Seeking advice - Constellation

debbi

Very new to cruising, only one previous (MS Sundream). Have found this site really helpful in making decision. Am booked on Constellation in April 2005 for Southern Caribbean. Looking for tips on shore excursions. Husband and I are adventurous so would do either pre-arranged with ship or book ourselves at each port. Any "must do's"? Also, can you take wine on board for your stateroom? Many thanks.......can't wait!

Debbi, bubble wrap, the most important thing in cruising, wrap up the booze, take it in your suitcase, wrap up the kidsters, pack them in the suitcase, those third and forth passengers in a cabin charges can be a killer!

A tip for a newbie, give the kidsters a straw, poke a hole through the suitcase, they breath easier that way, live and learn!

These two excursions very much...

1. Dolphin Fantaseas in Antigua--got to swim with dolphins!

2. The BOB in St. Thomas--was probably the coolest excursion possible. Check out bobusvi.com for details.

Have fun! The Constellation is an awesome ship!! I could not recommend this cruise more..

Hello debbi,

looks that you just started your journey on this board, so I like to welcome you.

Wife and I did the southern cruise on Constellation in Dec of 2002 (a little different intinerary at that time) and we are cruising on this beautiful ship again this Dec. so when we get back, I might have more information for you. During the meantime you may look (if you have not done that yet) in two sections to find a lot of information that might interest you. The first is the Ports of call on this board (listed in the lower portion) and the other one is the Members reviews......there is about 20 long and good reviews by the "members", of the Constellation southern cruise. One is of the same cruise that I was on back in 2002, by 'sacway' - a very good and informative review and there is a number of others that are also describing step by step and day by day all of the activities and many individual excursions. I am sure that you will find them interesting and useful (one of the reviews addresses your question about the wine). The last reviews are pretty recent(04-04), intinerary similar to what you and I will experience.

To find the reviews click on the main CC page ( or the main Cruise Critic 'heading') on the "Reviews" and then pick the ship that you want and the "Members reviews".

Wes

we did this same cruise last year just after thanksgiving and loved itthe best side excusrision of the whole trip was to spend a few days before teh trip in San Juan. got some great deals on priceline thank s to http://www.biddingfortravel.com If you have the time and can find a good deal the wyndham property el conquistador is very nice.

Ate at teh onboard restraunt three times we loved it sooo much

I agree with JBuffet on San Juan. There is a lot to do there - e.g. a trip to the rain forest, a wander around the old town including the forts and the wall.

weislaw - It sounds like the 2005 Constellation will be going back to an itinerary more like it was for Dec 2003 including St. Maarten and St. Lucia.

If it goes to St. Maarten, that is a good place to rent a car and do on your own. Since another couple asked to join us, this was our excursion "best buy". The rental car places by the port were charging about $60 a day but we negotiated a lower price. There are nice beaches - big lively Orient or the quieter Dawn beach. There is suppose to be good snorkeling off the beach at Dawn, but we were there on the heels of a tropical storm which made it too rough for good snorkeling - locals said that is rare. We also went to the French side for a visit to the fort and a snack.

For St. Thomas, there is a lot of good snorkeling - we splurged on the excursion here going with Captain Kathleen who takes up to six passengers for an all day sail. We snorkeled at a couple of places off St. John (great fish and a bunch of rays), the good rum punch - not the too fruity cheap stuff, and a nice lunch. You can also go over to St. John on your own. See the ports of call board for the island for instructions.

St Lucia is another good spot for snorkeling. There are also land excursions but I've heard the roads are rough. We went on a boat trip to see the island and snorkel that someone on organized on our roll call board.

On Antigua, we did a taxi tour including the dock yard - very good if you are into history. There is a dispatcher at the dock who tells you the tours available. They are fixed price - $80 for the 4 hour history tour. We didn't want to be rushed so we paid for an extra hour. While we were working it all out, another couple came up interested in the same tour so we shared the taxi - $25 a head for a tour customized to what we wanted.

debbi.... You're in for a GREAT time! The Southern Caribbean is totally wonderful!

As wieslaw suggested, do check the Ports of Call section of this board under each of your port stops. Good info and you can ask questions there as well.

Note on ANTIGUA: Our favorite is to take a taxi to Long Bay Beach! The sand really is as white as sugar!

This shore excursion offered by the ship in Antigua was not awful (the crew was GREAT) but we wouldn't do it again:

Bird Island Catamaran (Click for Review)

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived