Best Grand Cayman snorkeling for beginners?

Grits53

My DH and I are in our 50's, and we have snorkeled once from shore in Cozumel and 3 or 4 times off shore on excursions at St. Thomas, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman. I'd still consider us to be on beginner level. We have our own masks & snorkels but not fins or vests, so we will need to rent those. We'd like to take a leisurely snorkel in a safe place at Grand Cayman, that will provide a decent view of marine life and a bit of coral reef. What would you recommend for us in mid June? Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

5 days till we sail. Would someone be kind enough to advise me on this? I believe my choices are Eden Rock or Sunset House, right? So the question is, should we turn left or right when we leave the tender dock, for our best Grand Cayman snorkel experience? :confused:

5 days till we sail. Would someone be kind enough to advise me on this? I believe my choices are Eden Rock or Sunset House, right? So the question is, should we turn left or right when we leave the tender dock, for our best Grand Cayman snorkel experience? :confused:

Hi,

Yep, Eden Rock or SS House. As you face Georgetown at the tender docks, go right along the shore (you should see the hard rock about a block or two up if you're going the right direction) Eden Rock is less than a 5 minute walk. If you want to snorkel SS House, it might be better to catch a quick cab as it's about 3/4 mile away from the center of Georgetown (but still walkable if you want). You can rent anything you need at either place and SS House usually has cabs waiting to take you back or just ask the dive shop to give them a ring for you.

Eden rock has excellent snorkeling but I personally like SS House better. Their "My bar" bar next to the ocean is a great place to relax after snorkeling or diving. Both have websites so make sure you check them out first and I like to call ahead to see if there's anything special going on or if I think I might need gear so they have it available when I arrive.

Randall

Hi,

Yep, Eden Rock or SS House. As you face Georgetown at the tender docks, go right along the shore (you should see the hard rock about a block or two up if you're going the right direction) Eden Rock is less than a 5 minute walk. If you want to snorkel SS House, it might be better to catch a quick cab as it's about 3/4 mile away from the center of Georgetown (but still walkable if you want). You can rent anything you need at either place and SS House usually has cabs waiting to take you back or just ask the dive shop to give them a ring for you.

Eden rock has excellent snorkeling but I personally like SS House better. Their "My bar" bar next to the ocean is a great place to relax after snorkeling or diving. Both have websites so make sure you check them out first and I like to call ahead to see if there's anything special going on or if I think I might need gear so they have it available when I arrive.

Randall

Hi Randall. Thank you so much for your reply! We will give SS House a try. I will report back here after we return. I appreciate your help! :)

Archived