Stingray City

Horned Frogs

My family and I will be visiting Stingray City in a couple of weeks in Grand Cayman. How is the ocean floor? Is it sandy, rocky, or a mixture? Can I go barefoot or would I need to wear some sandals or watershoes?

Good choice! We were there last week with Moby Dick Tours, and absolutely loved it!

No need for watershoes; you'll be standing on very level sand with few rocks (and literally tripping over the stingrays).

Have fun...be sure to bring your camera!

We were there a week ago today and the water/waves were wonderful. They come past you and rub up against you like a cat against your leg but they are bigger and closer to your waist. Make sure and take a camera. Also, try to feed them if you can. They are amazing creatures.

• 2 weeks later...

• if you want to have new stingray buddies hangin around you the ENTIRE time you are there before you go on your cruise buy some Berkley Gulp Saltwater Squid (or shrimp baits) and bring them with you. The tour operators are very savvy at this game and only bring a small amount of squid to lure the rays to their customers (so they can 'share' the rays with all the other operators) if you have your own food YOU decide when you're done with your stingray experience

• bring your OWN waterproof camera (film, digital whatever) your tourguide will take pics of you but will want $30-50 for a CD burned on your way back to the dock.

Archived