out at the pool or different space.

5. Take advantage of the youth and teen programming. For the most part it was good to excellent on our previous cruises.

My husband and I also, very quietly, spent some time "spying" on them. It meant tracking them down to make sure they were where they were supposed to be. We did this without them noticing us (the goal). I hate to admit it but it was a lot of fun.

Finally, I know there are families who swear by walkie talkies. We never did this.

Have a great cruise,

Gull

I like Gull's advice. I'd add that they not roam around alone and to also establish a curfew. If they have a seperate cabin from you, they should check in with you, after returning for the evening, but before they go to their cabin.

This has all been good advice. I really appreciated it. I want to give them some freedom and don't want to be overly protective, but I want to be considerate of the other passengers and not just "unleash" the kids on them. They know "hotel rules" and they are typically polite and considerate of others, but you know how teenagers can get when there are more than two together (all training goes out the window) and a cruise will be a new environment.

I am taking two teenagers and a pre-teen on their first cruise. For those of you that have been on cruises, what would be your top 5 tips for behavior/rules/must do/mustn't do?

Appreciate all advice!

Just treat the cruise as if you were going to an unfamiliar city for a trip. Too many parents just assume there aren't any preditors on a ship, but preditors take vacations too.

Don't let them wander off alone, a pair of teens are safer together.

Definitely sign them up for the kids crew/teen club, they'll have a better time and so will you. ;)

We use walkie talkies so we can get ahold of them and vice versa. It is a grest way to always know where your kids/teens are.

Archived