Live from the QM2 - 5 night Canada Cruise

David21

Hi Everyone:

I promised I would do a live report from our Memorial Day Getaway on the QM2.

Embarkation went smoothly for once. Got to Red Hook at Noon and was on

the ship by 12:45. The ship left a little late last night but no big deal.

Seas last night were smooth and calm. Did this cruise last year and had fog the

whole time. Woke up this morning at 6:00 a.m. to get my full day in and the SUN

is out and warm out. I think looking at the weather ahead we are going to luck

out and have nice warm sunny weather. I was thinking since it was May we were

going to be freezing since we are going north. The pools are filled and we are

going to go up to the pool deck - I love the pool in the back by Todd English.

Like the old days when the pools were in the back and you can look out so nice.

So we didn't think we would be laying out today but I think we will have a

nice day laying out today. NOTE: Nice mixed crowd on board -EVERYONE is

nice and friendly. We have reservations for Todd English tonight and Sunday night as I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE. It's great to be back on the QM2.

She is just the best. Couple of crew members recognized us with is always nice.

Okay the girlfriend is waiting with her bathsuit on and bag and saying let's go and get a chair - So off we go.

Tomorrow we are going to the Titantic Musuem and also were the are buried

as I missed that the last time. They said it's a must. Okay hopefully

I will get a chance to right tonight.

We are in a hull balcony cabin with full view - I LOVE THE HULL BALCONIES.

I don't know why people complain about them - we love them as they are so

much bigger too! I love the cabin.

Happy Sailing!

Dave

We're also onboard for the 5 day. The weather is absolutely glorious and the ship is in fine shape - gleaming and beautiful.

Wanted to add that our embarkation went very quickly also and we were in our cabin at 12:20.

The reason we left late last night was actually a real treat for the passengers. It was the 125th anniversay of the Brooklyn Bridge. We were due to leave at 5 pm, but the captain and CD made the decision to stay in port so that the passengers could experience the firworks over the Brooklyn Bridge which began at 8:50 pm. They were magnificent and we all had the best seats in the house. The skyline of Manhattan was lit up and the buildings reflected the shimmer of the fireworks over the bridge as we all stood on deck with the band playing. It was an experience we'll never forget. The schedule for dinner and shows was moved up also so that everyone would be finished in time to enjoy the special fireworks.

Thanks to Cunard for the great idea and for letting us have such a fantastic sailaway! We left shortly after nine and slipped under the Verazanno bridge shortly after. Calm seas.

I have done the Halifax trip twice, once on Carnival and once on the QM2. The Maritime Museum is a short walk from the ship. There is a fair size Titanic collection there (not actually a Titanic museum), but most items are those pulled out at the time of sinking. I'm glad that you are going to see Fairview cemetery as well; I did too. Most of those buried there are anonymous, indicated by numbers, but note the grave of Luigi Gatti, who was (if I recall) the manager of the Palm Court restaurant.

Day Two:

What a day - It was just the perfect day! We just relaxed by the pool most

of the day and meet alot of great people. Alot of repeaters on this cruise.

I think alot of QM2 fans try to squeeze in these short ones to go with our longer

ones. I am so happy today with the weather as I thought for some reason we would be freezing today. Clear skies and calms seas. We are off to dinner now

and then to the show. Yes I am excited to go to the burial site as I an a Titantic

fanatic. Such a sad story. I want to go there and say a prayer. I've been to the

museum before but enjoy it. Probably will have some seafood on the broadwalk.

Haven't heard what the weather is going to be in Canada though. Heard when we

are in Boston it's going to be 82. So I think this is going to be an awesome cruise.

But when you are on the Queen Mary 2 it doesn't really matter I just enjoy

the ship. We are going to one of my favorite bars the COMMODORE CLUB after the show. I just love it there - And that model of the ship is so cool - Hey can I fit that in my suitcase??? I collect ship models. I was hoping my pal Bill Miller the cruise Historian would be here but he is currently on Crystal. We are neighbors if any of you know him. His website is: BillMilleratsea.com great site.

Okay so that's the end of day two. By the way are cabin stewards are the best and my girlfriend and I just love our cabin - W

e actually had the same cabin on the 10 day caribbean cruise in December 07.

Day Three tomorrow.

Good Night everyone

Dave and Marion

Now I am really looking forward to my July 2 Independence Day cruise. thank you for taking the time to do the blogging.

Could I ask just one (or is it two) thing. Could you possibly find out who the 'Future Cruise' lady currently is and if it is Anna then say hi to her and Phil from Paul (from the Crown). I will send you a beer for your troubles (or some other emoticon)

Thank you and keep enjoying what sounds like a fabulous cruise!

Paul Barton

Dave: Thank you for your report from the QM2. Sorry for the error; I double checked, and Luigi Gatti was manager of the A La Carte restaurant on the Titanic... Could you do me a favor? I realize this is not ship related, but I am a bird person, and noticed that there were no sparrows in Halifax in 2006. Please let me know if you see any now. There has been a major population collapse of sparrows in the south of England, especially in London, and certain coastal cities in Europe as well. I suspect an avipox... On a more ship related note, Bill Miller was on the QE2 on the April 12 transatlantic, and gave several lectures. There was also a wreath laying as we went directly over the Titanic on the 96th anniversary of hitting the iceberg, April 14.

Day Three:

What a great day we had. We are totally exhausted though.

We were out the whole day today. We did everything we wanted to do.

However it was chilly and cloudy all day but that didn't stop anyone.

We went to the burial site of the Titantic passengers and also to the museum. We had the best lobster on the broadwalk. Oh my god it was so juicy and fresh. The weather was still better than we thought it would be. Captain told us that tomorrow will be sunny at 78 degrees so should be a great day. Tonight we are getting together with people we have

made friends with and just going to hang out at the Commodore Club.

We are all thinking of maybe staying onboard tomorrow and hanging by the pool but that's still up in the air. Food and service has been first class

all the way as always. I don't want this to end. This is what I hate about the short cruises but I still love them. Okay we are moving now and on our way to Boston now. Calm seas all the way and we have a wonderful night planned. We didn't get to bed until 2:00 a.m. last night since the people we have meet are a blast. NYC people are the best.

Time for a shower and dinner.

Bye for now,

Dave

Thanks for the live reports - we will be on the one week cruise to Canada and NE in September and love to hear positive things about our favorite ship. We will also be in a hull cabin.

My husband is very jealous about the Brooklyn Bridge fireworks - that sounds wonderful - I wish it was happening again in September.

Thanks again for staying in touch.

Day Four on the Queen Mary 2

Today was another perfect day. It's almost to good to be true. We

truly have had great weather. Today was sunny and very warm all day.

We stayed on the ship all day and enjoyed the 3/4 empty ship today.

Alot more people stayed on board then I thought but honestly I don't

find Boston a vacation stop - Nothing against Boston but I rather enjoy

the Queen Mary then Boston (not that there's any wrong with Boston)

We just rather enjoy the pool and had a great lunch at the buffet.

I truly love the aft pools - I like the higher one better. You can see the

people in the Penthouse Duplex Apartments (one day) I got to say

the nicest people are on this cruise. The Captain said tomorrow is

going to be sunny and 84 degrees so you know where we will be.

Funny thing is we thought on this cruise we where going to be inside the whole time and in ports bundle up. I am glad we are experienced cruisers

and packed for everything. We have awesome tans on a Canada cruise.

The staff have been the best. They can't do enough for you.

I've been on the Queen Mary 4 four times and I think the food has improved somewhat. Service even seems better. I truly can't find one

negative thing to say about this cruise except that we are not in the Caribbean but that's in August and September so I am not complaining.

Well we are back to the Commodore Club to meet more friends added to

our list. LOVE IT THERE! Tonight we will take a walk outside for awhile.

We should be sailing shortly so we want to go outside and watch us sail

away and then to the Commodore Club. We saw the NCL Dream in today and she left at 4 off to Bermuda those lucky guys but they are not on the beautiful Queen. So one more day left and this perfect cruise comes to an end but we leave with smiles on our face. We usually go to be by 11 every night but on this cruise the earliest we've been to be has been 2:00 a.m. which I think has to do with the 5 days - you just want it to last.

By the way, TODD ENGLISH WAS HEAVEN JUST HEAVEN.

Anyway sailing on the Queen the Todd English is a MUST don't miss out.

Okay we want to get up on deck and see us pull out of Boston.

And what a warm night it is AWESOME.

Good night fellow cruisers.

Dave and Marion

Day Four on the Queen Mary 2

Today was another perfect day. It's almost to good to be true. We

truly have had great weather. Today was sunny and very warm all day.

We stayed on the ship all day and enjoyed the 3/4 empty ship today.

Alot more people stayed on board then I thought but honestly I don't

find Boston a vacation stop - Nothing against Boston but I rather enjoy

the Queen Mary then Boston (not that there's any wrong with Boston)

We just rather enjoy the pool and had a great lunch at the buffet.

I truly love the aft pools - I like the higher one better. You can see the

people in the Penthouse Duplex Apartments (one day) I got to say

the nicest people are on this cruise. The Captain said tomorrow is

going to be sunny and 84 degrees so you know where we will be.

Funny thing is we thought on this cruise we where going to be inside the whole time and in ports bundle up. I am glad we are experienced cruisers

and packed for everything. We have awesome tans on a Canada cruise.

The staff have been the best. They can't do enough for you.

I've been on the Queen Mary 4 four times and I think the food has improved somewhat. Service even seems better. I truly can't find one

negative thing to say about this cruise except that we are not in the Caribbean but that's in August and September so I am not complaining.

Well we are back to the Commodore Club to meet more friends added to

our list. LOVE IT THERE! Tonight we will take a walk outside for awhile.

We should be sailing shortly so we want to go outside and watch us sail

away and then to the Commodore Club. We saw the NCL Dream in today and she left at 4 off to Bermuda those lucky guys but they are not on the beautiful Queen. So one more day left and this perfect cruise comes to an end but we leave with smiles on our face. We usually go to be by 11 every night but on this cruise the earliest we've been to be has been 2:00 a.m. which I think has to do with the 5 days - you just want it to last.

By the way, TODD ENGLISH WAS HEAVEN JUST HEAVEN.

Anyway sailing on the Queen the Todd English is a MUST don't miss out.

Okay we want to get up on deck and see us pull out of Boston.

And what a warm night it is AWESOME.

Good night fellow cruisers.

Dave and Marion

It sounds wonderful Dave. We can't wait until next Monday to be on her again! I don't think we will be as lucky with the weather on the North Atlantic, but you never know! We will pack for everything.

Have fun.

Sharon & Steve

thanks for posting what sounds like a lovely cruise. nice you saw the NCL DREAM i was on her for 18 nights and had a great time. did you meet up with vic (PARROTHEAD)? not been on QM2 for a while but i love it. just returned from a short cruise on the QUEEN VICTORIA which i loved. did a few sights while i was in BOSTON.

dave

Archived