What to do in Belize?

rocketman1

We are doing something a little different, we debated which excursion to take and could not decide, so I did some surfing about the island and decided that we were truly blessed to be on a cruise and fortunate enough to afford such things, so instead of taking an excursion, we are going to take a water taxi to Ambergis Caye and go to the HOly Cross Anglican School. We are bringing two suitcases loaded with supplies off of their wish list on their web site. We let Francis know we were coming and she said she would put us to work.....so we have chores to do. We just felt very lucky and wanted to share our grace with others.....This may not be for everyone, but it will be the best memories of our trip. Here is their site:

http://www.holycrossbelize.org/

We are doing something a little different, we debated which excursion to take and could not decide, so I did some surfing about the island and decided that we were truly blessed to be on a cruise and fortunate enough to afford such things, so instead of taking an excursion, we are going to take a water taxi to Ambergis Caye and go to the HOly Cross Anglican School. We are bringing two suitcases loaded with supplies off of their wish list on their web site. We let Francis know we were coming and she said she would put us to work.....so we have chores to do. We just felt very lucky and wanted to share our grace with others.....This may not be for everyone, but it will be the best memories of our trip. Here is their site:

http://www.holycrossbelize.org/

What an excellent idea!!!

Also, Gilly Young has a kiosk at the restaurant The Wet Lizard inside the fence. He can arrange any kind of tour of the city you may need. Walk ups are fine.

We had a cave tubing tour arranged, but it cancelled due to the late arrival of our ship (Grand Princess). So we ended up getting a beer, shopping near the tender docks and were then talked into taking a carriage tour. The tour ended up being a blast as a saw a little slice of Belize life. We first went t a part of town that looked "a little rough" to get some cheap beers. There were winos hanging out in front of the Chinese grocer, but they were pretty cool- did not feel threatened at all. We proceeded through some residential areas, went by the embassy, along the waterfront, and ended up at a hotel restaurant for some drinks.

Based on my experience, find a way to see some of the city, relax, have a cool drink, and enjoy. All of the people shuffling on and off busses looked pretty stressed.

• 2 weeks later...

just back from the VALOR and the belize trip was fantatsic i suugest lunch and drinks at the iquana...2 blocks up the street is is the flea market that offers cheaper prices than the terminal. ask mike in iquana rana for his friend to take you aROUND TOWN LIKE WE DID IT WAS SAFE AND SIMPLE. NOT REALLY MUCH TO SEE.YOU WILL SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME STUCK IN TRAFFIC IN REALLY SEEDY STREETS LOOKING AT DEPRESSED POOR PEOPLE WANTING TO HAVE YOU BUY SOMETHING FROM THEM. THE FLEA MARKET IS POLICED AND WE FELT SAFE THERE. THEY PAY $25 DAILY TO HAVE A SPOT IN THE FLEA MARKET.quote=rocketman1;14768756]I am not into snorkeling or tubing but would like a nice tour and perhaps lunch. I am taking my 80+ in laws so I have to be a bit reserved as to what activities we do. Any ideas?

just back from the VALOR and the belize trip was fantatsic i suugest lunch and drinks at the iquana...2 blocks up the street is is the flea market that offers cheaper prices than the terminal. ask mike in iquana rana for his friend to take you aROUND TOWN LIKE WE DID IT WAS SAFE AND SIMPLE. NOT REALLY MUCH TO SEE.YOU WILL SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME STUCK IN TRAFFIC IN REALLY SEEDY STREETS LOOKING AT DEPRESSED POOR PEOPLE WANTING TO HAVE YOU BUY SOMETHING FROM THEM. THE FLEA MARKET IS POLICED AND WE FELT SAFE THERE. THEY PAY $25 DAILY TO HAVE A SPOT IN THE FLEA MARKET.quote=rocketman1;14768756]I am not into snorkeling or tubing but would like a nice tour and perhaps lunch. I am taking my 80+ in laws so I have to be a bit reserved as to what activities we do. Any ideas?

Iquana Rama used to be "in the Village" (inside the fence). When we were there last month, I noticed they have moved "outside the Village".

I walked out Terminal One ....walked over and found them...had a couple of beers and a nice chat with the owner. As a 53 year old lady by myself, I never felt uncomfortable.

Now I would not go strolling through the town by myself, but going over to Iquana was fine.

Archived